Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Does the 2009 GTS have an anti-theft alarm?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the 2009 GTS have an anti-theft alarm?

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but hear me out...

As you may have seen, I had an 08 Lancer GTS which got totaled in an accident. Today I picked up my 2009 Lancer GTS. I made sure this time around I got all the features and that it's fully loaded (incl. FAST key - didn't have that before).

However, the one thing we noticed is we didnt get a UUSC security paper that we got with the 08 that I bought. So I went to the car to check the anti-theft system. Here's what I observed:

When the car is locked, the RED blinking light is active. However, when I forced myself into the car (I left the window down) I was able to open the door and no alarm sounded. I tried both driver and back doors.

Upon calling the dealer, the manager told me that no alarm will sound, but the engine is immobilized. However, when looking through the NAV system settings, I see there is a menu for "Theft Alarm" but it is grayed out. However, the panic button on the remote does set an alarm off.

Unfortunately, I never tested my 08 GTS alarm system, so I don't know if an alarm should sound when I open a door while it's locked. Can those of you with 08 or 09 GTS just let me know if you have an anti-theft alarm system, to where a car alarm will go off when forced entry is made.

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

If the alarm is really activated then you should be able to make it sound. As long as you don't have the FOB within range of the sensors. When you lower the windows and then get out and lock the car it should make a different beeping sound. At least thats what I have noticed from time to time. So without the FOB on you, if you lean in and open the door the alarm should go off. If it doesn't go off, I would take it to the dealer immediately. The website advertises a "Anti-theft security alarm system" for the ES and the GTS.

Good luck
Old Apr 30, 2008, 05:03 PM

About the 2008 alarm I had a question. When you hit the lock button once, the doors lock and the red light blinks.. so whats the difference if you hit it twice to make the it horn beep?! Does the theft alarm only come on if you hit it twice? And the "engine immobilizer" if you press it only once? Does anyone know? Thanks
Old Apr 30, 2008, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to make sure, did you wait 20 seconds before trying to open the door?
Old May 1, 2008, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

from what iv experienced, clicking it only once should enable the alarm. The engine imobilizer is always active because you need the fob to be present to transmit the start code. clicking the lock button twice primes the car for you to return and be able to enter with out having to hit the unlock button. I have noticed that if you double click twice, sometimes it disables the fob entry and i need to use the unlock button.
Old May 1, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MasterAK
quoting myself

I'm asking before on my car, when you lock the doors, the red light blinks fast for about 20 sec and after 20 sec starts blinking slower and then it's when the alarm is activated. Try it and tell us.
Old May 1, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

i get out of class at 9, so in like 4 hours ill go try it lol

ive never noticed the red light change frequency...learn somethin new every day
Old May 1, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kalpakiotis
i get out of class at 9, so in like 4 hours ill go try it lol

ive never noticed the red light change frequency...learn somethin new every day
Yeah but make sure you let the window open, because you have to try to "steal" it to trigger the alarm.
Old May 1, 2008, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

of course I tried it when i first got the car, but its been a year so i dont remember how long i waited lol
Old May 1, 2008, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by MasterAK
<3...that did the trick! The alarm went off like crazy! I can sleep peacefully now

Thanks again, bro!
Old May 1, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jnick
<3...that did the trick! The alarm went off like crazy! I can sleep peacefully now

Thanks again, bro!
I didn't know my car had an alarm too when one day I triggered it by accident. happy i tried to show the alarm to my father. So I closed the door, left the window open and opened the door from inside right away, and nothing happened. i was furious cause I had to listen to my father's jokes about how I must have been daydreaming in the parking lot that my car has an alarm.
then yesterday i opened the owner's manual cuz I was bored in the car and I read that the alarm needs 20 sec to be armed.
I learned not to underestimate the owner's manual even though we may know 99.9% of the stuff that's in there. Anyway i'm happy that the 09's have the alarm too.
Old May 1, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

ya, its pretty weird cuz i dont remember it taking 20 seconds...and tonight when i tried it i just waited for the light t flash differently and it worked like that...i still think it should be instant lol
Old May 7, 2008, 08:57 PM

Does both ES and GTS have the flashing light when locked? Or just the GTS?
Old May 7, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

The ES does too.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 02:59 AM

hi i bought lancer es 2009 2 months ago but i recently noticed that after locking my car by remote security light doesn't blink but doors get locked , but still i test the system in case broken light i left window opened lock the door with remote and after 1 min i open the door from inside through window it opened without any alarm can any body help me please

Last edited by gagan_josan123; Apr 13, 2015 at 03:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Does the 2009 GTS have an anti-theft alarm?