Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

remote start and warrenty

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
remote start and warrenty

i want to get a remote starter installed in my car but i was wondering if i would have any problems from , specifically them saying i voided the warranty of the car. I am having a certified professional install it but i just wanted to see what everyone has to say, especially those of you already with a remote starter. The only reason I was worried about this is because today someone told me they were going to get a remote starter put in their car but did not because their dealer told them the warranty would be voided....
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Manual or CVT? Shops usually don't like installing in manuals (at least my experience). I've previously called Mitsu & asked about this very subject. They said that it can void the warranty if the problem can be traced to the remote start. I've had a Python 871XP remote start on an auto & had no issues. The remote start also prevents engine grind if you accidentally turn the ignition too far when the car is already on.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 10:55 AM

cvt
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well the risk is slight. a friend of mine was about to get one installed as well, heard about possible warranty issue & backed off from the install. he since then changed his mind & will be getting one as soon as funds come about. I've personally never heard of issues from any shop.

cvt should be okay. I've never driven one, but as long as the car makes you put it in park before removing the key, you'll be fine always use e-brake if you're worried about possible lurching forward, like a manual can do when not in park
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

Simple answer is no.

What dealers are doing is telling customers they void a warranty unless they have it done by one of their techs, which costs about 800 bucks now a days. It is a good way to make a buck for the sales guy.

On the other hand, if you have some hack and slash guy in there and he royally makes it look like a scene from nightmare on elm st, a dealer can void your electrical portion of the warranty.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 11:31 AM

great info, thanks guys
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:04 PM

just so you know there is a law out and u can look this up on SEMA's web site that states you can make any modification to your car without voiding your warrenty. the only way it will be voided is if the part that you put in directly causes the problem as kidneythief13 has already said
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Yes its definitely a risk. Thats why I had my remote starter installed through a dealer approved car shop. Cost about $750 overall for the starter + installation and full warranty but it should be worth it.
Old Jun 8, 2008, 12:50 PM

really great info, i was dreading calling mitsu tomorrow but now i feel a lot better