Notices
Lancer How To Requests / Questions / Tips If you have any questions, post them in here.

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control

Since the new lancers and evo are throttle by wire and the ecu controls cruise, can cruise be added to a DE lancer and if so what is needed? My gf has a 2010 lancer DE and was asking if I could add cruise control.

Any help/insight would be very much appreciated.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't believe that any Mitsubishi vehicle currently being produced is "drive by wire". All of the throttle controls are controlled through the ECU and so on. That being said it would probably be more difficult to install cruise on any of the 08+ models that didn't come equiped with it from the factory.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mshilto89
I don't believe that any Mitsubishi vehicle currently being produced is "drive by wire". All of the throttle controls are controlled through the ECU and so on. That being said it would probably be more difficult to install cruise on any of the 08+ models that didn't come equiped with it from the factory.
Drive by wire is defined as a control to the throttle body, by wire. Not cable, electronic.

You will have to most likely get a new steering wheel, wiring? and a reprogram of a few ECU's. I would be talking to the dealership about this one.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses and yeah not drive by wire but electronic.
Thats what I meant when I asked the question. Incorrect word choice sorry, but the throttle control is different than on older cars isnt it? I guess the question I am asking is, what are the sensors that control cruise on say the 2.4Ls that have cruise (is it ECU controlled by the VSS or wheel speed sensors or something different). If so then all I would need are cruise control buttons wired into the correct harness(rather than a whole steering wheel) and a way to activate the cruise settings within the ECU. I highly doubt it is that simple hence the reason I ask.

The dealership answer is understood, but the closest Mitsu dealer near me told me they didnt have a mechanic who was qualified enough to remove my downpipe/o2 housing without potentially damaging it with the torch. I had to bring my ix to a subaru dealer, sad day (though they had it done the same day)! Very low confidence in a dealer mechanic team who cant figure out how to remove an exhaust.