Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct

Ok, this is tutorial for the people with an Injen Short Ram Intake. Please do not post anything here. A seperate forum will be made for discussion later.

The resources you will need are...

-Stock Airbox Ram Air Tube (also 2 little push clips to snap the front down)
-Injen SRI heat shield. (need proper size socket and adjustable wrench to remove/install.
-Dremel Tool with cutting disk and grinding disk. - $60 bux total from Sears.
-Sandpaper (Anything such as 100 grit to 400 grit will do) - $5
-Your choice of paint. (I used Ford Red Enamel engine 500 degree paint) - $4.80
-Safety glasses (for sure) and maybe a respirator.
-Scribe or some sharp object so you can trace on metal.
-Wet washcloth for later...

Before you get started, make sure you have all the necessary tools above. Clear off a nice work area. I did most of my work in the basement and garage. You will need access to a power outlet, so you might need an extention cord.

Ready? Here we go!!!!

Step 1: Measuring the heat shield for making the hole for the ram air tube.
First off, the hole needed to be made is 2 1/4 inches wide by 3 1/8 inches tall. For those of you who don't know what that looks like, I included pictures.

Now how do you find out where to place the hole on the heat shield? You can either leave the heat shield in the car and hold the ram air tube up to where you think it goes and trace an outline (like I had to), or you can use the measurements I took of where mine ended up.

Turn the heat shield over onto the back side. Measure 4 3/4 inches up from the bottom and draw a little horizontal mark with your scribe. That is where the lowest portion of the tube will be at. (pic below)

Next, measure 1 1/2 inches from the left side of the heat and make a little vertical mark with the scribe. This is where the right side of the tube is at. (pic below)

Put the ram air tube outlet on the marks you made and trace around it with the scribe. The next step is to use the dremel tool to cut out the tracing you just made.
Attached Thumbnails How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-measurement-height.jpg   How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-measurement-wide.jpg   How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-measurement-1.jpg   How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-measurement-2.jpg  
Old May 3, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Put on your safety glasses and respirator for the next few steps.

Get out the handy dremel tool and insert the cutting disk into it.
Prop up the heat shield on a piece of wood since it will make it easier than holding it the whole time.

Turn the dremel onto a medium-high speed. I used 7/10 speed setting. Slowly start to cut around the line you scribed. Don't use super human strenght to try to cut with the dremel, you will just shatter the blade. Keep a good strong hold on the tool so it doesn't catch a snag and run away on you. That little blade is spinning at almost 20k RPM's. Work your way around the 4 curves of the shape by rolling your wrist around them. Work the the straight-aways first, cutting all the way thru the metal. Next work on the corners carefully, making sure to try to get a nice cut out curve. If you do bad, no big deal. It can be fixed in the next step. (pic of cutting below)

Once you have the rough shape cut out of the metal heat shield, insert the grinding tool into the dremel. Go around all the edges you just cut out and get all the rough burrs off. The grinding process can also be used to re-shape the hole you made. Make sure the corners are nice and round. (pic of grinding below)

When all the burrs are smoothed out and the corners are rounded real nice, it is time for a test fit. Insert the ram air tube in the hole you just made in the heat shield. It just be just about the same size as the hole you just made so it fits snug. (pic below of test fit)

Attached Thumbnails How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-dremmel-cutting-1.jpg   How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-dremmel-cutting-2.jpg   How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-dremmel-smoothing.jpg   How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-hole-smoothed.jpg   How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-test-fit.jpg  

Old May 3, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Now if your heat shield got all banged up in the process of cutting and grinding like mine did , you will probably want to paint it again.

You will need to go get a nice paint from an auto store. I used red engine enamel paint since it will withstand the heat of the engine. The color is your choice. (below is paint pic)

Rough up the surface of your heat shield and ram air box by sanding with anything from 100 grit to 500 grit sandpaper. Make sure you get every little nook and cranny because you want the paint to stick good. (sanding pic below)

Once everything is sanded, use the wet rag or washcloth to wipe off dust and oils from what you are going to be painting. Proceed to the garage or somewhere that you don't mind overspray getting on. I hung my heat shield on a unbent coat hanger from the rafters of my garage. I then sprayed it with 2 or 3 coats of engine enamel paint. (pic below)

I painted my ram air duct by putting it on a cardboard box and making sure to spray about 2 or 3 even coats on it. Here is what the finished product looks like.

Attached Thumbnails How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-2paints.jpg   How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-sanding.jpg   How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-hanging-painting.jpg   How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-both-painted.jpg  
Old May 3, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Let the paint dry for a few hours. Keep it at least above 50F or no more than 90F with 50% humidity or less. It was about 55 outside in my garage when I painted mine. This will ensure the paint will be cured and stay stuck to what you just painted.

When you are sure it is dry, proceed to installing the parts back to your engine compartment. Put the heat shield on first, make sure it is tight.

Then put the ram air tube into the heat shield. Get your little snap screw thingys and bolt it back down in front of the radiator support.

Here is what my install looks like:

The next step is to go out for a test drive. This will make a huge difference on hot summer days when the SRI is choking for cooler air. I hope everyone liked this tutorial, it was my first. I took as many pix as I could, documenting everything. If you have any questions, there will be a thread up soon on where questions will be posted.

-wiretap
Attached Thumbnails How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-front-installed.jpg   How To: Injen Heat Shield Air Duct-rear-installed.jpg  
Old May 3, 2005, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Discuss here --> https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=137103