Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

RRM Header: Install, Review, How To, Everything WITH PICS 56K No Way!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2007, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Post RRM Header: Install, Review, How To, Everything WITH PICS 56K No Way!

Ok, it’s my turn on the plate. Since we need some good how to’s and reviews I made a promise to myself that everything I put on my car I am going to document and review for the sake of our Lancer community. So, here I go…

Not to long ago I just bought some RRM headers from another member for a price.

Name:  HeaderCEL.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  86.7 KB

I’m not going to say unless it’s ok with him, but anyways…New they are $300, I paid less than $250. If I would have bought then new at $300 or $350 I would have been a little disappointed because of finishing and other things. For instance on the runners you can kind of see some “imperfections” on them. To me they looked like “screw on metal pipes” were used and kinda welded together to make these headers. Look at the pics and you make the judgments.

Bottom of header “rings”

Top of header “rings”
Name:  HeaderTopRings.jpg
Size:  62.6 KB

Also the nut at the bottom of the header was not welded all the way around. There was a small gap that was not fully welded to the header.

Bottom bolt “gap”
Name:  NutGap.jpg
Size:  45.4 KB

Now, this would have not compromised the function of this nut but for $300 I would expect everything to be top notch. I’m sure that is understandable. Oh, and they didn’t have “Road Race” etched into them. I could have sworn that I had seen a pic that had RR etched into some headers, maybe I didn’t but if they never were it would be a good idea. Otherwise I think the craftsmanship was fine.

Name:  CompareBottom.jpg
Size:  64.8 KB

Name:  Compare2.jpg
Size:  71.5 KB

Design/craftsmanship 8.5/10

Install

Tools: Of course your gonna need tools. You going to be looking at, at least 1 socket wrench (I used 3) I would use two to have some versatility (A Medium and Large) 10, 12, 14 and 19 mm sockets, the extenders, 14 mm or 9/16 box wrench (for the peel back) a pair of pliers, a rope (for the rope trick)

Disclaimer: I am writing this off of memory so if I get a socket wrong don’t shoot me. Now let’s start! It is not a good idea to work on hot exhaust manifolds soo let your car cool off.

Name:  StockerManifold.jpg
Size:  92.7 KBNow take you medium or large S. Wrench with extender and 12 mm socket and work on the four bolts that are holding on the heat shield.

Name:  ShieldBoltsOff.jpg
Size:  66.6 KB

Once those are off look at the O2 sensor.
Name:  O2Wire.jpg
Size:  44.2 KB
To be careful (Since O2 sensors cost money) take a 10 MM socket and unbolt it from the point near where it connects to the “snap on point” in the wire and “unsnap it”.
Name:  ShieldOff.jpg
Size:  92.9 KB

It should be about a foot from where your stocker mani is. Once that is unbolted take your pliers and unscrew the O2 sensor. Unscrew it out carefully; take it out, and PUT IT IN A SAFE PLACE.
Name:  TakingOffO2.jpg
Size:  57.4 KB

Hell, go ahead and screw them into your new header and put those up. Now take your 12 mm socket again and start working on those nuts that are holding that stocker in place.
Name:  TakingOffNuts.jpg
Size:  49.4 KB
There should be 7 12 mm bolts and two 14 mm bolts with washers. Once you got off the 12 mm bolts its time to go to the 14 mm bolts. You’re going to need the extender for the one on your right but that one is still no problem.
Name:  TakingOffNuts2.jpg
Size:  83.8 KB
Once that is off it is time for the “Nut from HELL”. You have two options the “rope trick” or the “peel back”. I had more luck with the “peel back” but I’ll cover both. For the “peel back” take you wrench with a 12 mm socket and go to your timing belt cover. There are four bolts that you need to get to. They should be obvious. Once you take off the cover (or move it to the side) you should see the “plate” that is blocking the nut. Take your pliers and turn it and peel it back enough as to where you can get your 14mm box wrench to it.

Once you got that wrench on apply that torque and break it loose. WARNING! Be careful when taking off that nut and washer near the open belt cover. If you drop something down there this install is officially over and the situation is out of your hands! To avoid this when taking those things off just reach around and carefully loosen that nut with your hands when you’re able.

Now for the “rope trick” Umm…take your box wrench which the rope tied to it and place it on the nut as low as you can. Pull the rope trough the runners and…pull. Repeat as necessary.
Name:  RopeTrick.jpg
Size:  108.6 KB

Now that the stocker mani bolts are off its time to get under the car. If you’re a big guy you might need a ramp or something but I fit and had good mobility. Look at your down pipe and loosen up those bolts with your 19 mm socket with extender.

Now that these bolts are off put the 14 mm socket on the wrench of you choice and go to work on the bolt that is holding the down pipe to the block or something.
Name:  HoldingBolt.jpg
Size:  45.0 KB

Off? Cool. Now get back on your feet and take off that mani.
Name:  HeaderOff.jpg
Size:  79.1 KB
Check your gaskets and MAKE SURE you put them back on your car or you will be doing this install twice (Like yours truly) Put your new mani on tighten the nuts and bolts that you worked with. Here is the kicker; with the way your O2 sensor is sitting it won’t connect back to its original spot. No problem just move the wire around and down on the side coolant pipe.
Name:  MovedO2Wire.jpg
Size:  76.8 KB
I don’t think that one gets hot so it should be ok.
Name:  MovedO2Wire2.jpg
Size:  57.8 KB
And umm…I believe you are done! Double check everything after you disconnect your battery so the ECU can reset (15 minutes) After you double checked everything a second time pat yourself on the back! You are done! Start your car and let it “learn” then go for your well deserved ride!
Name:  HeadersFront.jpg
Size:  120.8 KB

Name:  HeadersBackSide.jpg
Size:  105.3 KB
Install: 4-5/10

Impressions: I’ve read everyone experiences a loss of low end torque. I don’t think I see that. As far as high end Mmmm….YES! Its there! Around 4K-4.5K ish you’ll feel that extra kick in first gear. It’s not necessarily a big RPM range that I feel the change in but I do notice that my car revs faster. Which equals a HP gain Since I’m an auto and all of you auto owners know 3rd gear sucks soo hard. 3rd gear was long and in dire need of more top end. This does it! It pulls fairly strong through 3rd and if I keep my foot planted a pull to 100 does not suck (Read my mods) It really brought me joy. These new headers though did make my exhaust louder (duh). It didn’t change it raspy or anything like that but it is louder. If you know your car well enough and you go to put these on you WILL hear a change in your exhaust. So, short and simple, it’s louder. If I had to say gain wise maybe 5 HP. Around the same as the pulley (which you better have). But the top end and third gear may make it a little better than the pulley. After around 50 miles for me my “CEL” came on. I have the CEL eliminator but I misplaced it somewhere (and its driving me crazy) so when I find it I’ll put it on. (I found it today!) I never thought I would want the RRM headers but since I got them cheaper than the $300 price I could not pass these up and I’m glad they are on my car. I think I may have an exhaust leak though so I need to get back under there and try and tighten the bolt(s) up if I can. Am I happy with them? YES if they were $300 I would be “satisfied” but for the price I got them for I am happy! I feel it is a good product! When I get the piggy I will have an even bigger smile on my face!

Any questions? Ask!
Old Feb 5, 2007, 03:07 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Discuss this thread here.