Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Window moleskin felt installation *MERGED*

Old May 15, 2007, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To: Window moleskin felt installation *MERGED*

Alright guys as promised, here are some pics of my install this morning with my window guides...

As most of you know (I hope) the 2008 Mits Lancer does not come equipped with felt on the interior window weatherstripping. This is a huge problem if you have tinted windows as the stiff rubber causes particles and debris to get caught in the stripping and scratch your tint.

This is an overview of the entire door panel.

You need to remove screws at the door handle, and the door grip. I recommend a very tiny standard head screwdriver to remove the plastic caps. The handle cap stays attached, as it has a hinge.

There is also a screw with a cap on it on the non hinge side of the door that needs removed.

Then the door can be popped outward and lifted up to expose the weather-stripping better. (Please note:the front tweeters in the sails need popped off for the front doors, if you have them equipped)

Then the weather stripping can be pulled upward, and out of the door channel... You do not need to remove the entire door panel!

I would then recommend sanding the two faces of the channel that press against the window. Check out my mad-sanding skills!

Then make sure to use rubbing alcohol on the surfaces to prep them for adhesion, and allow for dry time. The felt I ordered was from http://www.tintprotector.com I ordered the universal kit, and had about a foot left over after all four windows. It comes in a single strip about an inch wide, and all you have to do is cut it straight down the middle and apply it to the two surfaces of each channel.

It should look like this when complete. Sorry about the pic quality, they are from my phone... But hopefully this will help at least someone out It took me about an 60-75 min to complete all four windows. I would definitely recommend the moleskin from http://www.tintprotector.com It is an excellent product and they shipped it to me very quickly. Feel free to ask any questions, I personally thought that it was an easy install, but I have a fair amount of knowledge and background with cars like these... Cheers!
Old May 17, 2007, 10:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Discuss this thread here.
Old Aug 27, 2007, 01:19 AM

Here is my attempt to install felt moleskin.

1. Remove 3 screws on every door.

2. Pry out the weather strip starting at the end facing front of the car.

Be careful not to bend the plastic door panels too much. The nipples that hold door panels to the frame are a joke and can jump out of their sockets and get lost inside the door.
It happened to me and I had to remove entire panel to find it.

Cut the felt strip in two. Sand and clean with alcohol the weather strips and carefully apply the felt.

Old Aug 27, 2007, 01:37 AM

I just want to warn perfectionists here. If you don't want to get insulted by crippled Mitsu's assembly quality
(at least where door panels are concerned) don't do this on your own.
I've found that whoever was putting together doors on my Lancer had forgotten to fix a couple of things.
First, door opening lever assembly was fastened with only one screw, when there should be two.
Then, they missed one of the white nipples as seen on this photo.