Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Fill/fix the license plate holes in your OEM bumper

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2007, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To: Fill/fix the license plate holes in your OEM bumper

This DIY job is perfect if you are thinking about getting your bumper/car repainted. This will get rid of the holes used to mount your license plate for a much cleaner look (once color matched to the rest of the car)

Supplies/Tools:
Permatex 4 minute epoxy
100 and 300 grit sandpaper/sanding block
Body filler or spot putty
Rattle can primer (paint optional)
Tape
Newspaper or plastic bags

Start by sanding the front, back, and inside of the holes with your 100 grit. This ensures a good bond between the epoxy and the bumper. Then clean the dust off with a wet paper towel and dry.

Next, using tape and paper or a plastic bag, seal the back of the hole. This is so the epoxy doesn't just fall through the hole. I used paper because I didn't think of using tape and plastic when I did it. You want the epoxy to spread around back there so it holds in better.

Next mix the epoxy, and fill up the holes. You don't want them pouring over the edge of the bumper, you want it dipped. The body filler will be used to fill the dip.

Sand the bumper again to clear off any epoxy that isn't in the hole, and sand the epoxy in the hole to roughen it up for a better bond. Then fill the holes with filler. Try to get the filler as flush as possible.

Next, you will sand the filler using the 300. Clean and dry. Then mask off to prep for the primer.

Next you will spray the primer. You want to do several thin coats, 1 thick coat is more likely to run and cause problems.

Now this could be your last step if you are going to bring your car to be repainted right away. The filler is sealed from the elements by the primer and shouldn't have problems being driven around like that. I went a step furthur since I'm not sure when I will be getting my car repainted, although I do plan on it.

For those of you going past just the primer phase, you will wetsand the primer with 300 grit and prep for the paint that somewhat matches your car. That includes cleaning again with wet paper towel and drying it.

Next you will spray the paint. Again, several thin coats as compared to 1 thick coat.

Here is the somewhat finished product. The paint doesn't match but I like it better than holes and primer. If you have the know how and tools, you can do this and repaint your bumper or entire car to match. If not, this is the last step you can do before bringing your car/bumper in to be colormatched.

I hope this helps some people out. I'm sure this can be done to any holes you have, like those trying to fill the center hole in the trunk after putting on an Evo wing. Thanks for looking.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 07:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Discuss this thread here.