Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

AC Blower Motor/resistor

Old Jun 23, 2010, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC Blower Motor/resistor

Not too much info out there on our cars of how to do this so i chose to tackle this myself. So heres my quick how-to.

Ok. first. unplug your battery. im not sure if its completely necessary but better safe than sorry.
Our blower motors and resistor are hidden under and behind the glovebox. so clean out your crap then youll wana take out the left knob.
Name:  lunapic_127734632219941_2.gif
Views: 0
Size:  15.9 KB
you wana push it in from inside the dash towards the middle of the gb, then down towards you, then it should just fall out. the right knob doesnt come off the same way but you can just pull it left and the gb should fall off. on your left you wana remove the 3 silver nuts.
Name:  lunapic_127734632219941_12.gif
Size:  16.2 KB
now look above your feet and remove this plastic piece by sliding it towards you.
Name:  lunapic_127734632219941_19.gif
Size:  25.9 KB
now you should have access to your resisor.
Name:  lunapic_127734632219941_23.gif
Size:  18.2 KB
Its held in by 2 screws. unplug. remove. replace. now if you look at the resistor and you find a raised flange in the middle
Name:  lunapic_127734632219941_27.gif
Size:  17.3 KB,
your resistor is crap. it can be repaired but is better replaced.

Thats it for the resistor.
Old Jun 23, 2010, 08:02 PM

Now for the blower motor.

its a bit easier. under the gb you'll find your blower motor. it has three screws holding it in.
Name:  lunapic_127734632219941_37.gif
Size:  27.4 KB
again unplug. remove. replace.
im not sure if theres a sure way to know if its good or not but it probably is. From my experience id suggest checking your resistor first befor buying a new motor.
Name:  mail-4.jpeg
Size:  5.5 KB
Now your almost done! put your glove box back together and head to your engine.
you're gonna need to remove your air filter to get to this little hose.
Name:  acblock2oq9.th.jpg
Size:  4.4 KB
its coming off the middle of your firewall. If your ac and heat dont work or only work on 4 then its probably because of this lil guy. grab a wire hanger or drain cleaner wire and shove it in there. try your best to unclog this. I've read alot of crapp should come out but i got nothing but dust.
Now finally, plug your battery back in and enjoy the heat/ac!

I just did this today and my car makes strange sucking noises when i put the ac on right away but if turned on after about 5 minutes of driving there is no noise. i probably have something stuck in my system that i need to unclog. Ill update when i've figured it out.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 02:49 PM

hope some1 found this useful.
Old Aug 28, 2010, 04:12 PM

I had a loud clicking sound coming from the motor, so I took everything apart and the last owner had sandpaper, electrical tape, and a foam gasket in the motor fan. Anyways, the motor still vibrates a bit and makes some noise. Anyone know if there is a way to balance the motor? Could the two small screws on the bottom of the motor housing have anything to do with it?
Old Aug 28, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pkron05
I had a loud clicking sound coming from the motor, so I took everything apart and the last owner had sandpaper, electrical tape, and a foam gasket in the motor fan. Anyways, the motor still vibrates a bit and makes some noise. Anyone know if there is a way to balance the motor? Could the two small screws on the bottom of the motor housing have anything to do with it?
It's more then likely your blower wheel has lost a wieght.
They sometimes have wieghts like tire wieghts and will shake if lost.

You could try looking for it and placing it on different fins until it stops or you could find a electrical motor supply house near you that rebalances blower wheels and have that done or just replace the blower wheel.

As for the screws, if they are snugged up tight then it's not them.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks so much! It turned out to be my issue. Problem solved!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the pics. This helped better than the YouTube videos I found, and replacing the resistor fixed the air flow issue. Unfortunately, the AC didn't come back to life with it, so onto the next troubleshooting step...
Old Jul 25, 2019, 03:44 PM

Thanks for the detail pics and the write-up! I've needed to replace the resistor for a few years now and finally started to work on it. The FSM has really terrible directions that basically say to take apart the entire dash. I started doing that and it just seemed like so much work for one little part. I'm glad I re-checked EvoM to see how it had been done before, so much easier!

Now to repair the bound up heater control cables...