Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Install RRM Clutch Line

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2010, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How To: Install RRM Clutch Line

I installed the RRM clutch line on my 2002 OZ and wanted to let everyone know about it.
I was unable to find any pics of this job so here it is done.

As you can see the only part of the factory clutch line this replaces is the part that is already metal.
Here is the stock part.

Also RRM's descrition online reads: "
This clutch line not only replaces the stock one but is designed to bypass the clutch slave modulator. This modulator is the orifice placed in the line that softens the engagement of the stock clutch. Perhaps you noticed how wimpy your stock clutch feels? This line is made of the highest quality braided stainless steel with a red polymer outer coating to insure longevity and killer looks."

Now I couldn't tell how to install this part or how this thing "is designed to bypass the clutch slave modulator."
So I called RRM and talked to their "head tech guy" and he yold me that it replaced the metal portion of the factory clutch line and he didn't know how it bypassed the "clutch slave modulator".

I have no issues with the part, it looks good and is made nice.
I do how ever have a issues with the fact that I don't think, I'm not totaly sure here, that this bypasses anything in the stock setup.

The clutch pedal feels almost just like stock, and I put in a Xtreme pressure plate at the same time.

So my final advise is don't get this unless the money is worth the looks for you.
Unless Rock chimes in and tells us I'm wrong and it really does bypass something.
But he'll need to explain where the "modulator" is also.

Easy install though.

1: Unscrew factory line, Break fluid will come out here so be careful

2: Install new line (install fixed side in clutch slave cylinder first then install spinning side inline)
Make sure both sides are good and tight so you don't have any leaks, but don't break them by tryin' to man handle either

3: Refill master cylinder and bleed clutch via the bleeding port (right above where line goes into clutch slave cylinder) just like you do breaks.

Last edited by mci2727; Nov 20, 2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that should have replaced the soft rubber side of the line, thats the part that expands under pressure. Is it possible that you replaced the wrong half of the line? It does look awfully short to replace the upper though. My ebay clutchline replaced the entire rubber section of the hose and I only paid about $30 for it shipped, and I've had it for 4 years if anyone wants to challenge the quality of an ebay clutchline. Was also on a stage 3 clutch for 3 of those 4 years. It made my clutch feel a little better, I wouldn't really say a huge improvement. P.S. Im not really much of an RRM fan, I think you may have been had. By the way, there is no "orifice", just a soft line that expands under pressure, much like why you would replace your brake lines with stainless steel ones.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 06:58 PM

EvoMoto has a write up on the upper line. It says there is a restrictor pill and spring in the line. I guess I will find out when I install mine next month! I bought the lower one just for looks!!
Old Nov 20, 2010, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo-B
EvoMoto has a write up on the upper line. It says there is a restrictor pill and spring in the line. I guess I will find out when I install mine next month! I bought the lower one just for looks!!
Chop open your stock line and find out and let us know. There wasnt anything in mine.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by imalancerman
Wow, that should have replaced the soft rubber side of the line, thats the part that expands under pressure. Is it possible that you replaced the wrong half of the line? It does look awfully short to replace the upper though.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking it would do (replace the rubber).
Instead it replaces the ONLY part of the line that is already metal.
Had I known this, I would've spent my $70 on something else.

I am sure that this is the only part on the line this is able to replace, the rubber does not have thread in fittings on both side, one side is a banjo bolt connection (which is why this line would not replace the rubber).

I do think RRM has some good products, I do think they have some money holes as well.
Which is why I did this write-up.
I wish I saw this before I bought.

Last edited by mci2727; Nov 20, 2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo-B
EvoMoto's write-up is good.
http://www.evomoto.com/tech_articles...h_article_id=4
Though it is for a Evo with external slave cylinder.
But the upper rubber line looks like it came off my car, they are the same.

They are saying the restrictor is in the Slave cylinder behind the bleeder port and you push it out through the other side where the hose hooks up.

I know this can't be done on my car as the 02-03 bleeder ports are above the hose hook-ups on the slave cylinder.
Is the restricor still under the bleeder port though?
I have yet to see a "how to" on removing the restricor on the 02-03 Lancer.

Last edited by mci2727; Nov 20, 2010 at 11:12 PM.