Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

Evo knob install in OZ. (Pics. How To.)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2003, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Evo knob install in OZ. (Pics. How To.)

Being tired of my stock OZ shift knob, I decided to try a swap with a stock Evo knob (thanks again Emil!). You might be wondering why I made a "How To" for this... Well, as many of you have found out, most aftermarket knobs leave a certain amount of gap on the stock shifter. Gap = Ugly.

Exhibit A:

This is how to fix the gap.

PARTS NEEDED:

4 rubber washers (size approx 7/8" diameter with 3/8" whole)
1 metal washer (size approx 1" diameter with 1/2" whole)

Cost: $0.61

1. First, you MUST remove the center console from back to front. Evilution has a GREAT how to for this in his B&M short shifter install here:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=25579

NOTE: Removing the front-most passenger side console piece was a PAIN. Be careful not to break any clips.

2. Once you've taken apart the console you should be looking at this. Notice the boot support ring that is permantly bonded to the shifter.

3. Place the washers on the shifter in this order: 2 rubber, metal, 2 rubber. The metal washer is used to give a bit more support, and I found that only 1 rubber washer on each side didn't seem to cut it, at least not to my liking. Push the stack down farther than needed, as the stack tightens itself when you pull it up to the desired height.

4. Reassemble the console working backwards. The end result is MUCH better looking, and not as ghetto as strapping a rubber band under the shift boot (my first idea).

Overall, I really like this knob better than the OZ knob. I don't think it shortens the shift, but it is about 3 times lighter than the OZ knob, which makes the shifting feel much smoother IMO.

Old Sep 10, 2003, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more thing:

Since you have to take apart the entire console, I recommend you take the time and Armor-All everything. Its the perfect time to clean up that hard to reach dirt on your parking brake and close to the seat.

Total install time (minus the cleaning): About 45 minutes.

Discuss this thread here.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Sep 16, 2003 at 11:33 AM.