Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

Flip key for my '04 OZ

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2014, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flip key for my '04 OZ

So I got bored and bought one of these of eBay:

Remote Folding Key Flip Shell Case Uncut Blank For Mitsubishi Lancer 2 Buttons

And it actually works (:

Getting the key blank cut was a chore. Don't bother with the Home Depot, or most hardware stores. I found a locksmith that nailed it. They pointed out the blank wasn't perfect - shoulder wasn't quite right, but they cut it. It was tough to turn in all the door locks and trunk, but the ignition was easy. Putting the key mechanism back together was tricky. You need to wind up the spring to snap it up correctly. Not too bad.

Getting the remote PCB you work was a pain, all my fault. Take the rubber bumper off, not needed.

So far, best 10 bucks I've spent in a long time.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by rickb928
So I got bored and bought one of these of eBay:

Remote Folding Key Flip Shell Case Uncut Blank For Mitsubishi Lancer 2 Buttons

And it actually works (:

Getting the key blank cut was a chore. Don't bother with the Home Depot, or most hardware stores. I found a locksmith that nailed it. They pointed out the blank wasn't perfect - shoulder wasn't quite right, but they cut it. It was tough to turn in all the door locks and trunk, but the ignition was easy. Putting the key mechanism back together was tricky. You need to wind up the spring to snap it up correctly. Not too bad.

Getting the remote PCB you work was a pain, all my fault. Take the rubber bumper off, not needed.

So far, best 10 bucks I've spent in a long time.

Is there a link to this key? I haven't been able to find one.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 12:46 PM

eBay

Sorry, but you can search eBay for 'lancer flip key' and get hits, like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Remote-Folding-Key-Flip-Shell-Case-Uncut-Blank-For-Mitsubishi-Lancer-2-Buttons-/121164976222?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ALancer&hash=item1c35fed05e&vxp=mtr
They come and go.

A few notes:

- the battery terminal was missing from mine, and I used the one from the original remote case. It needs to be formed carefully to be reliable.

- If it seems you have to push hard and repeatedly to make the buttons work, check the battery terminal, and form it better.

Overall, a winner still for me.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 12:46 PM

Replacement

After about a year, the buttons started failing, the rubber swells. Whatdoyouwant for $9?

So I bought a new one, swapped the key, no problem.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 06:47 AM

And after all that, I wrecked the OZ. Couldn't stop in time to avoid the pickup in front of me, the hitch speared my front end, and:

Split the condenser and radiator
Bent the radiator support
Cracked both headlights
Cracked coolant reservoir
Bent hood, latch, etc.

Ran fine for 5 minutes after that, headlights were still aimed right, tracked perfectly, front fenders still aligned, it was fixable.

Except for the paint. A triple-stage paint job would cost more than everything else, doubling the repair cost.

Goodbye, OZ, I enjoyed you.

And I have some leftovers. Anyone want a working remote, working flip key remote from an eBay seller with a blank to cut for your own car? I'll mail it to ya, my treat.

And I have a timing belt kit, unused, belt marked 'MD176387', GMB tensioner and water pump with gasket, all NIB. Msg me, or scold me for not posting it in a sale forum.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 02:06 PM

Update, I don't have a second working remote, just a used shell... sorry...