Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

How To: Install a Evo X ecu on a NA Lancer.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BKGTS22
Can I use EcuFlash to write the file from the Lancer ecu to the Evo X ecu? Or do I have to use the MUTIII?
If you're talking about the engine coding, you'll need the MUT3 or you can do it also with Lexia XS tool.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help... how to install evo x boost solenoids to eliminate the P0243 & P0247? I tried to connect each solenoid to ecu pinout 52 & 53, CEL still there. Please guide.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by boymay22
Help... how to install evo x boost solenoids to eliminate the P0243 & P0247? I tried to connect each solenoid to ecu pinout 52 & 53, CEL still there. Please guide.
How did you plug them?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:27 PM

Did anyone figure it out?

So I'm about to head down the boosted path as many others have done using all RA parts (I have a 2010 ES 5-speed). I plan on having it professionally tuned by Works, I would rather pay than gamble with my car trying to figure it out myself. I live in a area where ECU codes = not getting required stickers...Sucks... So from what I've found, this is the route I should go...

Buy Evo X GSR ECU (To not have code P0365 & have Mivec to remain enabled)
Create a Custom Rom for Evo X ECU
~Have Dealership With MUT-III Make “Copy” of Lancer Coding to a PC (All extra data such as 2wd, ect)
~Have Dealership With MUT-III “Paste” Lancer Coding from PC onto Evo X ROM (To avoid Code U0121)
~Have Dealership With MUT-III “Write” Lancer VIN onto Evo X ROM
~Have Dealership With MUT-III Flash New Custom ROM to EVO X ECU
Install Two Evo X Boost Solenoids (to get rid of codes P0242 & P0243)
Install Second AIT Sensor (to get rid of code P0098)
Install 3 Bar Map (To correct rough engine performance & obvious safety concerns)
Have Works Tune for 9 PSI (RA Wastegate)

Does this sound right? Thanks!

Last edited by Sleeved4b11Pgh; Mar 3, 2016 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Mar 3, 2016, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by Sleeved4b11Pgh
So I'm about to head down the boosted path as many others have done using all RA parts (I have a 2010 ES 5-speed). I plan on having it professionally tuned by Works, I would rather pay than gamble with my car trying to figure it out myself. I live in a area where ECU codes = not getting required stickers...Sucks... So from what I've found, this is the route I should go...

Buy Evo X GSR ECU (To not have code P0365 & have Mivec to remain enabled)
Create a Custom Rom for Evo X ECU
~Have Dealership With MUT-III Make “Copy” of Lancer Coding to a PC (All extra data such as 2wd, ect)
~Have Dealership With MUT-III “Paste” Lancer Coding from PC onto Evo X ROM (To avoid Code U0121)
~Have Dealership With MUT-III “Write” Lancer VIN onto Evo X ROM
~Have Dealership With MUT-III Flash New Custom ROM to EVO X ECU
Install Two Evo X Boost Solenoids (to get rid of codes P0242 & P0243)
Install Second AIT Sensor (to get rid of code P0098)
Install 3 Bar Map (To correct rough engine performance & obvious safety concerns)
Have Works Tune for 9 PSI (RA Wastegate)

Does this sound right? Thanks!
Just to make things clear: What you refer as the lancer coding is the "Engine Coding".

The dealership will not be able to flash a custom ROM to evo x ECM. They can copy a custom rom that you already flashed in a ecu to new ecu.

I don't think that works will be able to tune your turbo lancer. Did you ask them the question?
Old Mar 3, 2016, 01:56 PM

Yea, Your right in that dealership techs are relatively worthless when it comes to custom ECU work. As you said above, just need assess to a MUT-III tool.

Ok so from what I understand, the Stock Lancer ECU can be tuned for turbo applications (to a limit) but will not be as smooth and DD friendly. In my opinion piggybacks are junk and I've heard a couple people say that a "specific well known turbo kit that comes with one" tends to go into limp mode. lol I refuse to go that route or even consider spending the price tag of the kit. I figure even if I pay someone $1,000 for the tune I would still have saved over a grand in total when compared to the kit. All parts have been found or already acquired and will total under $2k.

Anyhow, so once again from my understanding (I could be wrong), Works, Dynocenter in P.R. and a few others offer a turbo flash/tune for the Lancer ECU so I guess I don't see why a tuner wouldn't be able to tune a GSR ECU (detune the maps) for this application as long as the basic programing such as engine coding and vin rewriting has been properly set up. I would think that this approach would make it easier for them since they are more familiar with Evo ECU tuning? I heard of a few people having success with using the Evo ECU with no codes as long as they modified the previously mentioned things in my post above. I also heard it drastically improves smoothness and drivability as well as power.

If you don't mind sharing your experiences, does your current setup have codes showing or drivability issues and are you still using an Evo X ECU? Why do you think my proposed route would not work? Are you saying I need to "roughly" tune the stock lancer ecu for boost first, then copy to evo ecu, then finalize the tune with new evo ecu installed?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Last edited by Sleeved4b11Pgh; Mar 4, 2016 at 12:01 AM. Reason: t
Old Mar 7, 2016, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sleeved4b11Pgh
Yea, Your right in that dealership techs are relatively worthless when it comes to custom ECU work. As you said above, just need assess to a MUT-III tool.

Ok so from what I understand, the Stock Lancer ECU can be tuned for turbo applications (to a limit) but will not be as smooth and DD friendly. In my opinion piggybacks are junk and I've heard a couple people say that a "specific well known turbo kit that comes with one" tends to go into limp mode. lol I refuse to go that route or even consider spending the price tag of the kit. I figure even if I pay someone $1,000 for the tune I would still have saved over a grand in total when compared to the kit. All parts have been found or already acquired and will total under $2k.

Anyhow, so once again from my understanding (I could be wrong), Works, Dynocenter in P.R. and a few others offer a turbo flash/tune for the Lancer ECU so I guess I don't see why a tuner wouldn't be able to tune a GSR ECU (detune the maps) for this application as long as the basic programing such as engine coding and vin rewriting has been properly set up. I would think that this approach would make it easier for them since they are more familiar with Evo ECU tuning? I heard of a few people having success with using the Evo ECU with no codes as long as they modified the previously mentioned things in my post above. I also heard it drastically improves smoothness and drivability as well as power.

If you don't mind sharing your experiences, does your current setup have codes showing or drivability issues and are you still using an Evo X ECU? Why do you think my proposed route would not work? Are you saying I need to "roughly" tune the stock lancer ecu for boost first, then copy to evo ecu, then finalize the tune with new evo ecu installed?

Thanks for any help you can give!
I have no code and I'm with the evo x ecu.

Yes, you can flash an evo x rom in a stock lancer ecu, tune it and it will be good for a DD. The only thing is that you'll get the P0365 code (no more mivec). You can get more power if your mivec is working. I don't know about Works and Dynocenter in P.R... One thing for sure is that you don't want to be the first one with a turbo lancer to be tuned by a shop. If they charge you by the hour, it will cost you alot...

I had problem tuning mine at some point and ask to a well known professional e-tuner and the guy wasn't able to tune it. Maybe because mine is a 4B12... I finally managed to tune it myself perfectly.

Those guys know evo x very good. A stock Lancer is totally different...
Old Mar 16, 2016, 03:46 AM

I m trying to find how to install the iat2 sensor wires.... Do you have this info?
Old Mar 16, 2016, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by tflash
I m trying to find how to install the iat2 sensor wires.... Do you have this info?
Do you need the pin numbers on the ecu or you want to know where to install the sensor on the manifold?
Old Mar 17, 2016, 03:15 AM

Pin number would be awesome.... Thank
Old Mar 17, 2016, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by tflash
Pin number would be awesome.... Thank
On pin #97 and 98 on the ecu.

Old May 20, 2016, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sebass007
Do you need the pin numbers on the ecu or you want to know where to install the sensor on the manifold?
fist of all, please forgive me my poor ENGLISH....

it's so exciting for me when i see this thread, i plan to bulit a turbo for my lancer with 4B11 in near weeks, i have purch a subaru TD04, EVOX MAP senser, EVOX engine ECU...ect., most of them i have idear how to install, but for the ECU coding and IAT2, i've no idear...now your thread give me a big help, thank you very much!

according to your thread i know more information, coould your please show a picture for where to install the IAT sensor 2 on the manifold? BTW, the IAT sensor1 is the MAF senser which after the air filter on the tube? Thank your again for the big help, i will find someone who have mut3 and doing with the coding.
Old May 20, 2016, 11:09 AM

So you have boosted your lancer...

This is for 2008+ 5 speed Manual Turbo Lancer.

First thing to do is to flash an Evo X rom into your Lancer Ecu.

If you are not able to flash your rom in the car, you must remove your ecu and do a bench flash. If you are not able to bench flash the evo x rom, you have to use an older EcuFlash version. The best Version to bench flash is Version 1.43. The newer version will only flash roms with the same first 4 digits. For example: If your car original rom ID is: 54410003, it will only flash rom IDs that's start with 5441... With the 1.43 Version, you can flash any rom into any ecu. Remember, when you do a bench flash, you must do it in recovery mode first and then flash it in normal mode.

Edit: The last EcuFlash 1.445 is capable of flashing any rom into any ecu.

You can start tuning the car. At this point, you will have few DTCs. P0365 Mivec Ex. actuator, P0098 IAT sensor, P0242 and P0243 Boost control solenoids. Your MIVEC will not work because of the P0365. The only way to get rid of that DTC is using an EVO X Ecu.

If you want your Mivec back, you need an EVO X ecu. You can get the ecu from any year GSR or MR (2008+). Once you have your Evo X ecu, you have to go to the dealer and do the programming with the MUT-III.

With the MUT-III, copy the ECU Coding from the Lancer to the PC. To do that, you have to clear the DTCs, if there is one DTC, it will not work. I had to install the IAT sensor because the P0098 was always there and I wasn’t able to clear that code. The P0243, P0242, P0365 can be cleared and if you don’t start the car, they will not show up.

On the MUT-III:
Sys select
Select MFI
Coding
Save to file

Install the Evo X ecu.

Write the VIN into the Evo X ecu.

On the MUT-III:
System select
KOS/IMMO/Keyless
Special function
ENG Key Code &Chassis No/VIN Reg
Enter the chassis VIN you want to program the ECU to

Paste the ecu Coding from the PC (previously saved from Lancer Ecu) to the Evo x ECU. That will avoid having the U0121 DTC. It tells the ECU that your car is 2WD with a Manual Transmission and has for example: the ABS or ASC and so on.

On the MUT-III:
On vehicule Coding
Enter Your VIN
Select the file
Clic on Check icon

Clear all the DTCs

Flash your tuned rom on your new Evo X ecu.

Your Mivec will work again, the engine will be smoother and you will gain power.

If you want to get rid of the P0243 and P0242, you will have to install the two boost solenoids from the evo.

And Voila!
i'm sorry for my babble...
i checked your intridcution with some screenshot of MUT3, and found some issue for me:

1,step1
On the MUT-III:
Sys select
Select MFI
Coding
Save to file

Install the Evo X ecu.
Write the VIN into the Evo X ecu

the "Select MFI" maybe should be the "MPI/GDI/XXX(chinese word)"? or the "MPI" item is down in the window which not in the screenshot?

"Write the VIN into the Evo X ecu", dose the VIN is where i can see in the right down conner behind the front big glass of the vehicle?

2,step2
On the MUT-III:
System select
KOS/IMMO/Keyless
Special function
ENG Key Code &Chassis No/VIN Reg
Enter the chassis VIN you want to program the ECU to

Paste the ecu Coding from the PC (previously saved from Lancer Ecu) to the Evo x ECU. That will avoid having the U0121 DTC. It tells the ECU that your car is 2WD with a Manual Transmission and has for example: the ABS or ASC and so on.

"Enter the chassis VIN you want to program the ECU to", the chassis VIN is same as i said above which behind the glass?
"Paste the ecu Coding from the PC (previously saved from Lancer Ecu)", how to operating this? dose the software have a funtion such as" loading form XXX" under any page? if have any picture to show this is so appreciated.

BIG thanks for your help^_^
Old May 20, 2016, 07:00 PM

MFI (Multi Port Fuel Injection) option is not the same in all countries. It may be another abbreviations. I think that MPI stand for Multi Port Injection. Should be the same...
Old May 21, 2016, 05:02 AM

MFI (Multi Port Fuel Injection) option is not the same in all countries. It may be another abbreviations. I think that MPI stand for Multi Port Injection. Should be the same...
Thanks!and how about where to install the IAT sensor 2 on the manifold?and the VIN I said above?^_^

Quick Reply: How To: Install a Evo X ecu on a NA Lancer.