Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

Advice and opinions? 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer es engine rebuild or swap?

Old Apr 6, 2016, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice and opinions? 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer es engine rebuild or swap?

I own a 2003 mitsubishi Lancer es, automatic transmission. I've been thinking of doing a little upgrades to it. So far I've only installed a K&N air intake system, magnaflow intake manifold and a aftermarket exhaust system. I was thinking of doing a performance rebuild to the engine next. But a friend talked to me about a LS swap. And I've also heard of swapping the engine for a 4g63.

So is it possible to do a LS swap?
Or is it better to just swap it with a 4g63?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by zink_karma
I own a 2003 mitsubishi Lancer es, automatic transmission. I've been thinking of doing a little upgrades to it. So far I've only installed a K&N air intake system, magnaflow intake manifold and a aftermarket exhaust system. I was thinking of doing a performance rebuild to the engine next. But a friend talked to me about a LS swap. And I've also heard of swapping the engine for a 4g63.

So is it possible to do a LS swap?
Or is it better to just swap it with a 4g63?

Magnaflow intake manifold? are you sure?

Be careful with K&N filters, what you want is a dry flow filter...most K&N are oiled, and will foul your MAF and IAT sensors, leading to bigger problems.

define performance rebuild? for the cost of building a high compression block, you could just turbocharge what you have...if you build the engine, AND turbocharge, add the price of the car, and you could almost buy an Evo.

As for the LS swap, you talking about a GM LS V8? I hate when people say, "bro just do an LS swap" like it's super simple to do (some cars are easier than others to do, and swap kits are usually pre-made for these examples)...basically you would need all custom mounting, and then convert the car to rear wheel drive, and probably need to cut out the firewall and fab a new one to accommodate the transmission...swapping in a Mitsubishi V6, and keeping the FWD system would probably be easier. Either way, you're looking at a **** load of work, and an *** load of money.

4G63 swap would by far be the easiest motor to swap.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
will and ls even fit in the lancer/evo engine bay? anyone who suggests "ls swap" has never done one and i tend not to listen to them when it comes to car stuff. i have done 1 engine swap in my life, and it was the most annoying thing ever. swap itself was kinda hard, but getting everything to run smoothly after is the frustrating part.

honestly, i would just turbo it and call it a day. or sell it and get an evo if you want less complications.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 09:42 PM

Oh wait my bad it's an exhaust manifold. And I knew the K&N air filters were oiled just didn't know that they could mess up the MAF or IAT sensors. I'll change the the air filter later. And a performance rebuild as in rebuilding the engine but with better piston rings, camshaft, lifters etc. (Only referred to it as a performance rebuild since that's how it was mentioned when I read about it) and I would turbocharge my car but it has high milage (155k) and has overheated once which is why I want to rebuild it's engine. Plus I do all my work in Mexico for half the cost here in the US. An engine rebuild in the U.S. would cost like 2k and up (according to the article I read) and in Mexico it'll cost me 800$. And I actually found a turbo kit for my car for 1,699$ I believe. And yeah the whole engine swap thing seemed complicated right from the get go so I'll probably just stay away from that.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
if you can build a block and turbocharge it for $2,500, then that would be my vote...

when you said performance rebuild, I thought you meant a high compression all-motor build, which isn't a bad thing, but you'd make more power if you just turbo a stock engine. if you build a stronger block, and turbocharge it, you're looking at the possibility of 600whp or more, which would be almost useless in a FWD car...400 is manageable...but then you'll need custom made axles that are stronger, you'll need a clutch that can hold the power, and those aren't cheap...you'll need wider stickier tires, so you're looking at a couple thousand bucks just to support the power coming out of the motor.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 05:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someone is selling a turbo kit on evom right now for 1600. its in private lancer sales. I would buy it if i had the money
Old Oct 17, 2016, 03:57 AM

Well I already did the engine rebuild. Sadly it had to stay stock since my mechanic couldn't find the parts and would also be expensive and way out of our agreed budget. Anyways I'm currently looking into buying a it guess you could say, "better" camshaft. Something that'll give the car a little more power. Any suggestions as to where to start looking for one?