Notices
Lancer How Tos / Installations Post or link to your detailed how to / installation articles in here. If you have any questions regarding the how tos, feel free to post them in in the Request sub-forum.

RDDesigns (PDXRalliart) Sub-Friendly Rear Strut Brace Install

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2004, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RDDesigns (PDXRalliart) Sub-Friendly Rear Strut Brace Install

This is a simplified how to for the sub-friendly rear strut brace from Sub-Friendly Rear Strut Brace, however, this should work for nearly all rear strut braces/bars. I dont want to give exact measurements because that could cause you to mess up and jsut go by them instead of measuring it out yourself. I will give you an outline of what you should do to be able to keep the trunk lining and make the smallest holes possible, thus the cleanest install you can do. Once you begin the steps and take the lining apart, the instructions will become a lot easier to understand. This is a pretty easy install, anybody 10yo and up shouldnt have a problem. Refer to the completed pics at the bottom.

Items needed:
-Sockets (11mm or 12mm I believe)
-Ruler
-Sharp Knife
-Chalk (or anything else you could use to write on the trunk lining and get off later)
-Ice Pick

What to do:

1. Take out the black plastic gaurds that hold the rear trunk lining against the metal trunk body. The ones I am talking about are the ones that are on either side of the access hole to your cab, so right behind your rear seats. To get to them and the plastic screws, pull the rear seats forward.

2. Now take out the plastic black tabs that are holding your trunk lining against the metal trunk body. Take out enough of them on both sides of the trunk so that you can pull the lining back enough that the top of the rear strut assembly is fully visible and easily accessible. I think you only need to take out 3 from each side, but it may only be 2 or it may be 4. To take off the tabs, press the center in and pull the outer rim. Should come out fairly easy, do not yank them out and break them because you will need to put them back in after install.

3. With the lining now pulled back, unscrew the nut on the strut assembly that is the closest to the rear seat bench on both assemblies. I think the size of the nut is 11 or 12mm, you may need a deep socket.

4. Place the strut brace over the two exposed bolts. Mine slid over the two bolts with minimal effort, however, yours may not be the case. My front K-Bar from RRM took me forever to get on. If you have trouble getting the brace on, then try these few things:
-Make sure the car is on a flat surface.
-Push a little at a time on each side, going back and forth from both sides.
-Hammer the crap out of it with a rubber mallet.

5. Take a ruler and line it up underneath the strut brace, in the center of the brace (so the ends of the ruler is pinting right at the bolts). Take your chalk and draw a line to the edge of the little metal wall that is between the strut assembly and the rest of the trunk. This will tell you where on the lining you should cut in a few steps. The line doesnt need to be very long, just a few inches. Do this for both sides.

6. Now take the ruler and measure the distance from the trunk lining floor to the bottom of the strut bar at the point where the bar goes over the metal wall that is between the strut assembly and the rest of the trunk. Also measure the width of the strut brace, the diameter of the tubing. Remember these two measurements.

7. Now take the strut brace off and push the lining back into place. In this step you will be cutting holes in the lining. Measure up the side of the lining (going vertically up in the air, not along the lining going diagonal) and poke a hole with the ice pick at the hight you measure for the bottom of the brace, but add a quarter inch to account for the thickness of the lining that wasnt there when you measured it. Now poke a hole above this one you jsut did that is the width that you measured of the brace, but add a quarter inch. Now go down to the center of these two holes and poke a hole. On each side of this hole measure out half the width of the brace and add an eighth inch to each side and poke two holes. Now using the exacto knife cut a circle through all four holes. Take the exacto knife and cut a straight line down the lining from the center of the circle to the chalk line on the floor lining. Do this for both sides.

8. Pull the trunk lining back again and out of your way to expose the strut assembly. Put the strut brace and nuts back on and tighten it all down. Push teh lining back into place. To do this you will have to pull it up a litte and push the slit over the brace so that the brace is now in the holes you cut out. Everything should be flush, if not cut the holes a little more where it is needed.

9. Put everything back on, the black tabs and the plastic gaurd.

10. Take your lancer in some twisties and enjoy.

If there is anything that needs clarified or corrected, please let me know.
Attached Thumbnails RDDesigns (PDXRalliart) Sub-Friendly Rear Strut Brace Install-img_2735.jpg   RDDesigns (PDXRalliart) Sub-Friendly Rear Strut Brace Install-img_2732.jpg   RDDesigns (PDXRalliart) Sub-Friendly Rear Strut Brace Install-img_2733.jpg  
Old Sep 22, 2004, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALL Discussions Go Here!