Notices
Lancer-Mirage Compatibility Forum For parts that can be used on both Lancer & Mirage models, post/look in here.

discuss the differences and advantages between 4G94 and 4G93.

Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
discuss the differences and advantages between 4G94 and 4G93.

What are the differences and advantages between the 4g94 and 4g93?

Last edited by Kurt; Dec 11, 2006 at 11:21 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep this on topic. No vendor bashing or flaming. It this occurs, this thread will be closed and trashed and the offending member(s) warned.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:27 AM

do you know thw answer to my QUESTION!! i have a 4g93 with an inlet that i belive is 51mm
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:29 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, I don't. Someone on here does.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

4G93IM
- straight runners

4G94IM
- S type runners

After reading a lot of material about this subject I conclude that:

4G93 IM has a smaller throttle body than 4G94 IM. 4G93 IM inlet can be ported and when you will add a bigger throttle body that's when you will get your money's worth.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:39 AM

so if i Hypothetically purchased a 4g93 stock IM wat would the diameter be on the IM/throttle body meet up point?
Old Dec 11, 2006, 11:50 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
T.B. open on 4G93 manifold is smaller than the stock 4G94 throttle body. 4G93 has not been dynoed compared to 4G94. SOmeone started a rumor that is was better. Still have NEVER seen proof. If it is we might look into them. Maybe a back to back dyno is buried somewhere on this forum but I have never seen it. Something tells me they might be good for different power, ie lowend vs topend but that is about it. It never has been proved. Also 4G93 manifold alone will not work on 04-06 Lancer. Injector position is slighty different therefore you can have fuel leaks. One guy called in and told us his car caught on FIRE! It flamed for the same reason I just told you. FYI.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilvOzRallEdit
What are the differences and advantages between the 4g94 and 4g93?
I've been running a 4g93 intake mani for over a year and a half now with no problems. Over stock there is more pull in third and forth. Power seems to be slightly improved... in conjunction I'm running a RRM SRI, RRM headers and Magnaflow catback. I really would like to get a bored throttle body, that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and a larger downpipe, just to complete things up.

But, gas milage remains the same, maybe slightly better. BTW, that's with a at home port! We, my friends and I, did it in the kitchen of one of their apartment's with a dremel and some bits. We port matched it to the gaskets and it's holding up just fine. Don't be afraid to do this for yourself... it's a piece of cake, just take your time.

Nothing like getting your own hands dirty.

Fox
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:15 PM

thats what i was thinking of doing but i shoulnt have to do that.... but if it comes to that i will. wat do i have to do shingen
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SilvOzRallEdit
so if i Hypothetically purchased a 4g93 stock IM wat would the diameter be on the IM/throttle body meet up point?
I don't know. You should check out a thread started by Alchemist or Rhyzin. They know everything about both manifolds and that's why they are Gurus.
Old Dec 11, 2006, 12:18 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RRM 02-03 4G94 manifold prices will drop a bit after the 1st of the year. FYI.

ROAD/RACE
Old Dec 11, 2006, 02:10 PM
EvoM Guru

the throttlebody sizes are different. 4g93 = 51-52mm, 4g94 = 54-55mm. a 4g93 IM can be bored to 60mm, a 4g94 IM, about 57-58mm, making the upgrade to a 60mm throttlebody kinda retarded on a 4g94 IM. what supporting evidence that a 4g93 IM is better, using the same size throttle body between the two, is the fact that the 4G94 IM reads more vacuum at WOT than the 4G93. you can make a hypothesis that the 4G93 IM provides more airflow. a bit more supporting evidence is that i had road dyno'd before and after the 4g93 IM install and had recorded a gain in hp. i wouldn't say the numbers were too important but that there actually is a gain and that it were in spots in the rpm band that needed it. as for a before and after on a rolling road dynamometer(dynojet, mustang), no dice as far as i've seen.

the next difference is the block assembly. due mostly to the longer stroke, the 4G94 packs an extra .2 liters of displacement and a natural increase in torque(inherent in a longer stroke). the diameter of the pistons only increased by .5mm, i think. what happened is the rev limit was traded in for more torque. the 4g93 has a higher rev limit. i don't know what it is off the top of my head, but the lancer revs to 6250 before fuel cut.

a minor difference is the valve tappets. the 4g94 has hydraulic ones, and the 4g93 has mechanical ones that need to be adjusted. that's just a matter of convenience. otherwise, you can swap heads.

everything else is mostly the same concerning the block. minor differences here and there but nothing performance minded.

the trannys are in the same family. that includes the RA and the 4G64. nobody i've heard here has frankensteined different gears like the honda guys. i'd love for a RA final drive.

the 02-03 clutch slave cylinder/bearing single assembly was reverted back to the mirage multi-part assembly in 04+. i don't know if you can run the multi-part assembly on the 02-03. if you plan to have the car a long time or go through trannies cuz of retarded driving, i'd look into it cuz it'll save a few buck on changing them out. no performance difference.

like Rock said, there's a difference in the fuel rails with the 04+. its returnless fuel system had mitsu redesign the IM for that year.

the MAS are different. there is a difference in plug connectors, but the actual opening isn't much different. not swappable, but they do have their respective swaps from other mitsus.

i haven't been here in awhile so i thought i'd post

Last edited by rhyzin; Dec 11, 2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2006, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Just for some clarification.

I hit fuel cut in the Mirage about 7200ish RPMs.

Only the 97 Mirage has solid / adjustable lifters. The 98+ all have hydraulic.

The 97 Has a bigger MAS than the 98+ (making the upgrade to a 2G Eclipse / 3000 GT MAS that much easier).

Other than that, you got it.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

^what do umean?
with a 2g MAS on my g93 manifold, will raise fuel cut off?
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

As for dyno, we know it's under 100 whp. We also know its not cost effective to be laughed at dyno place.

G93 redline = 6500 rpm . . . 6750 fuel cut. . . Few of us have confirmed it firsthand.

AQ,
How the hell did you bonked your engine rpm that high? DIM (manual) hit that mark long before I had done it on my car . . . for me (twice on auto while turning and going uphill and once punching the throttle in low 2nd gear), the motor hit the wall stumbling to get into the next gear, no matter my fuel trim.

Hitting 20 psi during your initial turbo spike doesn't count either while running through the gears.

"the MAS are different. there is a difference in plug connectors, but the actual opening isn't much different. not swappable, but they do have their respective swaps from other mitsus."

How can the plug connector be different? It's not cost effective for Mitsu to do so. The G93 has 7 pin wire connectors for OBD2 standards and can use any modern G64 and NA G72 MAF.

"The 97 Has a bigger MAS than the 98+ (making the upgrade to a 2G Eclipse / 3000 GT MAS that much easier)."

2nd gen DSM.

It has to be 3KGT VR4. The regular 3KGT = 3L NA 6 banger.

"will raise fuel cut off?"
No. Fuel cut is factory programmed into the ECU.

As for IM principles, the G94 was designed for TQ while the G93 was designed for decent TQ w/ higher rpm limit. Just like the G92 can spin in the 8K rpm w/o MIVEC (many version of this motor, including straight DOHC). Does it have TQ, nope.

Last edited by bahamut; Dec 26, 2006 at 12:52 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: discuss the differences and advantages between 4G94 and 4G93.