Notices

Does the Transponder in the Key really work?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Does the Transponder in the Key really work?

So I have a question but hopefully the title of this thread really explains it. Anyway when it comes to getting keys for my 05 RA they say I have to get a special key from the dealership and I'm like okay that seems sensible. A few weeks later my brother goes to Home Depot and gets a copy of my key and I still figured it'd be okay cause there's no transponder in the key. About 5 minutes later I hear my car driving off and now I'm wondering if the transponder really does anything? Can anyone enlighten me on this?
Old Nov 27, 2008, 12:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea u know, i got an 06 RA and I'm wondering the same thing. As far as I know, the car is not supposed to start unless the correct key is used with the car. But I donno..
Old Nov 29, 2008, 10:11 AM
Evolving Member

Certain models, especially the 04-06 Lancers and RA's, didn't come with a transponder. Most dealerships are lazy and don't want to try to figure out if it was one that did or didn't and will try to sell the more expensive key rather than admit mistake after they cut it and can't get it to code.
Old Nov 29, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

so basically my car doesnt have a transponder and im paying $80/key for nothing?
Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

My lancer does not have a transponer. Not sure if the transponder is in the key or the key cylinder. Maybe someone with a transponder can shed some light. I do know from experience installing remote starters that some vehicles have a transponder chip in the head of the key itself and other vehicles have the transponder in the key cylinder/barrel. When a valid key turns the ignition cylinder it reads a transponder on the cylinder side and allows it to start.

An easy way to check would be to try hot wiring your car... hehe... just kidding.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

From what I know there is a transponder in the key and there is some receiver in the key cylinder that receives the signal to start the car with the appropriate key. But now I'm having my doubts about whether or not I have one in the car.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 05:27 PM

If you can go to home depot and get a metal key made that starts your vehicle there is no transponder/chip in the factory key. most lancers that i know of dont have transponders on the other hand some galants and diamantes do.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Lancers ands Evo's are the only mitsu's that dont use electronic keys, so yes you have waisted 80$ on a "transponder key" witch doesnt exist for the RA and most lacers if not all. hope that helps
Old Dec 12, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

Evo's have the chips in them. The dealer had to replace my ECU at one point and when they did that they reprogrammed the key I had with me. The spare I had at home no longer works...the car will start up using the spare key but die within 3-4 seconds because the codes don't match.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolved Member

^^^ i dont believe.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Raikiri
So I have a question but hopefully the title of this thread really explains it. Anyway when it comes to getting keys for my 05 RA they say I have to get a special key from the dealership and I'm like okay that seems sensible. A few weeks later my brother goes to Home Depot and gets a copy of my key and I still figured it'd be okay cause there's no transponder in the key. About 5 minutes later I hear my car driving off and now I'm wondering if the transponder really does anything? Can anyone enlighten me on this?
It may not because the 2008+ has a valet key in the FOB with no chip
Old Dec 21, 2008, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by RalliDew
^^^ i dont believe.
Evo definitely has a transponder key, its programmed into the ecu to match.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by JDMEvo9RS
It may not because the 2008+ has a valet key in the FOB with no chip
Yes, the key in the fob in your KOS (Keyless Operating System) is just a metal key with no transponder, but the key will not work by itself. The key fob must be attached to the end of the key while it's turning in the ignition cylinder in order for it to start the car. This metal key is there so you can start your car in case your FOB has lost its' program and the KOS is inoperative.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by linuxbatm
Evo definitely has a transponder key, its programmed into the ecu to match.
Confirmed, Evo's definitely have an immobilizer and all useable keys must be programmed at the same time or the non-programmed one will not work.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by srcevo8
Evo's have the chips in them. The dealer had to replace my ECU at one point and when they did that they reprogrammed the key I had with me. The spare I had at home no longer works...the car will start up using the spare key but die within 3-4 seconds because the codes don't match.
You can have your dealer program your spare key to work, so the key isn't a waste. Or if you have 2 keys that work already, you can program any extra keys by yourself. PM me if that's the case, and I can guide you through the method to do it.

Quick Reply: Does the Transponder in the Key really work?