Notices

Stereo Install Problem

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2010, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Install Problem

I recently got a kenwood kdc-x994 head unit and was wanting it installed. A friend of mine was helping me with the installation and we hooked up the radio cord(I believe it is, it's a small one that goes in near the aux output) and the two wiring harnesses, the head unit turns on but no sound. We found a bigger wire that appears to be a wire to the speakers but there is no output for it on the aftermarket head unit. We tested the stock with and without the speaker wire and that is what controls it. I'm wondering if anyone knows a solution to this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

edit: found a site called soundgate.com and apparently I need an adapter due to the stock sub and amp... now I just need to find the actual adapter.

Last edited by Magrud3r; May 28, 2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old May 29, 2010, 04:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Magrud3r
I recently got a kenwood kdc-x994 head unit and was wanting it installed. A friend of mine was helping me with the installation and we hooked up the radio cord(I believe it is, it's a small one that goes in near the aux output) and the two wiring harnesses, the head unit turns on but no sound. We found a bigger wire that appears to be a wire to the speakers but there is no output for it on the aftermarket head unit. We tested the stock with and without the speaker wire and that is what controls it. I'm wondering if anyone knows a solution to this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

edit: found a site called soundgate.com and apparently I need an adapter due to the stock sub and amp... now I just need to find the actual adapter.
Looks like Soundgate has discontinued making their adapter cable. Too bad, because it works like a charm.

Crutchfield still has theirs, here.
Old May 29, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
Looks like Soundgate has discontinued making their adapter cable. Too bad, because it works like a charm.

Crutchfield still has theirs, here.
That looks like it would work perfectly, thank you.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:03 PM
Evolved Member

^ yep that's all you need.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:28 PM

Wink

if you are using the standard mitsu harness adapter by metra, and not cutting wires. make sure you hook up the blue and white to the matching on the other harness adapter ..this assuming you have the sun and sound with factory amp
Old Jun 6, 2010, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

Okay so pretty much things went to **** after I got the adapter and installed it. The kenwood turned on and I could hear like fuzz from the speakers but no sound still and I redid the wires and attempted it again and the stereo wouldn't even turn on now. I connected it to the battery and it still wouldn't power up so that stereos pretty much fried. Now my dash clock, inside lights, key-less entry and inside door locks won't work. (The door locks work when its on but shouldn't need to be on for them to work) I've checked fuses and couldn't find any blown fuses so I am wondering what might of happened? If anyone experienced this before I'd appreciate knowing what you did to fix this.
Old Jun 20, 2010, 08:13 AM
Evolving Member

I found out that the red and yellow wires must be connected to each other in the wiring harness, I tried this and the deck works now and has been re-installed. My clock is back and the lights work; however the lights only work whenever the car is turned on and the clock always resets itself to 1:00 whenever I turn it off and back on. The keyless entry still does not work without the car being on as well. I'm curious as to why if the fuses we've checked aren't blown?
Old Jun 20, 2010, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Magrud3r
I found out that the red and yellow wires must be connected to each other in the wiring harness, I tried this and the deck works now and has been re-installed. My clock is back and the lights work; however the lights only work whenever the car is turned on and the clock always resets itself to 1:00 whenever I turn it off and back on. The keyless entry still does not work without the car being on as well. I'm curious as to why if the fuses we've checked aren't blown?
Check the fuses under your hood, too. Fuse #22 is a 10A fuse that supplies battery power to the front ECU (controls the lights), keyless entry, and clock when the ignition is off. It also supplies battery power to the radio.

In fact, it sends battery power to all these circuits:

One of your radio's power wires should be connected to battery power, the other to ignition switched power.
Old Jun 25, 2010, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

Thank you very much this was the problem, I've replaced it now and it works. One thing though; the clock won't shut off even though the car is off. Why would this be? I don't want it to drain my battery.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Do you still have the red and yellow wires connected to each other on the radio? If so, my guess is that is the problem.
Old Jun 26, 2010, 03:10 PM
Evolving Member

Yes I do. I guess I will take it back out and undo them again. I'll keep you informed on how it's going and I'd like to thank you for the help you've given me.