Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

I finally made my gauge cluster blue!

Old Apr 5, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been thinking and looking at it. Gotta order it today
Old Apr 5, 2005, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So you all like the blue needles better? Sounds good. I haven't decided how much to sell them for. It takes some work to get them blue and of course I have to order some and convert them. I'm gonna call the dealership today and see if they have any in stock. Depending on how much they cost, I'll let you all know. I'll also add a core charge for the needles as well. No sense in having two sets of needles you know? Anywa, stay posted for more information. Glad you guys like them and looks like the blue needles it is.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

How did you convert it anyways? Looks awesome and when do you think they'll be available? because I want to order the gauge cluster kit in like a few days.

Oh yeah...coming from the dealership they will probably cost alot of cash

Last edited by sthiewes; Apr 5, 2005 at 09:13 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Okay, I've hit a setback. The dealership doesn't sell just the needles. You have to buy the whole gauge cluster ($278) to get the needles. I've looked at eauges.com and autometer.com and they don't sell needles either. Does anyone know where I can buy just the needles? If I am going to be able to make these for people, I need a supply of needles! Otherwise, I would have to have you ship me your needles, I convert them, then ship them back, which wouldn't be any good since you couldn't drive your car for a bit. If anyone knows where they sell needles, please let me know!
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Do you have more than one cluster? If you do then just make one set at a time. Long process but it's a start. I will have an extra set of needles tomorrow when I get my clusters back from Specmo Ent. and install my OZ cluster. I can do this:

-Take off the needles from my old ES gauges
-Send them to you
-You convert
-You send them back to me
-I replace needles off OZ cluster(which is already installed) with new blue needles
-Needles from OZ put on ES again.(extra needles)

Or just let us in on your secret of converting.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Man, those needles are pretty sweet man, like i said, i'm going to order some this week but i'd like to be able to get those needles done as well, how complicated is it to do it on your own? Also my other question is this....

removing the gauge cluster to change the lights and later on the needles, is their a risk in messing up the electronics or the odo?
Old Apr 5, 2005, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

will the blue needles still look blue if the backlight is a different color, say green? or will they be green?

looks friggin sweet, I wouldn't mind ordering this myself.
Old Apr 5, 2005, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Man, those needles are pretty sweet man, like i said, i'm going to order some this week but i'd like to be able to get those needles done as well, how complicated is it to do it on your own? Also my other question is this....

removing the gauge cluster to change the lights and later on the needles, is their a risk in messing up the electronics or the odo?
Looks like I just might have to do a write up. I don't see anyway to make these for people. So, if you are up to it, I'll tell you how I did mine. If not, then we can go with the first plan on you sending me your needles etc. Also, as long as you are careful and not impatient, there is very little risk of messing up the electronics or the odo.

will the blue needles still look blue if the backlight is a different color, say green? or will they be green?

looks friggin sweet, I wouldn't mind ordering this myself.
Thats a good question. I haven't tried that. I would think that it wouldn't work though since the light that lights the needle is the same as your gauge lighting. You could add a custom mounted LED behind the needle and I believe that would make your needles any color you wanted. I've entertained the idea myself.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 04:49 AM
Evolved Member

Hey Zack, just let us know when you post the write for the blue needles. If it's low risk I don't mind taking on a DIY Project. They are always fun. But I will pick up that cluster light kit. Just keep us posted.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

if you post the how-to, could you also add in your opinion of what type/shade of paint to use if i wanted to make green needles to match my green gauge?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

its look sweeeeet...im consider to buy these for my bby evo.
hmmmmmmmmmmmm???
Old Apr 6, 2005, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

f you post the how-to, could you also add in your opinion of what type/shade of paint to use if i wanted to make green needles to match my green gauge?
For sure. I'll probably do the write up this weekend. Unfortunately there won't be any pictures since I've already done mine and put them back in.... But I'll give the best text explaination I can. Stay tuned for this weekend.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

How many bulbs come with the gauge cluster kit? Is it the same number for both ES and OZ?
Old Apr 7, 2005, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

How many bulbs come with the gauge cluster kit? Is it the same number for both ES and OZ?
Yeah, both the OZ and the ES use three main bulbs to light the gauges and one for the odometer, so four total.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

do you have kits for an Evo?????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I finally made my gauge cluster blue!