Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Custom & Economical Laptop Station

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom & Economical Laptop Station

What you need: A HOME DEPOT BIATCH!!!

Aright, youll have to forgive me for not posting exact numeral lengths of pipe or measurments. The thing is that where ever you imagine the setup is gonna be, itll end up different, so the fitting is pretty much trial and error on your first run.
I had to get a bunch of pipes, all like "hmm nope, need a longer one... how 'bout his? yup thatll work!" etc. etc.
Also you may not wanna position it like I did so... Do as thou wilt.
Belive me however, if you take you time and do this right, You can tug on ths bar! Its sturdy and strong. Your lappy will be all good, dont even worry about bumpy roads.

Cut a peice o' Plexi glass to about 13x13 (Dont worry I have a 17" lappy also. This will accomadate most sizes wide or small)
Mark and Drill 4 holes in the center where your flange will go (You'll See...)
I added a velcro strip to be a tie down strap. Its connecter to the plexi (bottom side) with 2 small peices of sticky sided velcro, and pulled around.

I cut and added a small corner type peice of metal, and screwed it in to make the plexi stronger and to hold the lappy incase it neede to be on a slant.
I then cut a strip of memory foam (sticky on one side) and pasted it on, so it doesnt scratch the laptop.

Now remove the cubby hole by taking out the 2 screws on the inside top, and pull.
The whole cubby just pops out.
Also pull out the console beneath. (You dont have to, but my hands wouldnt fit otherwise)

Inside on the Bottom Right, youll see a steel frame.
Use a Dremmel to pre fabricate some holes (Hold flange, mark holes with a sharpie) and insert four 1" (or 1.5") self tapping screws.

Screw on a 2" flange, then a 90 Degree Elbow

Attatch the longer flange (I wrote "longer" cus itll vary depending on what position/place your comfortable with your laptop being in)

On the back of your cubby, theres a grid etched on it... draw a circle there (where I did) a tiny bit bigger than the width of your flange. Bore that circle out.
Slide your cubby back in, pipe in the hole, pop it, and screw it... (Get your head outta the gutter ) Then screw on the 45 Degree elbow.

Next Flange, screw that on... then a 90 Degree elbow, then the next flange... You get the idea...

Now place your tubing over, and with a razor slice (around w/ the spiral, Not across) the excess length off, so it doesnt bunch up. You want it to look straight and smooth as possible...

Then at the top screw on your 2nd flat flange (Is there a proper name for that?)

Place your plexi ontop line up the holes, and screw in.
[

Hold up!
You cant put your Laptop on yet, I know your over zealous about it.
Windex the finger prints off, & clean up your mess. Put ALL your tools away.

Ok now do it

...and VOILA!

Hope ya like it!

Marcos M. Duarte
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay i commend your interior design work for originality and creativity, the louis vuitton i was iffy about. but now... custom laptop station that you made yourself... Marcos... you're my hero. Great work, that kicks ***! I'm amazed.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

My god...

...that's beautiful!!!!
Old Nov 24, 2005, 08:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Wow. That's pretty intense, I just hope your not driving around and browin' EvoM fourms at the same time!

Can't wait to see what your next project is!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 02:37 AM
Evolving Member

woah, talk about takin wardriving to the next level. Gotta say I dunno how comfertable with a velcro strap being the only thing holding my laptop in but it looks pretty awesome. Does it get in the way if ur passenger is tall?
Let us know how the strap holds up.

Great job tho. Thanks for the write up!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know what to say. Your interior is original but a laptop station? It's just.........pointless I guess unless you live in a car or work as a cop.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gregivq
pointless I guess unless you live in a car or work as a cop.
*cough* Showcar *cough*
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DJ.Kickz
woah, talk about takin wardriving to the next level. Gotta say I dunno how comfertable with a velcro strap being the only thing holding my laptop in but it looks pretty awesome. Does it get in the way if ur passenger is tall?
Let us know how the strap holds up.

Great job tho. Thanks for the write up!
The lappy is perfactly snug in place. Thats why I chose plexi as a base.
The rubber feet/pads/stands (whatever) under your lappy keep it gripped to the Plexi and it doesnt slide. On its own the lappy doesnt move, I just made the strap (which ties down tight too) to hold down the lappy during any bumps.
Trust me, The lappy Will Not move.

The passenger is completly fine.
Unlike the Jotto Desk (That police have) that takes up space and is bolted to the floor or the seat frame, with metal stands all over the place
(and costs 250-300 bucks! Plus your legs 'il be shattered in a collision).
I wanted something that doesnt take up room at all.
I placed it were I can shift without my hand even near the Lappy, also where its centered for when its DVD time, and where the passanger has leg room to all sides, and its a good distance away so as not to be all up on you, and lastly where I can close the lappy and access the head unit.
It just wouldnt be cool if it sacraficed something else to function, y'know?
This is why I had the cubby hole idea, also I wanted it to look real clean and custom.
Notice the space around the pass seat, and the lappy...
Also this things strong as ****, you can lean on it, pull, etc... It aint budging, so being that I have Wireless, my passanger can type away and go online, and mapquest stuff...

Build it, Youll love it

Last edited by CityKnight; Nov 25, 2005 at 07:24 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gregivq
I don't know what to say. Your interior is original but a laptop station? It's just.........pointless I guess unless you live in a car or work as a cop.
Think about it this way...
Go spend $1100.oo on a 6 in" Monitor/DVD player with mediocre picture quality, and another ton o' money on installing a Navigation System, and then more money on something else for capapbility w/ a Stand-Alone Engine Managment System... Now youll see the point.

Also just whenever Im not driving (EG Parked or waiting for someone) I can just do whatever...
To me, (being the penny pintcher I am) this was more logical and economical than an in-dash monitor, and a Jotto Desk, etc.

Who would rather spend 325 bucks to have this in theire passanger space?
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

damn...can you fiberglass to?
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

o yea...nice work
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by peelslancer
damn...can you fiberglass to?
Nah man, I wish I knew.
Hey, We can always learn!

There was a How-To on making CF, with the enamel and everything...
That might be an idea, it didnt seem difficult at all.
Just need to buy the CF sheets.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

that is sweet!!! very well done!

it would work well for navigation purposes and (though i don't have a turbo setup) couldn't turbo guys use something like this for realtime tuning? not to mention, you could cruise and look at bigol'nekkidbreasteses.com .....i mean look for lancer parts on ebay.

again, nice work & nice HowTo.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:53 AM
Evolving Member

sounds interesting, but pics arent loading, just little red "x"
Old Nov 25, 2005, 08:04 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everyone's joking about surfing the 'net, but c'mon - is he gonna drive around looking for a WiFi hotspot?

Tuning would be good. Or simple datalogging if you have the setup on your laptop.

smokin oz03 - pics work for me...

Quick Reply: Custom & Economical Laptop Station