Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

4g63 Swap Thread(Mad_Canabice)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this gives me a headache just looking at it! WOW, best of luck man.
Old Jul 23, 2009, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by numbers5052006
this gives me a headache just looking at it! WOW, best of luck man.
how does this give you headaches... is it that he attemted something that not many will try or that he got an evo up and running for cheap

hey mad good job cant wait to see her up and running
Old Jul 25, 2009, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

thanks link62 and all you guys who have been supportive evything is in the evo now and to clear things up I paid 8500 for this car to be where it is right now not a bad price for an evo lol I can't say that it is running yet because it's not I still have a few issues to work out which I do not dare attempt. My biggest issue is that the I am not getting any spark from the coilpack or any pulse from the injectors....I noticed that there is no CEL light comming on which would normally mean that the computer is not getting any signal because I am sure the computer is good. So either I am going to need my electrition to come and take a look at it or do you guys have any idea what I can check on my own that is not too technical. BTW I will be moving this thread to evo show and shine section as soon as I get the car running and will be updating it there.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Ok guys got the motor and tranny inside and started the car today and boy does she sound mean without the exhaust lol.Will have some pics up later tonight or tommorrow and be updatuing this thread more often.

One problem When the car is off it goes into gear.

When the car is on it does not want to go into gear. Does anyone know why?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 12:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess is the clutch
Old Aug 15, 2009, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

the clutch is in good condition and either way I doubt it would stop the car from going into gear
Old Aug 15, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If its running and the pressure plate isnt releasing it would absolutely stop it from going into gear but then I am sure you would be able to feel it in the pedal as well. Does it not go into gear at all?? or does it just not like to when running?
Old Aug 15, 2009, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

only when the engine is running.... When it's off it goes into gear
Old Aug 16, 2009, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

Ok guys for those of you who want to follow the build on my evo this thread will now be updating on the link below which i have just recently updated. Thank you all for your support and for helping me gain knowledge to accomplish what I have now.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...3-evo-8-a.html

If any of you gujys have any question in the near future about the 4g63 swap please post it here for evo related topics please post it in my "Operation Evo Revival thread"
Old Sep 28, 2009, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Back to the original project. Since we all know that fwd tranny from 4g63 or 4g64/69 tranny will work with 4g63 engine, but will it bolt up directly in the car? Any modifications that are needed to fit the tranny?

Can we use evo and 4g63 fwd axles or we can re-use our stock ones?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

I never made it that far with my build but the bracket and engine mount for the tranny is pretty much the same as the evo (though never test fitted it) but I am 100% sure the bracket is the same but 90% sure the transmission mount is the same also. As fgor the axles I would recomend using the evo axles and front suspension since the 4g63 engine is heavier and the axles are straonger that our stock alxles which I doubt will work anyways since the outter CV joint bearings are smaller that the evo CV Joint bearings.Once you get the evo front suspension and axles everything should bolt right up
Old Jun 7, 2015, 06:48 PM

Smile

Originally Posted by Juan Martinez
The two crossmembers are different. They look like the bolt up the same, but the evo one is stronger. Personally, I don't think the eclipse mount would be easy to put in like a stock evo one would be. Here is a pic compairing crossmembers.

The front is pretty straight forward in terms of putting in a new motor. This has been said for just about everyone who has done this swap on their 4g and 5g Mirage/Lancers. The rear is where the most work will need to be done. That is also said of 4g and 5g owners. It Mitsubishi left the strut mounts the same on the 6g Lancer/Cedia as the evo, that would have saved quite a bit of work for us. They left it alone on the older models, guess they figured we would work around that on the Cedia so they made it harder for us to swap the rear end.
I'm new to getting my hands dirty and maintaining my 02 Lancer OZ Rally
Noob question:
Do you have to remove the crossmember to get to the bolts on the front roller stopper mount? In other words- Are you able to remove the bolts of the mount without removing the crossmember? Also, do you need thread lock for the replacement of the mount?

Any advice would help.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dayvidswrong
I'm new to getting my hands dirty and maintaining my 02 Lancer OZ Rally
Noob question:
Do you have to remove the crossmember to get to the bolts on the front roller stopper mount? In other words- Are you able to remove the bolts of the mount without removing the crossmember? Also, do you need thread lock for the replacement of the mount?

Any advice would help.

It would be a hell of alot easier to take the crossmember out if you to remove/replace that front mount its just 3 bolts on the crossmember under the car and the bolt that runs through the front mount and the bracket on the transmission. You dont need threadlock.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by MaD_CaNaBiCe
It would be a hell of alot easier to take the crossmember out if you to remove/replace that front mount its just 3 bolts on the crossmember under the car and the bolt that runs through the front mount and the bracket on the transmission. You dont need threadlock.
I've never actually did any repairs on my car until last night. I replaced the mount already. The mount was completely shot. And yeah, I took out the crossmember. The actual removal of the crossmember was easy, the removal and installation of the mount was easy, but putting the crossmember back in was irritable. It took me almost an hour because I wasn't able to get one of the bolts to align with the crossmember and the frame. The previous installation had red thread lock on the cross bolt so I applied just a little to be sure the bolt wouldn't become undone.

Thanks for your reply. I do appreciate the help.