Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

4g63 Swap Thread(Mad_Canabice)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, you shouldn't have to fab up your own brackets. The transmission mount near the fuse box should be the same as an evo, should bolt right up. I know this is true on the 5g Mirage/Lancer. The evo swap for it is a direct bolt in. After you change out the subframe, the rear transmissiom mount for the evo will bolt up. It will also bolt up to the evo crossmember transmission mount. I think I have found a way to just put in a mount. Get this right here Collision Catalog - 2006 - Mitsubishi - Lancer
Fender, Structural components and rails, Engine bracket, Right side only, Right side only Right its off of mitsubishiparts.com for around $60.00 shipped.

Here is a picture of it. It is part 13.

Here is a pic of an evo with the mount you can weld in.

Best part is, its factory, so you know its strong. You can also use those torque dampaners for the evo with it.

All you should have to do is take out the old mount, either you or a professional can weld in this factory bracket in in just a few minutes instead of making your own which may not be as strong. All other mounts bolt right in after you put in the evo subframe and evo crossmember.

Also, on another note, when you use the evo subframe, which bolts right in, you won't be able to use the evo control arms. They push the tires forward like 6 inches and will rub the fender. You'll have to use the factory es/ls/oz control arms. I am currently researching the possiblity of using evo 6 control arms for this type of project, but your factory ones should do just fine. The rear end is where most of the custom work will have to be done. You have two options, use the outlander rear subframe, which you can use your stock struts on, or use the evo rear sub frame which means you either have to modify where the strut mounts at the top to be higher up, which I have only one idea on, or to mod es/ls/oz shocks at the bottom to have a bracket like evo shocks. You'll have to cut out the old subframe and part of the bottom of your trunk. You can either just make your own flooring for the trunk like most have, or if you can, weld in an evo rear trunk bottom, which the diff can bolt to.

Last edited by Juan Martinez; Nov 20, 2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Damn that's a lot to do^...
Old Nov 20, 2008, 10:41 PM
Evolved Member

thanks for all the info u have been a real help but i was not making my own bracket it is a mitsu bracket that came fom the 95-99 eclipse spyder which look identical only thing is it is on the other side of the chassis.But wont the stock lancer cross member work? it looks like the front mount would work also anyways i will confirm this next week when i get the mounts

Last edited by MaD_CaNaBiCe; Nov 20, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

update purchased my thermostat housings for $12.00 plus shipping

also purchased my valve cover last night for a whopping $71.00 lol plus shipping
Old Nov 20, 2008, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

You were the winning bidder
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So with the old engine/turbo kit, were you running a radiator fan?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:40 AM
Evolved Member

Good to hear that you won the bid
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You know what's strong because it's factory made?!?!?!

A real evo.

but, I do have to give props for having the ***** to do this.

I did it with my 1996 impreza and turned it into an STI but Subaru uses all of the same motor and tranny mounts. (wiring was ANOTHER story)
Old Nov 21, 2008, 01:48 AM
Evolved Member

remember our "lancer" is only a "lancer" for marketing purposes.. in Japan its a Cedia!.. they dont even recognize our "lancer" in europe..
Old Nov 21, 2008, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MaD_CaNaBiCe
thanks for all the info u have been a real help but i was not making my own bracket it is a mitsu bracket that came fom the 95-99 eclipse spyder which look identical only thing is it is on the other side of the chassis.But wont the stock lancer cross member work? it looks like the front mount would work also anyways i will confirm this next week when i get the mounts
The two crossmembers are different. They look like the bolt up the same, but the evo one is stronger. Personally, I don't think the eclipse mount would be easy to put in like a stock evo one would be. Here is a pic compairing crossmembers.

The front is pretty straight forward in terms of putting in a new motor. This has been said for just about everyone who has done this swap on their 4g and 5g Mirage/Lancers. The rear is where the most work will need to be done. That is also said of 4g and 5g owners. It Mitsubishi left the strut mounts the same on the 6g Lancer/Cedia as the evo, that would have saved quite a bit of work for us. They left it alone on the older models, guess they figured we would work around that on the Cedia so they made it harder for us to swap the rear end.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Ditto on what Juan Martinez said on the crossmember.

Also, FYI the front roll stopper/motor mount sits a little lower for the EVO motor. I believe this is for DOHC head clearance. So, just get the EVO front crossmember and motor mount, you'll be good to go on that.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bcollinstex
Ditto on what Juan Martinez said on the crossmember.

Also, FYI the front roll stopper/motor mount sits a little lower for the EVO motor. I believe this is for DOHC head clearance. So, just get the EVO front crossmember and motor mount, you'll be good to go on that.
will do
Old Nov 22, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Can anyone varify if the evo and the lancer front subframe has the same bolt paterns?
Old Nov 23, 2008, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MaD_CaNaBiCe
Can anyone varify if the evo and the lancer front subframe has the same bolt paterns?
To bolt the subframe to the chassis or everything to the subframe? I know the subframe bolts to the chassis.
Old Nov 23, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

yeah i know about that but i trying to find out if the rack will work and the back engine mount

Quick Reply: 4g63 Swap Thread(Mad_Canabice)