Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Horrible headlight haze - replace with blacked out headlights?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible headlight haze - replace with blacked out headlights?

My headlights have a horrible case of hazing that I haven’t tried to polish off yet, but I’m actually inclined to simply get new headlights because both of mine have hairline cracks all over as well.

The car’s originally from Texas – the guy I bought it from drove it up to Oregon late last year. I don’t have a huge amount of experience with plastic parts on cars deteriorating in extreme heat, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen another Lancer up here with headlights as bad as mine, so I’m sure the heat had something to do with it.

(click for bigger image)

I’m posting this because I’m wondering two things:
1) Given that the headlights have cracks as well as haze, is it worthwhile to try and polish them off anyway, or should I just buy a new pair?
2) I’ve been checking on ebay and the going rate for standard headlights seems to be about $150 shipped. I don’t want projectors – reflectors with Sylvania Silverstars are awesome, and I’m planning on installing aux driving lights soon too. Should I go with just straight OEM, or some style of blacked out, to match the rest of my car? The car’s silver, with black rims with a silver band around the outside. The windows are heavily tinted too.

Also, people that have blacked out headlights, does it affect the amount of light that is put on the road noticeably? I want bright because I’m often driving back country roads to and from the gf’s place.
Attached Thumbnails Horrible headlight haze - replace with blacked out headlights?-headlights-up-close.jpg   Horrible headlight haze - replace with blacked out headlights?-headlights_full.jpg   Horrible headlight haze - replace with blacked out headlights?-headlights-up-close-small.jpg   Horrible headlight haze - replace with blacked out headlights?-half-blacked.jpg   Horrible headlight haze - replace with blacked out headlights?-blacked_out.jpg  

Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

id say polish em and save ur money. ive polished mine b4 and saved the money. get some 2000 grit wet sand paper and a bottle of meguiars plastic polish
http://www.parcfermeshop.co.uk/pub/f..._w450_h400.jpg
worked great on my headlights
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:50 PM

^ I agree. I went 600 grit to 1000 to 2000. just wetsand it and apply the polish after, looks brand new. ALTHOUGH on ebay you can find those blacked out lights for about 160, I was gonna eventually pick myself up a pair. I painted the inside of mine black, but they keep fogging up and Im tired or resealing them for nothing.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^double agree, i did the 2000 grit wetsand, then nu-finish polish
Old Jun 18, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

ill jus be different..

i think those black lights look sexy. those are a plan of mine down the road

.. so if u end up getting new ones, show some pics and i wanna see how u went about doing it!
Old Jun 18, 2009, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are looking for a different style then yea go for it but on all headlights it comes to you . My headlights are doing it already
Old Jun 18, 2009, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Mine had hairline cracks in them as well. You can sand out the haze, but not the cracks. I'd say do your research and get a new solid pair
Old Jun 18, 2009, 11:24 PM

get the black ones. I love the way they look on our silver cars.
Like I said, I did mine myself, but I will be getting a already pair cause they fog up sometime.
they looks so much better though. unless you go for the almost $400 projectors, which look best.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by 02-Lancer-Es
If you are looking for a different style then yea go for it but on all headlights it comes to you . My headlights are doing it already
How long have you had your headlights, and are they OEM? Also, what type of climate do you live in?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Even after polishing the hazing comes back pretty hardcore. I polished mine and about 4 - 5 weeks later the haze came back, and they came back even worse.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:18 AM

i agree with the black it looks so damn sexy
Old Jun 19, 2009, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

i would say polish but because it has cracks, buy new ones
Old Jun 28, 2009, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

Dude, he lives in Oregon, what kind of climate do you think it is here? lol. Um forecast says rain maybe? Whereabouts in Oregon do you live? Anyways, to keep this on topic, I have seen people that sanded then clearcoated it with automotive clear, then wax it and continue to wax it and they've had no problems at all with the haze coming back as long as they continue waxing. Ive got a pretty bad case of haze and cracks going on and while Id like to get a set of those new cedia projectors, they just arent an option due to monetary issues and Ive got a quart of clear just chillin. When I do get some new lights, Im going to get some of that 3m stuff that is basically a protective sticker that you place over the outside of the headlight. Also,you could save some money maybe and buy the silver ones if they are cheaper and DIY the black housing. I have blacked out OEMs I did myself and no it doesnt affect the amount of light because your not painting the reflector, just the housing. But yes black does look sick.

Last edited by imalancerman; Jun 28, 2009 at 12:15 AM.