Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

OZ rally on fire :(

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2009, 07:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OZ rally on fire :(

so i drive to the movies on saturday night... went in, saw avatar.
then when i come out, i try and start up the car and its like the battery is dead. i look through the frosted windshield and there is a hole in my hood!
then a girl comes running over, tells me not to start it, then says my car was on fire.

apparently... my car caught fire somehow while i was in the show. a couple at a nearby restaurant saw the flames and alerted the manager. then the manager called the fire department and put out the flames by a fire ext. i guess there was a pretty decent size crowd around the car when i was in the movies.

so i dont know what happened.. i got a report from the police department since i didnt even get a note that my car engine was up in flames when i came out! i know it could have been worse, but im kinda sad thinking about it all now. im gonna try and fix the parts in the engine... it looks like hoses are just a little melted, i dont know how the turbo faired yet

im getting an estimate after christmas
i had planned to go with rrm grille and stock hood / and wingless in the future.. but i didnt know it would be this soon
Old Dec 21, 2009, 07:38 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow that sucks! that looks pretty bad, could be worse though I guess right?
Mine caught on fire as well. welded the throttle cable in place and melted a whole ton of crap. Not fun... we ended up ripping everything out of the engine bay anyway for the project but I hope for your sake the burn isn't to bad.

PS. I went to see avatar with minimal expectations and was blown out of my seat! what did you think?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolving Member

Wow man :O

I'm sorry that's insane. You have any idea what could've sparked it?
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

That is just crazy
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Hello,

I'm sad to hear of your car catching fire. I had it happen to me once when driving but in my case it was a old FJ40 and the fire was electrical. With your car do you have any idea what or who started the fire?

Also, Is that a OEM Evo wing on it? Also what did you do about the center hole in the trunk when you installed the wing? I was wondering because on my Lancer , yellow also btw, center leg and I assume a hole if its removed. Anyway did you use bondo and paint the area or what? Ive been wondering as I see allot of Lancers with the Evo wing.

Justin
Old Dec 22, 2009, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

wow thats sad to hear. at least you're ok and thats most important. Say, i'd def be interested in buying you wing or possibly a trade. pm me if you're into it. Good luck.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 05:38 PM
Evolving Member

oh man i hate seeing lancers being in fire or getting an accident...
sorry to hear that man. good thing is youre okay. all i can think of is someone lit up a fire on your car..
Old Dec 22, 2009, 05:59 PM

I hope everything turns out ok bro. my thought is if the fire started from under the hood wouldn't your parts show more signs of fire damage?..more melted wires, etc.. maybe theres some haters riding around that thought it was funny to set ur hood on fire?
Old Dec 22, 2009, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
id claim it on insurance as vandalism, looks like it may have been set on fire.
Old Dec 22, 2009, 09:03 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justin.AZ
Hello,

I'm sad to hear of your car catching fire. I had it happen to me once when driving but in my case it was a old FJ40 and the fire was electrical. With your car do you have any idea what or who started the fire?

Also, Is that a OEM Evo wing on it? Also what did you do about the center hole in the trunk when you installed the wing? I was wondering because on my Lancer , yellow also btw, center leg and I assume a hole if its removed. Anyway did you use bondo and paint the area or what? Ive been wondering as I see allot of Lancers with the Evo wing.

Justin

id say if yoju can find one get one from an evo. thats what i did and it fits perfectly, plus makes a nice sleeper when racing

Originally Posted by lancer0220
id claim it on insurance as vandalism, looks like it may have been set on fire.
id say it would almost have to be, cuz from the pics they look like some dip**** lit something and "dropped" it in cuz he was a hater!

josh
Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Wondering if you had an oil fire around the area of the turbo oil line, and because of the hood vents the fire went out instead of burning around inside the engine bay. The hood vents probably saved you from way worse damage.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

i bet someone vandalized your car.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
sounds and looks more like vanadalized.. lighted some alcohal over the vent
motor is more then likely ok. just pull the valve cover off, check all the wires(wiring harnes might need to be pulled) flames could have damaaged the injectors also, depend son where it was) everything else should be ok. if you know your car pretty well you should be able to do a good once over yourself with a buddy watchin the car to make sure its nothing wrong with it on startup(like an injector leaking really bad)

if you notice in the pictures the oil line looks fine, the top of the silicon coupler is burnt, and the valve cover is chard up pretty bad.. someone lighting some alcohal threw the vent makes the most sense(due to the low burn temp). as long as you dont have any exposed or damaged wires, everything should be fine(but fix the valve cover)
i doubt you have any oil or fuel leaks going on that would cause that, fire would have been closed to the firewall or closer to the hood hinge.

Last edited by Demon_ni2; Dec 23, 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

sorry.. internet is not very good where i am for xmas

-yea turbotime! only thing that saved my night was that avatar(3d) by the way, was much better than expected

-justin it came with the wing when i got it, and i have a black plug in the middle.. which i dont like, i was looking into getting some touch up paint before all this for it. i just saw a thread about this somewhere on here

damien- yea, the wings carbon fiber in the middle is starting to come off a little. we can talk later if i decide to give it up.. nothing other than that wrong with it, but id give it away for cheap

sicktg- o yea! the hood vents looked like it saved my interior at least and maybe the engine from some big time fire damage!

demonni- thanks for the help man. im gonna clean everything up when the insurance guy comes and i get back home. itll be good to know what exactly i should be looking for

thanks for the thoughts guys. i really loved the car
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:39 PM
Evolving Member

im sorry about that but i was just excited at the fact that ur carbon fiber hood took the heat like a champ. Doesnt even looked deformed really xD

Quick Reply: OZ rally on fire :(