Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Wheel Bearings:

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Bearings:

I did some searching and couldn't find anything related to the Lancer's Wheel Bearings. Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone has replaced the Wheel Bearings for their Lancer. I have a 2002 ES and my car is making an annoying wobbling noise. I haven't hit anything but I drive everynight from Dirty Jersey to my GF's place in New York. I am assuming the potholes killed it. I just had a new clutch and used tranny put in and my mechanic said there is a lot of play on my passenger side wheel. He suggests I get my Wheel Bearing replaced. I did some searching on the net and found it for around $80.00. My other question is do our cars need the hub replaced as well? I know some cars only come with the Wheel Bearing itself vs. the Bearing and hub kit. Please shed some insight if you know.

Thanks in Advance.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 02:54 PM
Evolving Member

i have the same question regarding wheel bearings. i called up my local mitsu shop and they said that mitsu's have sealed bearings, so there is no need to repack. i have 48k miles on my 04 lancer es, and he said it SHOULD be covered under warranty. we'll see. btw, i'm getting grinding, especially when turning left at low speeds. hub replacements were quoted as 100 for the fronts and 144 for the rears...ouch. i'm going to the shop today to see what they can do. YRMV
Old Feb 27, 2006, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

I had all that done on my last car (a toyota) it gets pricey when you add in labor. Those were preasure fit sealed bearings and cost about 400$ to replace and install. Id assume the lancer is about the same unless you need new hubs. One point though . . . this is NOT something to hold off on. If youre hearing bad noises and feeling wobbles get it done NOW. You REALLY dont want one to go while youre driving.
Old Feb 27, 2006, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

I had to replace one when i skidded into a curb on black ice. I couldn't go to any other shops and they charged me somewhere in the high 200's i think for the part and install. I think it was around 260 but i can't remember. Yes absolutely do it now because with a bad wheel bearing you are destroying your tire tread and putting other more costly suspension parts at risk
Old Feb 28, 2006, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks a lot for the info guys. I can't get it done till next week so hopefully all will hold. I'll let you know the outcome.
Old May 8, 2006, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not trying to thread jack but I've been getting a grinding on my front brakes, and not just when stopping but whenever the car is moving...Could this be something with my wheel bearings?
Old May 8, 2006, 10:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ttt
Old May 8, 2006, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

It could be. Mine are bad now and sound like abosolute garbage when turning. Can a machine shop press them in If i take off the wheel hub?
Old May 8, 2006, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

usually. sometime however it can be cheaper to purchase the whole assembly, pre-made. had to do that for my jeep, would have cost more in labor for a shop to do it than the assembly cost.
Old May 9, 2006, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

I was trying to find the parts on car-parts.com but to no avail. They don't list wheel hub assembly's.
Old May 10, 2006, 02:00 AM
EvoM Guru

steering knuckle?
Old May 10, 2006, 02:09 AM
Evolving Member

Mitsui dealerships quotes for the wheel hub assemblies...100 for each front and 144 for each rear. these are the sealed type. i get horrible grinding at lower speeds (very noticable up to about 40) and during slow cornering.
Old May 10, 2006, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

interesting to find this thread as i was just going threw that madness today. my cars been squeaking and thought it was wheel bearings. got a set from auto zone for 40 something a piece. turns out theyre are definately pressed in and cant be changed by hand. but i was wrong anyways, turned out to be a caliper sticking that would squeal once it heated up. so maybe consider your brakes. unless its a ginding noise then its definatly bearings. just buy the whole wheel hub and do it yourself. its to easy to do then to actually pay someone.
just watch those front sway bar mounts. both mine broke from rust.
Old May 11, 2006, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Easiest way to find if your wheel bearing is bad.

Place foot on top edge of tire and push HARD. Any movement at all and the bearing is shot. All weight is carried on bearing. If you are unsure jack it up and try to wiggle the tire top to bottom. Press on the top because if you press on the side you will probably feel the play in your steering.

Ok so if it is shot, best and cheapest bet is to locate the whole knuckle and swap it out. Someone already said this, you are smart.

If you want to live on the edge go buy just the bearing. I believe we have a press fit setup (never looked but its pretty standard) so if your hub was banging around inside the old bearing it may kill the new bearing quickly because it has to be TIGHT, like 2 ton press tight with no nicks.

Do it right or do it again and again. I've been burned on press fit bearings and hubs 2 times at about $120 a pop trying to reuse the hub before I bought a whole used knuckle for $45 on a Tempo.
Old May 11, 2006, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by airlinevomitbag
Do it right or do it again and again. I've been burned on press fit bearings and hubs 2 times at about $120 a pop trying to reuse the hub before I bought a whole used knuckle for $45 on a Tempo.
Where from?

And do wheel hub assemblies come with the bearing pressed in?

Quick Reply: Wheel Bearings: