Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

HELP! Rotor Selection

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! Rotor Selection

I'm gonna buy new rotors and ive decided to go with the slotted cuz it resists warpage more and reduces hot spots right....well i narrowed my choices down to
- Brembo Sport Slotted Rotor $153(Pair)
- Powerslot Cryo-Treated Rotor $238(pair)
- Powerslot Power Slot Rotor $172 (Pair)
- RRM Race Series Rotor $179(Pair)

all to be used with OEM brake pads from the dealership. If anyone could recomend a good combination of pads/rotors to use for my kind of driving that would be great.

Ive heard of powerslot before but i don't know if there any good. I go up to do mountain runs quite often. Are these rotors good for that type of driving or what? Just to let you guys know my stock rotors are all jacked up, hot spots all over, warped, and grooved . thanks for the help!
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

i got the stuff from RRM....the mid grade on pads and rotors and they work great!!.....ther is really no reason to get aftermarket rotors and stock pads.....just do both..

DO NOT GO CHEAP EITHER!!! cause these are ur brakes.....u want to stop.

also do not get crossdrilled....those are not real good for our car cause of the weight and u need heat friction to build up in order to stop....my 2cents
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

also which brake pads from RRM should i get with which rotor? Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

i would just go with stock rotors and maybe aftermarket pads

aftermarket rotors, cross drilled, slotted, whatever... none of em are going to increase braking dramatically, if you want better braking think about wieght transfering such as relocating your battery to your trunk, or hell, just making your car lighter makes your brakes better.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

im just worried about the rotors getting all messed up again... is that caused by the pads?
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...ry=Rotorsthats the link to the rotors from tirerack(brembo and powerslot)
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sykou
im just worried about the rotors getting all messed up again... is that caused by the pads?
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...ry=Rotorsthats the link to the rotors from tirerack(brembo and powerslot)
no, thats caused by improper braking, trust me ive done it twice now, most of the time its because heat isnt being transfered evenly, this could be caused by something as big as you braking hard on the freeway, to something as minor as hitting em with the hose when your about to wash your car and theyre still hot.

if you go aftermarket, (especially cross drilled and slotted) there is more of a chance of this occuring.

i highly recommend just going stock and just monitoring your braking, itll be cheaper.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

awe man... from what your telling me, the only way to stop the rotors from getting jacked up is to not go up to the mountains then.... that bites! oh and if your thinking its just driving up and down hills, its more like accelerating hard, decelerating hard over and over again while making turns. like touge i guess...
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

^uh... sounds like you just need to take it easier on your car then
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

I have run the RRM race series rotors for the last 2 years and have nothing but good things to say about them. A great quality rotor from a good company.

But, for my Sentra SER race car I am just running brembo OE replacement rotors with upgraded brake pads which is what most of the SER cup teams run also. So if they do make brembo OE replacement rotors and you are trying not to spend too much money that may be an option for you.

All four rotors that you listed are good quality (from my knowledge anyway) so choose that you want.

And remember, the most important thing for Rotor life is proper break it. This will prevent the rotors from warpping. Also, if you ever touch the rotors with your hands or anything.. before you drop the car make sure you clean the rotors with some brake clean before you put the wheels back on. These oily, greasy deposits on the rotor can cause uneven wear, in turn causing warpped rotors.

As for pads, it depends what you plan on doing with the car. The pad will help better braking more than a rotor. Both upgraded pads and rotors (rotors to a much smaller degree) help to fight against brakefade which is caused by heat.

The biggest thing to increase braking is not actually the brakes. making the car lighter will help.. but most importantly, your braking is only as good as your tires. You can only really improve braking distances if your tire can maintain grip better. You can upgrade the brakes all you want but if you leave the stock tires it is most likely going to just lock up sooner.

Good luck
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

I have the RRM race series as well, they're great! BTW, having slotted rotors has nothing to do with warpage. The slots let out gasses that build up between the pad and rotor under hard braking. Get the RRM rotors, and a set of axxis street pads. The full race pads are a bit much, and don't really work untill you get them hot. If you drive your car hard in the mountains...get braided brake lines too...that helps alot with brake fade.
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

thanks a lot^^ should i go with the porterfields from RRM then? im afraid they'll cut into the rotor cuz they last longer am i wrong?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

When did rotors go up so much? I got my Brembo cd & slotted rotors for < $100...
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

idk. never looked into slotted till now....i think this is what im gonna go with..
- RRM race series slotted rotors
- Axxis Deluxe brake pads

any opinions?
Old Mar 7, 2006, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

go with them...cant go worng....thats what i have
Old Mar 7, 2006, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks everyone for all the help! just ordered the rotors and pads. thanks

Quick Reply: HELP! Rotor Selection