Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Brake problem pt II

Old Aug 27, 2007, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake problem pt II

My car's wheels squeak at low speeds. The squeak stops WHEN i brake..

the squeak has been getting on my nerves for a long time now, I took it back to the spot where I had my brakes changed, they said I needed new rotors; which is total bs, I had them resurfaced a few months prior to hearing the noise..

Need help!!!!!!
Old Aug 27, 2007, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
if they are floating calipers lube up the slides and see if that works. they might be sticking
Old Aug 28, 2007, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

what kind of pads do you have and are they properly shimmed?

i've got porterfield full race pads on my lancer and they are noisy as hell... even after shimming and lubricating EVERYWHERE... they don't shut up. they sure stop good though. oh well!
Old Aug 29, 2007, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atilla
i've got porterfield full race pads on my lancer and they are noisy as hell... even after shimming and lubricating EVERYWHERE... they don't shut up. they sure stop good though. oh well!
Porterfield pads rock.
But his problem is noise when he is NOT braking.
How much meat is left on your pads?
You said you got your rotors worked on a few months ago, you know that a few months can do wonders on your rotors; right?

Squeaking from the brake assy when you are not braking is usually caused by worned pads. The warning pin rubs against the rotor when you drive and shuts up when you start braking. That's usually a sign your pads are about to go, or it might also be a sign of something improperly aligned in your brake assembly.

The rotor could be warped, the pads could be sitting at a slight angle, there could be a rock or whatever stuck in the assy. I say you should just take it appart and investigate yourself.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 09:41 PM
Evolving Member

when I had it checked out at the time, there was plenty of meat left on the pads (80%), due to the fact that when the rotors were worked on a few months prior, the pads were replaced as well...

it is more than a few months now, the resurfacing (and pad replacement) was back in january, but I don't track or drive down mountains or stop too abruptly, just typical street and freeway driving; but the squeak has been going on since like.. april

and thanks for the suggestions guys!!