Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Help - Tire Rotation

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help - Tire Rotation

Hi,

I have a Lancer 08 GTS and i'm do for a wheel rotation. The dealer wants $80+tax to rotate the wheels. I want to do it myself. I'm new to diy car maintenance. I've borrowed a jack and jack stands.

Here are my concerns.

If i take the wheel off, will it ripp off the tire pressure sensor somewhere?

Any advice or suggestion would be greatful. thanx
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Your sensors are wireless man. Just take off the lugs, front tires to the back, back to the opposite side front (unless they're directional tires- in which case back to front, front to back).

i should mention too that each wheel is coded differently, so you shouldn't have a problem with rotation

Last edited by spumoni1984; Apr 30, 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Have you ever taken a wheel of a car before? If you only know how to drive a car and put gas in it I suggest you get some help from someone. It's not that hard unless you are the type of person that doesn't want to get their hands dirty. Put some latex gloves on to keep your hands clean-BTW just don't bend over too far!
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

i did mine for free at Americas Tire.. lol
Old Apr 30, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

if you still have the stock tires, they are directional. so only rotate front to back, do not do the criss cross pattern.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 05:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if yo have the jack stands is a piece of cake. You will not rip off anything and wow $80 + tax is ridiculous.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by kalpakiotis
if you still have the stock tires, they are directional. so only rotate front to back, do not do the criss cross pattern.
Stock tires for the GTS? The lancer is my first car and I'm learning to maintain the car myself right now with my dad. Last month we swapped the winter tires back to stock tires and I remember my dad taught me to rotate the tires & do the criss cross pattern, so should I change it back or it'll be bad for my tires/affect handling?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

If your tires are directional, you CAN NOT criss cross rotate them. It's recommended to rotate your tires every 6000-8000 miles to get even tire wear. Your TPMS is mounted inside your rim, probably directly to your valve stem, for this is where I've seen them mounted on 95% of the rims I've installed tires on. (I work in the tire center at Costco) Make sure also to check the torque specs and torque the wheels to the right amount of ft lbs.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

how do you know if they are directional tires or not?

edit- nvm. i think i get it after looking at my tires lol... is it just how like.. the treads are kinda like a V? and non-directional would be treads across the width? (so that it looks the same from front and back)

Last edited by stefan.bounket; Apr 30, 2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 11:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stefan.bounket
how do you know if they are directional tires or not?

edit- nvm. i think i get it after looking at my tires lol... is it just how like.. the treads are kinda like a V? and non-directional would be treads across the width? (so that it looks the same from front and back)
look on your side wall and it should have something similar to this, in which the arrow of direction ALWAYS points to the front of the car. (to the left on drivers side, and to the right on the parrenger side)

edit: directional tires are usually like a V, and non-directional tires will say OUTSIDE and INSIDE on them and the position of the tire on the vehicle doesn't matter, as long as they're mounted right.
Old May 1, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

i also think directional tires have a different weave inside the tire compared to the non directional version. usually non-directionals are for slower rated tires since the physical forces arent there.

changing the direction will cause your tires to deteriorate faster. not sure if it will effect handling, and i dont think you would notice it while driving either.
Old May 1, 2008, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

i also think directional tires have a different weave inside the tire compared to the non directional version. usually non-directionals are for slower rated tires since the physical forces arent there.

changing the direction will cause your tires to deteriorate faster. not sure if it will effect handling, and i dont think you would notice it while driving either.
Not true. Many of the High Performance tires are non directional. For example, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 tires are non-directional, and are one of the best performance tires on the market. The Bridgestone Potenze RE070 is a non directional tire as well, and those are OEM tires on STis.
Old May 1, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

i realize not all tires are unidirectional, and that there are probably hundreds of high performance tires that are non-directional. i dont care which it is because i'm not racing my car, but i cant wait to see the TWEELs come out.
Old May 1, 2008, 07:51 PM

I'm probably too late but I fear for your life. This is one of those rare situations where I would say pay someone else to do it. You're going to get yourself and some innocent bystander killed. Do you even have a torque wrench?
Old May 2, 2008, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

i realize not all tires are unidirectional, and that there are probably hundreds of high performance tires that are non-directional. i dont care which it is because i'm not racing my car, but i cant wait to see the TWEELs come out.
Racing your has nothing to do with having high performance tires on it. Such vehicles as evos and stis REQUIRE at least a W rated tire on them. This being said, you HAVE to buy these tires or else the things you bought the car for will suffer. (handling, ride comfort, road noise, and performance are just a few) For example, I run Pilot Sport PS2s for daily driver tires, and Advans on my second set of rims for the road course track.

Quick Reply: Help - Tire Rotation