Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Need to shave rotors when replacing brake pads?

Old Aug 7, 2008, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dear Mr. thenoob

They are called "brakes" not "breaks" and "the easiest way to fix the problem" is not to jack the car, remove the wheels, remove the calipers, remove the rotors, put the rotors on a lathe, cut the rotors and then reverse the operation. The "the easiest way to fix the problem" is to learn how to rebed the pads and do it.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 07:49 AM

Alright bro,
Forgive me for misspelling a few words. I was trying to calm down a six month old... my bad. Like I said before, the bashing of other members is not necessary.

I do know how to rebed the brakes, and I do not recommend doing so unless you know how and have to proper place to do it. The process can be very dangerous and have seen the aftermath of it. Doing a rebed with pulsing brakes is even more so dangerous. If the rebed is done incorrectly, it can cause a severe pulse. Being a Certified Tech, I recommend the turning of rotors for brake pulse. It brings the rotors to a brand new surface, which is needed for proper braking. If you choose to listen to me or not, that is up to you. I have said what I needed to say, but by all means... Do what you want.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolving Member

Well I think shaving the rotors will be the smart move. However, I purchased RRM slotted rotors and their pads to got with it. I will get the package next week and will install the same or next day. I think this will be my best bet rather than going to Mitsu and reshave. I spent the extra $100 and got myself performance pads and rotors maybe this will prevent this from happening again. The rotors will now cool off sooner and not warp when I hit water or whatever else casues it. It rains in one county and 15 minutes away its sunny, thats florida!

By the way my car isnt so stock I have made some mods to it.

Today is FRIDAY, OOH COLD ONE
Old Aug 8, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know how those rotors and pads work out for you....
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:47 AM

Keep us updated bro! And, let the drinking begin
Old Aug 9, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

"Your breaks are our bread and butter"

$ How much do you figure it would cost to remedy this dangerous situation? $

Just thought it would be the fair thing to do to let others know the real cause and an easy fix to this common problem, didn't mean to take food off your table.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

I just got the rotors and pads in yesterday, I am installing today after work. My father in law was taking the rotors off of my wifes saturn and it reminded me that he could help me with the installation. So when I get them installed today I will posts some pics and reviews.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:22 AM

Good deal! Let us know how you like them. Good luck
Old Aug 13, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet Alex and I didn't know if you 2 racing seats? Where did you get them?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FLOW1
Sweet Alex and I didn't know if you 2 racing seats? Where did you get them?
I installed the rotors and they are sweet, RRM rotors with pads were installed last night by my boy MATT. Damn it looks good and stops great. The pulsing has stopped and I am very impressed. Thanks RRM!!!

Forget about shaving your rotors with MITSU they charge over $100 for shaving and with pads its $189. My father in law had them shaved on his car for $8. But I figured i would buy RRM rotors and pads to start fresh with performance parts.

I got the seats from http://www.shophyperformance.com/cgi-bin/hp/
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:53 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by cfdfireman1
Dear Mr. thenoob

They are called "brakes" not "breaks" and "the easiest way to fix the problem" is not to jack the car, remove the wheels, remove the calipers, remove the rotors, put the rotors on a lathe, cut the rotors and then reverse the operation. The "the easiest way to fix the problem" is to learn how to rebed the pads and do it.
rebedding is free. why not try that first, is how i see it.

if that doesn't seem to work then maybe replacing or turning/surfacing the rotors (please don't call it "shaving") would be an alternative.

either way, it seems the OP solved the issue, though he may have spent more than he needed. but you know what? it's done, he's happy, and the problem has been resolved.

to the OP: in case this happens again (it very well might), please try cleaning off the rotors and/or rebedding. it's free and worth a shot.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

RRM slotted rotors

It's been a while since I posted, the rotors from RRM are ok. The only problem is the fact the rotors have a lip. When it came time to shave the slotted rotors from RRM i was unable to due to the Lip on the edge of the rotor. That sucks, their brake gives off a lot of brake dust but that might have been intended by the maker.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

A lip would be one of the few reasons to "shave" or as the rest of the civilized world would say cut or resurface a rotor. The reason you don't want to do this unnecessarily is because it reduces the mass of the rotor thus reducing it's ability to absorb heat without raising temperature. If you feel a vibration in the wheel just rebed the pads and call it a day. Who ever told you you couldn't cut the rotors because of a lip is FOS.

Last edited by cfdfireman1; Jun 3, 2010 at 08:13 AM.