Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

lancer wheel/tire size and offset tech

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2003, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*All important information from this thread will be copied HERE * -UK

maybe sticky this, mods.. if u think it's good! i put it hopefully where newbs will see it. i'd like everyone to add on info that they have, if it rubs on their setups, where it rubs, how far a drop, and brand specifics. for example:

18x8" +42mm offset
225/40/zr18
no drop (yet, will update)
rubs: inside wheel well, on mud flap. rear rubs on the small lip in the wheel well when going over bumps.
solutions: pound wheel well with a hammer to push it back. be safe about it! don't do too much at once! remove mud flaps. grind off inside lip on rear.

as far as general info:
wheel size is measured in inches. first number is diameter, second number is width. the offset is how far in or out the rim sits. this is very important on our car... you generally want to stay between +38 and +48 mm offset.
tire size is measured with the first number as the width (in mm, i believe), the second number is a ratio to the actual wheel size (this is the sidewall), and the third number is the rim size the tire sits on.

tire tech:
as a rule of thumb, you'll want to have a tire that fits your rim. (no, really?!) the only thing you'll really have to worry about is the width, as long as you're not trying to seat 17" tires on 18s, haha. for this i'm following a rule that you'll want the tire to be about flush with the rim (no rim stickin out!). if u want your rim to stick out, or you want the tire out more, move up in size a bit.
the diameter at this point has no real relavance, so the letter D will be used in it's place.

Dx7 = 205
Dx7.5 = 215
Dx8 = 225

you can pretty much see what to do. for every 1/2", add or subtract 10 from this number.

your sidewall (the second number) must be taken into consideration depending on what you'll use it for. if you want your rim safe, go with a 40+ sidewall. however, don't go too big or your rim may no longer fit in the wheel well! 35 will normally work for daily driving, but you may run it a bit close in potholes, etc. any lower than a 35 should be used for show or track only! keep those rims safe!

as far as rim sizes go, you'll want to go no bigger than 19s on the lancer, and this is only if you're ready to do some fender flaring or rolling. as a safe bet, however, go no larger than a 18x7.5 rim size. with this size, go with a 35 series sidewall. 17x7.5 is a safe bet, and 17x7 is even safer. there's close to no chance of rubbing with a 17x7 rim. also keep in mind that the bigger the rim, the more your car has to turn, meaning less power to the wheels with greater size. to figure this out, use the w(pi)r^2 rule to find the volume and compare the numbers between a 17x7 and an 18x8. big difference, eh?

what you decide to go with will depend on what you want your car to look like. if you're going for show, bigger rims may be your best bet. if you're looking for performance, smaller rims will be your friend. in my personal opinion, 17" is the smallest rim i'd go with. with a smaller rim you have room for more tire as well. you may want to increase tire size depending on how much off roading you'll be doing.

as far as lowering goes, trusted companies that have proven themselves time and time again are eibach, h&r, progress, and tein (add more if i forgot any). these springs will not only lower your car, but will also give you better handling. how far you decide to drop is based on your personal likings and the setup you have.

if i left anything big out, let me know! just add on whatever you have to... add on. hopefully this helped.

-tyrone

Last edited by urbanknight; Mar 7, 2004 at 11:09 AM.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

acctually that is really helpful, i think a mod should sticky this
Old Nov 21, 2003, 08:54 PM

why would you say this is boring and useleess it is very helpful and stimulating ...... you are a liar.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

LIAR! lol too bad you didn't post something like this a few months back...wudda saved me a bunch of pointing and clicking and typing hehehe. anyways, yeah its a great idea for noobs...for the longest time i was tryin to figure out what the optimal offset for a 17X7.5 with a 35 tire would be...took forever. heh, nicejob. shud def. be stickied.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by LancerDriven
LIAR! lol too bad you didn't post something like this a few months back...wudda saved me a bunch of pointing and clicking and typing hehehe. anyways, yeah its a great idea for noobs...for the longest time i was tryin to figure out what the optimal offset for a 17X7.5 with a 35 tire would be...took forever. heh, nicejob. shud def. be stickied.
just for the record, i was figuring out what size rim and tire to get back then. people were telling me to get a 245 to go with an 18x8! that's crazy! my 225 is flush! oh yea, and i didn't get enuf people telling me to not go with an 18x8... it's possible, but u run into problems.

i ran a lot of searches, and this is what i came up with. info from people that knew what they were talking about for sure.

if you're curious, i drew the idea that 18x7.5 was about as big as you'd wanna go from zlancer... he has wayy less problems than i do and my tire is only 1/2" wider! it makes a difference. it would have helped if i had gone with a lower profile tire as well.. i probably will size down next time i change.
oh, and for the record, there is a guy on the forums (whitemike or something) that has 19x8 on his car with i don't know what kind of problems. i'd assume similar to mine unless he's done body mods. but this should be fine with a 35 series sidewall as long as you don't drop!

after all my typing, a mod better sticky this
Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

thanks kensuke .. i bet alotta people will find this helpful..
Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

whats teh differnece between the 100 and 114.3?? which one fits our cars?
Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by twinkiemobile
whats teh differnece between the 100 and 114.3?? which one fits our cars?
the lancer oz rally & lancer ls have a 4x114.3 bolt pattern
the lancer es has a 4x100 bolt pattern

this was probably one of the obvious questions, so i'm glad someone asked.

also, for the record, this isn't the only suspension difference the es has from the oz/ls. the es need the "oz rally front upper strut mounts" in order to use oz lowering springs. however, the lancer es can use 1997 and up mirage springs because of the suspension difference. some say that it's bad to do this because our car is about 200 lbs heavier, but i was advised by rob at rrm to do so... so i think i'll get the eibachs!
oh, and people have tried to fit mirage struts with no avail. however, es owners, good news! tokico struts are in development for our vehicle and will release soon. run a search on the forums for "tokico" and i'm sure something will come up.

EDIT: i forgot to add that the difference between the two bolt patterns is nothing but size. a lot of 4-lug wheels will be able to fit both 4x100 and 4x114.3, but make sure the rims fit your car before you go blindly buying 4-luggers. i've heard of a 4x108 size before (when i was looking for japanese racing rims), and i'm pretty sure these will not fit our car.

Last edited by kensuke; Nov 21, 2003 at 10:53 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

well if you have the es (like myself) have the 4 x 100... its the bolt pattern nothing to do with size or anything

edit: hahaha he beat me to the reply and made mine look stupid
Old Nov 21, 2003, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

I don't remember were it is at, but some posted a wheel/tire size vs. speedometer calculator. I think it would be helpful here too. I'll keep searching for it.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 11:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by LooksFast
well if you have the es (like myself) have the 4 x 100... its the bolt pattern nothing to do with size or anything

edit: hahaha he beat me to the reply and made mine look stupid
haha, don't worry about it bro! as long as you have something to add, go for it. i just happen to be online right now and am being a crazy vulture to my thread that didn't get any posts all afternoon

Originally posted by jojoskates
I don't remember were it is at, but some posted a wheel/tire size vs. speedometer calculator. I think it would be helpful here too. I'll keep searching for it.
yea, that would be great! i think my speedo is 5mph off, but i can never be sure. i really need to get it recalibrated
Old Nov 21, 2003, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
u mentioned that springs from the 97+mirage will work with the Lancer ES

will coilovers fro the 97+ Mirage work as well??

p.s....im not very well informed on wut coil-overs and all that require, u said the struts won't work, so i guess coil-overs wouldnt either..but just checking. great post by the way
Old Nov 21, 2003, 11:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Drive02Lancer
u mentioned that springs from the 97+mirage will work with the Lancer ES

will coilovers fro the 97+ Mirage work as well??

p.s....im not very well informed on wut coil-overs and all that require, u said the struts won't work, so i guess coil-overs wouldnt either..but just checking. great post by the way
i do remember hearing something about mirage coilovers and i believe that the general consensus was no. besides, most of the mirage coilovers you'll find are $50 ebay-quality ones. your best bet would be to get the $1200 tein coilover kit if you're very serious about getting them (and have the financial backing to do it!). i know that this isn't within my 17 year old budget, so springs are my next buy!

Last edited by kensuke; Nov 21, 2003 at 11:20 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah...im 18 and couldnt afford $1k for just coilovers, lmao....my brakes have been squeeking for 2 weeks now i can't afford to get new brake pads even...i can't find any besides RRM and the Dealer...went to all the local Autozones/Advance Auto Parts, Sears Auto center..all of em said my car was to new...and the f***** dealer wants $150 to replace the 2 front pads...F that man...i know how to change brake pads and rotors etc....well i got a lil off topic htere...sorry about that.
Old Nov 21, 2003, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

I found it

Tire calculator
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Quick Reply: lancer wheel/tire size and offset tech