Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

rear squeaks

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear squeaks

What would cause my rear to squeak when i have someone sit back there?

Normally i drive by myself and car is good, no noises. But then when i have people in the back the rear noise just goes crazy.

I think its sway bar related, but would it be the sway bar bushing or the end-links?
Old Nov 7, 2010, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by bowlofturtle
What would cause my rear to squeak when i have someone sit back there?

Normally i drive by myself and car is good, no noises. But then when i have people in the back the rear noise just goes crazy.

I think its sway bar related, but would it be the sway bar bushing or the end-links?
It's likely your lower shock bushings and rear lower control arm bushings. Little bit of spray lubricant will help.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 03:44 PM

So in this picture i'm lubing 5 and 6. The parts where i dotted red/pink. Should i disregard the purple?

lower shock bushing... this is part of the shock itself, so i should replace the shock to take care of that ?

The lower arm is one those press-in/ press-out bushing that i dont want to do. So i'll leave that be.

Are these really common with this car? To me it really sounds like swaybar bushing/links, i've heard a lot of front ones go bad on cars and similiar noise. I sprayed some white lithium grease on the sway bar stuff last weekend and it didn't do much...
Attached Thumbnails rear squeaks-arm.jpg  
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:58 AM

Alrighty so I have a 2003 OZ from Michigan so it has a bit more rust than most nearing 80,000 miles. I too had this similar squeaking in the rear and after months of hopeing it would go away if i lubricated enough it was so bad that it squeaked if you laid a finger on the rear bumper.
Now in my case the bolts that you had marked in the diagram had fused to the bearing they were through and we had to beat them out, press out the old bushing and replace the bushing and bolt both. Once we had all of the parts out it was obvious that the bushings were toast and needed replaced. I also replaced all of the bushings corrisponding with the rear sway bar and both inner and outer sides of the control arm.

As i stated earlier my car has a bit more rust on the underbody than most in the Indiana area so when we tried to replace the bushings for the sway bar we had to break i believe it was 9 of the 11 bolts, drill through the broken bolt and extract it from the tacked in bolt on the underbody for the brackets that hold the sway bar. The pressing of the bushings without a press took about five hours from start to finish but I am also a perfectionist. Now there is no squeaking and the rear actually feels a bit stiffer for a change.