Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Sway Bars for 03 Lancer ES? Fix bad handling

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2014, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway Bars for 03 Lancer ES? Fix bad handling

I'm trying to tighten my suspension and better my handling for general purposes, an I thought sway bars would be a good start.
Has anybody else put sway bars on there 03 ES? If so a how - to would be great because im not too sure where to begin. I am trying to learn everything I can before making any purchases, my main goal is to tighten my suspension and handling. My car sways all over the highway and doesn't feel safe at times. If anybody has any helpful information that would be great! Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2014, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry, I don't carry any bars or springs for the car.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a lower tie bar by RRM with only 1k miles on it, i noticed a difference when I had that installed before.

rear strut tower brace, upgraded rear sway bar, upgraded front sway bar, front strut tower brace, tie bar, fender braces... that should help a ton
Old Dec 25, 2014, 06:55 AM

that was very helpful

I had heard about sways & struts for years but never really knew anything about them. So I did some research. Gonna go ahead and put front & rear struts first, than sways. Then figure out what to do next if I'm still not satisfied! I have ordered a few of the parts but due to the holidays they may take a week or two before they are delivered. Once they are in I'll keep this post updated though!
Old Dec 25, 2014, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Smiggs420
I'm trying to tighten my suspension and better my handling for general purposes, an I thought sway bars would be a good start.
Has anybody else put sway bars on there 03 ES? If so a how - to would be great because im not too sure where to begin. I am trying to learn everything I can before making any purchases, my main goal is to tighten my suspension and handling. My car sways all over the highway and doesn't feel safe at times. If anybody has any helpful information that would be great! Thanks!

get your alignment checked. and make sure the front sway bar (front stabilizer) endlinks are not broken, and that the bushings are intact.

after that. installing the sway bar is simple, though being an ES, could require some special tools, like a tap and die set.

for a swaybar, anything that fits the CS6A (ES,LS,OZ 2002-2006) or CS7A (Ralliart 2004-2006) chassis will all be the same...when I installed my whiteline bar in my ralliart, I put my stock ralliart swaybar on the ES, and it handled much better...

for installation, you'll need some oem parts (bolts mounts and brackets)...if you get an aftermarket bar, it should include bushings. The mounting points are already in the chassis (bolt holes for bar mounts), for mine, they were very corroded and had to be tapped. If they're really bad, they may need to be re-drilled and tapped at a larger diameter. I have some decent pictures of my bar installed...it's pretty easy to see where everything goes. no, I don't think that's an approved jacking point

Old Dec 27, 2014, 08:25 PM

That helps tremendously, especially the images. They will definitely come in handy when it comes time to install the sway bar. Im going to get my alignment checked out after the holidays shortly before I purchase the sway bar.

I already went ahead and bought some strut bars because they weren't too expensive, im not expecting them to do much but they could only help. Again I appreciate all of that information, its definitely going to help me tighten up the suspension on my ES!
Old Dec 28, 2014, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

rear swaybar will make the most difference...also look into stiffer springs...
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:23 AM

Hey I had a quick question. Do you know if a sway bar for a CS5W Cedia Ralliart Wagon would also fit on an 03 Lancer ES? I found a nice sway bar that says it fits an 03 Cedia Wagon but it doesn't say if it fits an 03 ES. I believe it does but I'm not positive so I thought I would ask. Thanks

-Gary
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

front or rear...I think I replied to this question somewhere else...if the CS5W is the Lancer cedia ralliart then it should be the same...the whiteline bar is p/n BMR79, and fits all lancers from 02-06...
Old Feb 20, 2015, 09:07 AM

I was checking out that whiteline sway bar you mentioned but whiteline discontinued it. Though im sure I can still find a front and rear one somewhere online.

But the one i was looking at that fit the Cedia Wagon was for the front and I believe they made one for the rear as well. They are Cusco brand. A bit too expensive if you ask me, I think ill go with the whiteline, they are cheaper and will do the job.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know if whiteline makes one for the front, but the front bar is pretty hefty...it's the rear that's really lacking...and since you drive an ES, you don't even have a rear...
Old Feb 22, 2015, 05:39 PM

I'll probably just buy the rear and leave the front alone. I was not aware the ES didn't have a rear...I can only imagine the difference. The only front bar for an ES that i was able to find was a Cusco brand for about $300. I don't think the car is worth putting too much into it though especially if it already has a decent bar in it. Ill post when I put it on & the difference it makes
Old Feb 23, 2015, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

you're not from Ashburn, Ontario are you?

my old 03 ES is floating around Ontario, Canada with my stock Ralliart sway bar on it...
Old Feb 25, 2015, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Smiggs420
I was checking out that whiteline sway bar you mentioned but whiteline discontinued it. Though im sure I can still find a front and rear one somewhere online.

But the one i was looking at that fit the Cedia Wagon was for the front and I believe they made one for the rear as well. They are Cusco brand. A bit too expensive if you ask me, I think ill go with the whiteline, they are cheaper and will do the job.
If you're looking for a rear sway bar progress makes a 19mm rear sway bar for the lancer i ordered mine i will get it this weekend

Last edited by marcouxa1; Feb 25, 2015 at 12:19 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

another great option...costs a fair bit more, but the extra 1mm should increase torsion by a good amount...

Quick Reply: Sway Bars for 03 Lancer ES? Fix bad handling