Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Coilovers for Autocrossing 09 Lancer ES

Old Jan 14, 2015, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilovers for Autocrossing 09 Lancer ES

Thinking Tein or Megan Racing coilovers for optimum handling performance for autocross and track days. Will need to be adjustable for daily driving.

What have you all used in the past? What works and what doesn't? Suggestions?

-09 Lancer ES-
Old Feb 3, 2015, 05:36 PM

Ok, guess that was asking too much.

-Has anyone done coilovers?

-Are the suspension mounts different for the evo vs base es lancer?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by LuckyLancer
Ok, guess that was asking too much.

-Has anyone done coilovers?

-Are the suspension mounts different for the evo vs base es lancer?
Mounts are different.

I have BC Racing BR type coilovers.

From what I've read lower end $1k range coilovers BC Racing, K-Sport, Megan, D2, Tein, Stance are all the same. One manufacturer makes them, the only thing that's different is paint. So it really doesn't matter which one you get.

As far as performance goes, coilovers are not enough. They will definitely improve handling, mostly due to lower center of gravity and stiffness. There's still plenty of body roll and understeer. You'd need stiffer sway bars, rear strut bar, front under brace, wider sticky tires (stock tires are ****...). All I have is coilovers and rear camber kit, not going ***** through the wall on racing a lancer, so that's enough for me. If I had to do it again and wanted more performance out of my car, I'd go with KW Variant 2 ($1.8k), and all the stiffer bars and braces. Oh and don't forget the brakes. It stops, but it's not a performance car to begin with...

Hope that helps.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 02:19 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for the input, appreciate mentioning additional variables involved. In addition to your experience and advice, if anyone else is considering coilovers, suggest a visit to http://www.bestcoiloverguide.com/start/. Lots of brands/basic info covered that I found helpful. Now to make actual purchase decisions...

~Cheers~
Old Feb 25, 2015, 12:24 AM

I bought HSD coilovers 2 years ago, I only drive my lancer in the summer months so I only drove on them for about 12 months total. Great quality product. They're extremely popular in Australia and are known to be really durable and used for drifting so they'll definitely hold up in auto x. But like they other member said, you'll pretty much want to upgrade everything else suspension related. I only got them for 80% cosmetic purposes and 20% performance upgrade. But I chose them because I knew they'll probably last the life of the car as well especially in Northern Ontario ****ty roads.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 06:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For quality and ability to be serviced, if needed, look at KSport coilovers. Remember, what fits the RalliArt will fit the Es, GT, SE, and DE. So lots of choices. Tein and Megan and BC coilovers are gonna be your cheapest ones. Will handle good on smooth roads but will be brutal on streets. From experience.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 06:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Wicked Doc
Mounts are different.

I have BC Racing BR type coilovers.

From what I've read lower end $1k range coilovers BC Racing, K-Sport, Megan, D2, Tein, Stance are all the same. One manufacturer makes them, the only thing that's different is paint. So it really doesn't matter which one you get.

As far as performance goes, coilovers are not enough. They will definitely improve handling, mostly due to lower center of gravity and stiffness. There's still plenty of body roll and understeer. You'd need stiffer sway bars, rear strut bar, front under brace, wider sticky tires (stock tires are ****...). All I have is coilovers and rear camber kit, not going ***** through the wall on racing a lancer, so that's enough for me. If I had to do it again and wanted more performance out of my car, I'd go with KW Variant 2 ($1.8k), and all the stiffer bars and braces. Oh and don't forget the brakes. It stops, but it's not a performance car to begin with...

Hope that helps.
This is a great recommendation. All true. I used Cusco Zero2r's on my wrx years ago and even $2200 coilovers sucked on the street. Designed for the track. Less shock travel means bouncing all over. Springs on RalliArt shocks will work great with sways, and lots of bracing. In autox your mods put you in different classes.