Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

rear struts had replaceable bushing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear struts had replaceable bushing?

Hi guys,

there been an horrible squaks from the rear driver of the car recently i take a look and seems the strut bushing is shoot, there is a way to replace only the bushing o do it need to buy new struts? the current one work fine so far, i dont feel like spending more money than i should.

thanks.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts
What car?
By strut bushing im assuming lower control arm bushing?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
the rear spring and damper assembly is generally referred to as a shock absorber, and fronts are usually referred to as struts...anyway there is no replacement i'm aware of for the shock bushing, best thing to do is to lubricate it, or replace the whole shock absorber...
Old Oct 24, 2016, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by 4b11slayer
What car?
By strut bushing im assuming lower control arm bushing?
sorry, the car is 2002 lancer LS, i mean the bushing that is in strut itself, not the control arm.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
the rear spring and damper assembly is generally referred to as a shock absorber, and fronts are usually referred to as struts...anyway there is no replacement i'm aware of for the shock bushing, best thing to do is to lubricate it, or replace the whole shock absorber...
oh so front is struts and rear shocks??, girl learning here, sorry

the one in the red circle is the one i mean
Old Oct 25, 2016, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, you need to buy a whole new shock. unless you had a shop fabricate a urethane bushing, then melted or cut the old one out and press the new one in etc. far too much cost and time, when you could replace it for less...have you tried just spraying some grease in it?
The following users liked this post:
androsk (Oct 25, 2016)
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:44 AM

thanks for your answer, yes i tried with some white lithium grease and did nothing apparently, so an ebay set of shocks from will do it, or should i avoid them, i saw a pair from like under $60
Old Oct 25, 2016, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by androsk
thanks for your answer, yes i tried with some white lithium grease and did nothing apparently, so an ebay set of shocks from will do it, or should i avoid them, i saw a pair from like under $60
lithium grease is great for a lot of things, but it doesn't migrate well, and i'm not sure it's safe for bushings, you might have better luck with a liquid lubricant, like an aerosol lubricant. If you're going to buy shocks I would not use anything but KYB or Monroe myself, they're not too terribly expensive, but I would try the liquid first, because if the shocks are not leaking, they're still good. just remember anything petroleum based will deteriorate rubber. silicone based is safe to use on rubber. use the little red straw and do your best to "inject" the lubricant.

also how sure are you it's that bushing that's squeaking? there are a ****load of bushings back there...my last rear end squeak was the sway bar bushing closest to the exhaust.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Oct 25, 2016 at 09:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
androsk (Oct 25, 2016)
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
lithium grease is great for a lot of things, but it doesn't migrate well, and i'm not sure it's safe for bushings, you might have better luck with a liquid lubricant, like an aerosol lubricant. If you're going to buy shocks I would not use anything but KYB or Monroe myself, they're not too terribly expensive, but I would try the liquid first, because if the shocks are not leaking, they're still good. just remember anything petroleum based will deteriorate rubber. silicone based is safe to use on rubber. use the little red straw and do your best to "inject" the lubricant.

also how sure are you it's that bushing that's squeaking? there are a ****load of bushings back there...my last rear end squeak was the sway bar bushing closest to the exhaust.
oh ok, i see, then will try that first, take the wheel apart and lubricate with something more liquid, the shock feel stiff tho, and i seem they do their job fine, they dont feel bouncy on daily drive either.

thank for your time CrAnSwIcK, i will post any update.