Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

TPMS replacement - input needed

Old Nov 21, 2016, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS replacement - input needed

I have read through the threads on TPMS and haven't found a clear answer to my particular situation, so am creating this thread in hopes to find one. Mods, please move/add to a different thread if more appropriate.

One of the TPMS sensors on my 2010 Lancer Sportback GTS was triggering the "TPMS service required" warning, so I had the sensor replaced but the shop I use was unable to get the car into the relearn mode to find and accept the new sensor. Took it to dealer and they could not get it to work, though they said it was the sensor which was unresponsive. The dealer quoted me $460 to replace sensor with a Mitsubishi one, to which I of course said no. I was still charged $78 for their attempt and have about 60 days left to try again with no charge should I find another solution.

I did reach out to the fellow selling the cloned sensors on this forum about a month ago but have not gotten a response. I also no longer have the original damaged sensor, and I have not been successful in getting the original sensor information/codes from Mitsubishi or my dealer.

I have heard that some aftermarket sensors need to first be reprogrammed (something only the dealer can do) then relearned (which I heard any shop can do) but as I am not a tech or mechanic, I don't know if that is true or just clever marketing.

Here's what I need some help with:
1. Is there truth to there being a difference between reprogram and relearn? If so, would it be more likely for a used Mitsubishi sensor to work than a new aftermarket sensor because it is already programmed?
2. Is it likely the dealer will be able to make an aftermarket sensor work? If so, are there brands of sensor that I should try to work with to insure compatibility?

We only have one Mitsubishi dealer in Hawaii which is problematic (e.g. the quoted prices above), but that also makes it hard to get parts sent out here as some vendors do not ship to Hawaii, and some will, but the shipping is often more than the cost of the item.

I'm at a loss for what to do. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 07:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I have had a TPMS replaced by the dealer and they programmed it (~$200).

It must be programmed by a dealer/MUT III system. My local tire shop could not program them (but can just about any other car).

There was no 're-learning' involved.

I think you need to bite the bullet and let the dealership change this one and program it. Bringing another sensor to the dealer for programming lets them off the hook if it doesn't work...

SRY.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 01:21 PM

Thanks for the help - it does confirm much of what I've read and explains why the tire shop could not get the vehicle ECU into the relearn/reprogram mode.

I was able to source an OE sensor at a local vendor (they had it shipped in for a nominal cost) and am planning to take that to the dealer to be reprogrammed. I'll be sure to update this thread with everything that has happened once it all gets resolved.

I do have one more question - can the new sensor be reprogrammed by the dealer before it is mounted? Logically, I would think it's possible but am not sure if the sensor needs to be in rotation or have actual input data from the tire pressure to allow it to be read by the ECU.

Interestingly, the dealership has differing opinions on this - the parts department says it must be mounted, the service department says it does not need to be. However, neither of these people I spoke to has or will actually be working on the car, so I can't be sure either knows with certainty. Ideally, I would like to be able to know it works before mounting so I can return the sensor if it doesn't work, but if it must be done the other way around, it would save the extra trip and headaches if I knew that beforehand. I've been asking everyone I know who owns a Mitsu or might have experience, and the general consensus is that "it should," but no one really knows for sure.

By the way, I checked with the parts department on how much a sensor costs - I was quoted $184 per sensor. This does not include anything else but the sensor itself.

Anyhow, to be continued, unfortunately...
Old Dec 6, 2016, 12:56 PM

Solution Found

As promised, I am providing an update for a solution that I can verify did work for me.

Providing a couple of things:
- Mitsu Tech Service bulletin. Has part numbers and pictures to help identify what each sensor looks like. In the Lancer section, you will notice that there are three different part numbers for three different sensors, based on when your vehicle was manufactured. The manufacture date of my GTS is 7/09, which should mean part #4250A225. However, notes say that any with alloy wheels can be replaced with sensor part #4250B975, and that is the part number I used when searching for replacements.

- pics of the sensor I bought: VDO SE57772AZ, not the Redi-sensor "version." Supposedly, Redi-sensor comes pre-programmed and should allow anyone with relearn tools to get it to work - however, since the tire shop's issue was getting the car ECU into relearn/reprogram mode (which I believe you can only do with a MUT III tool), I have a feeling if you do purchase the Redi-sensor, you would still need to take it to the dealer. The Service bulletin does make mention of other tools but I don't know enough about that stuff to tell you otherwise. In any event, I found this sensor in stock at a local Autozone for about $50.

Took sensor to tire shop and had them install sensor (dealer said sensor needs to be installed for it to be reprogrammed) but nothing else. Then took it to dealer, and they were able to get the sensor to work. Warning light is finally gone and my display now looks strangely plain.

Hope this can help if you find yourself in a similar situation; am glad to finally end this 4 month episode. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails TPMS replacement - input needed-img_1522.jpg   TPMS replacement - input needed-img_1523.jpg   TPMS replacement - input needed-img_1524.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by wagonman; Dec 6, 2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Good to know!

Although not applicable to your situation, if the stem cracks and leaks - there are kits to just replace the stem (and keep the 'guts/programmed') so you only pay ~$20 to have a tire shop do a quick repair....)
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Run to your local Discount Tire. They can replace the sensors and program them to a mitsu car for $60 each. Have had them on one of my cars as well as a friends car running fine.