Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2005, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Fluid

Does anyone know where I can get transmission fluid for a 2003 ES with an automatic? I know it is Diamond ATF SPIII, but my local dealer tells me it's $8 a quart, and only they ( dealers) sell it.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sandman43103
Does anyone know where I can get transmission fluid for a 2003 ES with an automatic? I know it is Diamond ATF SPIII, but my local dealer tells me it's $8 a quart, and only they ( dealers) sell it.
they should fill up ur car for you for free if you go there for a service maintenance, like rotating tires. my dealer filled up all fluids and put in new brake pads for free when i had him do tire alginment for only $50.

mike
Old Feb 16, 2005, 05:59 PM

I would like to drain and refill my transmission. My usual mechanic told me it's going bad, and I have 34000 miles on the car.
Old Feb 16, 2005, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

I would like to drain and refill my transmission. My usual mechanic told me it's going bad, and I have 34000 miles on the car.
instead of going to your "usual" mechanic. go to your dealership maintenance, they will do all of it for free since you should still be under warranty.

mike
Old Feb 17, 2005, 10:22 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, since your transmission is the thing that moves the car, why be a cheapass?

Have it professionally drained/filled. You'll thank yourself when the tranny is still alive in a few years.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 11:45 AM

My local Mitsubishi dealer (El Cajon ) quoted me at $189.99 for the service, and made no mention of it being free even though the car is still under warranty. I'm not a cheapass in any sense when it comes to my cars, but rather I enjoy performing maintenance on my Lancer now that it's paid off.
Old Feb 17, 2005, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

My local Mitsubishi dealer (El Cajon ) quoted me at $189.99 for the service, and made no mention of it being free even though the car is still under warranty. I'm not a cheapass in any sense when it comes to my cars, but rather I enjoy performing maintenance on my Lancer now that it's paid off.
try a different dealer. tell them to do a service check up on everything including transmission since you are still under warranty.

mike
Old Feb 18, 2005, 06:58 AM

I went in to the dealer last night and found out that my tranny fluid looks "almost brand new", and definately would not need changing. The main reason I started looking into changing the fluid is that my car used to shift around 3000 RPMs on normal driving, but now holds shifts up to 4000...with easy throttle. The only change I made was I installed Bosch Platinum 2 spark plugs January 22nd, and the tranny started "acting up" this past weekend. Is it possible to electronically "reset" the shift points for the car?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

I went in to the dealer last night and found out that my tranny fluid looks "almost brand new", and definately would not need changing. The main reason I started looking into changing the fluid is that my car used to shift around 3000 RPMs on normal driving, but now holds shifts up to 4000...with easy throttle. The only change I made was I installed Bosch Platinum 2 spark plugs January 22nd, and the tranny started "acting up" this past weekend. Is it possible to electronically "reset" the shift points for the car?
i m not sure about that. maybe ask your dealer more about that?
Old Feb 18, 2005, 10:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry. I wasn't trying to be a dick. I thought you were complaining about the $8/quart thing.

Yeah, the whole flush is going to be costly, and damn sure won't be under warranty.

I would think they could reset the shift points, but I'm sure will charge a hefty fee.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bosch plugs in mitsu's suck... stick with stock replacements, ngk's or similar.... that might actually fix your shifting problem...
Old Jan 17, 2007, 05:30 AM

Is there an alternative that he might add? Redline sythetic maybe?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

It has been proven that the Diamond ATF III IS! the best for our autos. I'll be doing a tranny drain and refill this weekend if it doesn't snow... BTW, I went to the service counter and told the nice younger guy there that last time I was in another guy said each quart was $2.99 . It was the truth actually, I had thought that was the going rate. Anyhow, he didn't know who it was, but gave me 7 quarts at their cost... $4.xx times 7 + a silver paint touchup pen = $43.xx. Looks like he gave me a deal !
Old Jan 17, 2007, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

if you're just doing a drain and fill you probably won't need seven quarts. if you are doing a full flush you might need those kinds of quantities, but for a drain and fill you should need MAYBE 3.5 quarts.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

That's what I was told, but he said closer to 5 qts...

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid