Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Tranny Swap?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2007, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranny Swap?

I own an automatic 02 Lancer es. Is there any way i can replace my transmition with a manual?
Old Mar 24, 2007, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes...check with your local tuner/custom shops... I'll try and get a part list for you from my friend that did it to his OZ...$2700 for a nice clean swap
Old Mar 25, 2007, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

$2000 for my set-up. parts+installation. 40,000 on the motor.
Old Mar 25, 2007, 06:58 PM
Evolving Member

^ was it worth it? & does it run as if it were never an AT?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't do it, unless you have thousands and thousand into your car. It has been said, and done before.

If your Lancer is almost stock, I would just sell it, and get a 5spd
Old Mar 26, 2007, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

sawulkn's car ran like it was always that way... I would do the swap to my own car b/c i know how ive treated the car but not how someone else has treated theirs...
Old Mar 26, 2007, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Well yeah. Most Lancers are getting pretty high mileage, so if you have owned it from almost new, I would consider the swap just because of what ThunderOZRacer said.

But if you just bought it, I would of looked for a 5spd. I know some 5spd Lancers are hard to find, but just wait and be patient.

My Lancer was Auto, but it was still a blast to drive. Now I have a 5spd, and I get bored of shifting sometimes. Specially when I'm off work, and tired.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

I have no regrets. Love it. It will run good as long it is installed properly. My mechanic does the swap on daily basis.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

I did the swap as well on a galant though and absolutly no regrets. Best this i ever did for my car
Old Mar 26, 2007, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

I'll do it if I don't decide to get another car...I've had my car since mile 3...
Old Mar 27, 2007, 03:51 AM

I always heard 5 speeds are quicker to accelerate than automatics, thats why i want to swap.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoDimension
I always heard 5 speeds are quicker to accelerate than automatics, thats why i want to swap.
It won't be that much quicker.
You'll benefit from a manual tranny because you'll be able to manage the momentum as you whish, and you'll be able to balance/off-balance the car at will. Things that are harder to do with auto.

If your only reason is acceleration... forget the swap and invest in a turbo kit. An auto tranny might keep you in boost better than a manual one.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
It won't be that much quicker.
You'll benefit from a manual tranny because you'll be able to manage the momentum as you whish, and you'll be able to balance/off-balance the car at will. Things that are harder to do with auto.

If your only reason is acceleration... forget the swap and invest in a turbo kit. An auto tranny might keep you in boost better than a manual one.
Have you ever raced another lancer with a good driver that has a manual if you have an auto?
Old Mar 27, 2007, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThunderOZRacer
Have you ever raced another lancer with a good driver that has a manual if you have an auto?
I don't quite understand your question.
Are you talking 1/4 mile, or circuit?

Circuit racing isn't all about acceleration. Circuit racing is about carying your momentum around which is more achievable with a manual transmission since you can stay in your preferred gear as long as you want to.

With a manual tranny, you might decide to turn-in in 2nd gear 4000rpm to get the most speed when you track out.
With an auto, you might decide to turn-in in 2nd gear, but the ecu might throw you in 3rd before you reach the apex and will need to kick down to track out.
With a manual tranny you can use the clutch to shift the weight of the car back and forth to create and or control over/under-steer.
Shift points in circuit racing change from corner to corner.

In 1/4 mile races, shift point are always at peek power. Having the ecu shift for you ensure you always shift at the right time. A very good driver will always be around the perfect shift point but won't be as perfect as a computer. Hence why auto shows benefits in a 1/4 mile race.
In 1/4 mile race, an auto transmission rules out most of the driver errors since all you have to do is throttle management.

Your goals, intentions and driving style determine which tranny setup you should go for.

Last edited by blaze_125; Mar 27, 2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blaze_125
I don't quite understand your question.
Are you talking 1/4 mile, or circuit?

Circuit racing isn't all about acceleration. Circuit racing is about carying your momentum around which is more achievable with a manual transmission since you can stay in your preferred gear as long as you want to.

With a manual tranny, you might decide to turn-in in 2nd gear 4000rpm to get the most speed when you track out.
With an auto, you might decide to turn-in in 2nd gear, but the ecu might throw you in 3rd before you reach the apex and will need to kick down to track out.
With a manual tranny you can use the clutch to shift the weight of the car back and forth to create and or control over/under-steer.
Shift points in circuit racing change from corner to corner.

In 1/4 mile races, shift point are always at peek power. Having the ecu shift for you ensure you always shift at the right time. A very good driver will always be around the perfect shift point but won't be as perfect as a computer. Hence why auto shows benefits in a 1/4 mile race.
In 1/4 mile race, an auto transmission rules out most of the driver errors since all you have to do is throttle management.

Your goals, intentions and driving style determine which tranny setup you should go for.
I was speaking in general terms of acceleration. (Not talking about breaking laws or anything). Like from a rolling start to the speed limit or even at the drag strip... I've found that auto's are just better when you get to high horses

Quick Reply: Tranny Swap?