Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.
View Poll Results: Are you happy with the CVT performance?
Yes it does everything i need it to!
14.29%
Yes, but it falls down in some or a few areas?
38.46%
No, its too soft or lacks power
14.29%
I should have gotten a 5speed!
32.97%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

* Did Mitsubishi Get the CVT Right?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 06:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
* Did Mitsubishi Get the CVT Right?

There has been an interesting few threads posted here and there on evolutionm.net speaking about throttle response. I wanted to hear from other CVT owners, on there feedback about this transmission. Do you love it, do you hate it? What is missing, if anything? And how do you think Mitsubishi could improve it? By design the CVT is gear towards matching driver input with a fuel economy driving solution. It selects the proper gear ratios and attempts to deliver the power you demand.

Please keep this thread on topic, we are not going to talk about aftermarket products of any kind, this is just an evaluation of a Lancer with a CVT. Thats it, dont take this off topic about anything else.

I will give you an example of what my feedback has been with the stock CVT. Does it provide for a smooth drive, sure. As defined by Mitsubishi themselves in the development of this system

"INVECS-III CVT achieves low fuel consumption and a smooth ride
INVECS = Intelligent & Innovative Vehicle Electronic Control System
CVT = Continuously Variable Transmission
INVECS-III is an advanced system that automatically selects the optimal gear ratio based on road and driving conditions ("optimal control"), and utilizes "learning control" to match the particular driver's driving style. In addition, a CVT that brings out the efficiency from the engine performance is provided. Like a conventional automatic transmission, there is no jolt when shifting gears and every time the accelerator is applied there is enjoyable, smooth acceleration.
Furthermore , a torque converter enables creep forward driving (slight deceleration) when the accelerator is not applied and hillstarts are made fun.

The Continuously Variable Transmission makes for optimal driving pleasure by downsizing the pulley piston, reducing the oil pump discharge rate, and controlling direct torque control. All of this results in efficient engine output, offering drivers an exceptionally smooth ride. Based on driver demand as measured by accelerator travel information, optimal efficiency is achieved between the engine and CVT according to the motive forces experienced under driving circumstances. Supple acceleration and smooth driving feel are realized in all kinds of conditions while also improving fuel economy."

I personally think its a noble goal and from a fuel economy point there is success here. but unfortunately, I feel that the fuel economy priority seems to be too strong. I can press and press and press a little more and never get the right amount of power I am seeking.

One thing on my wish list is if they put in a power switch that would change the profile of the CVT to provide better performance. Some say use the paddle shifters. True but even though I think the shifters work great, I think they are ok at best. And instead of droping into a long story I will keep the points simple

*. too many gears, 5 gears would have been better with D mode as an overdrive gear.
*. when you use the paddle shifter while driving, it doesnt seem to drop you in the right RPM level. I switch it on and I have to paddle down 2 times at least to find the right level of power.

What do are your experiences?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

I have similar experiences with the paddle shifters, that and the short 1-2 sec "bog down" when accelerating hard (0-2k rpm) are probably the only main problems I have with the cvt. if paddle shifters are used to accelerate from 0-2k rpm there is much less of a bog down but I would prefer it to be as close to nothing. Although the cvt does sap some of the performance my fuel economy has been rather good even with some periods of spirited driving. It would be nice to be able to change the profile of the cvt with something like an OD switch or anything that would forget about fuel economy but deliver maximum performance.

edit: I just saw your poll, If i didnt have to drive 50+ miles a day ,80% of which is in stop and go traffic a 5 speed would have been the best decision. I find myself wanting one but know once I have one I will miss the CVT.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

If you want performance from a CVT, buy an A4.

It's a Lancer - the best it's ever going to be is average.

My personal experience with the CVT has been great because I knew what I was walking into when I bought it.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 09:25 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its not a bad transmission but i kind of wish i would have got the 5 speed..if it worked more like an automatic transmission, where i could just control the gears i would be fine. because in an automatic car you can take off quick and everything. i guess my main problem with the CVT is the low end power less or bog..so i dunno
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

people complain so much about manual transmissions, they make themselves look stupid. not saying any of you are doing that, because you arent, but people all the time say "oh stop and go traffic is horrible with a manual because clutch in, clutch out, clutch in, etc...so annoying!" or "gas mileage is so much worse", "takeoffs are so much slower and harder!" well really, manual is so much better. yes, you always have to work the clutch in stop and go traffic, but how often is everyone in stop and go traffic? "oh on my way to work and home" wow so all you buy a car for is to drive to work?? come on i think the regular driving time heavily outweighs the stop and go traffic time. and gas mileage? yes, the CVT can shift for you as you drive slow to try and save gas but you can do the same with a manual! just shift at lower RPMs! also, in hilly areas, you can just take it out of gear and coast down hills to save a lot of gas. some people say this is highly illegal, but how will the cop know you were out of gear??? if he pulls you over, pop it back in gear and youre good. and on the other side, launching, can be achieved with just a clutch upgrade, then you have all the fun of controlling when you shift when you race. "oh clutches are soo expensive!" well typically, an automatic car costs 2000 - 3000 more dollars than a manual car, AND autos are so much more expensive to fix, AND are much more complicated with all the electronics and whatnot.

what im saying is mitsubishi did not mess up with the automatic transmission, or CVT, or w/e you want to call it, simply, automatic transmissions are not made for speed or performance or anything like that. why do you think companies always come out with performance parts for manual trannys first?? in OPs post, mitsubishi said it achieves good gas mileage and a smooth ride......exactly what it was designed for.

thats just my opinion. and btw, yes i drive a manual

Last edited by yitzac1990; Apr 5, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
yes, you always have to work the clutch in stop and go traffic, but how often is everyone in stop and go traffic? "oh on my way to work and home" wow so all you buy a car for is to drive to work?? come on i think the regular driving time heavily outweighs the stop and go traffic time. and gas mileage?
uh... stop and go traffic out weight regular driving time by a whole lot when you consider stuck in traffic about 1 - 1 1/2 hours each way 5 days a week in major city such as Boston, Los Angeles and etc.

I live outside of Boston, my school is right in the center of Boston and I need to commute to school everyday when I was in college, I know how it is likes. It's definitely not fun please don't misjudge the horror of daily commute.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

I think they did a great job with making the CVT fuel-friendly. However, I think the GTS version should have a different set of ratios and concentrate less on fuel economy, especially when in sport mode. Maybe even get rid of the algorithm that makes the ride comfortable but robs horse power (only when in Sport mode using the gear selector thing). And I do agree about the lack of power when switching into sport mode with the paddle shifters. I usually downshift 2-3 times until it beeps just to get in the right rpm range.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by beyonddc
uh... stop and go traffic out weight regular driving time by a whole lot when you consider stuck in traffic about 1 - 1 1/2 hours each way 5 days a week in major city such as Boston, Los Angeles and etc.
ok so instead of work, all you do with your car is drive to school? thats about 2 - 3 hours in stop and go traffic per day. youre saying you dont drive your car for fun, or go places with friends, or anything of the sort? at my school parking is hard to find, so i drive my car maybe once a week to go get groceries for my dorm. i have a manual transmission. why? because when i do go to the track, or go home some weekends, or just drive my car around town, i like to actually enjoy my car and how it drives.
Old Apr 5, 2009, 09:43 PM

I have the CVT tranny i just wish they would come out with something to reprogram the system to be more responsive like a manual transmission.
Old Apr 6, 2009, 05:21 PM

Bad gas milleage

Why does everybody say that our CVT Lancers have good gas mileage? All the 2.0L automatic or manual NA cars I know have better gas mileage than Mitsu Lancer. I mean come on, even a sorry 2.2L Cobalt gets better gas milleage.

Really, the ONLY advantage in our CVT Lancers is a smoother ride. A lot of disadvantages though: no low end lorque, bad throttle response, impossible to redline, not to mention impossible to break the wheels loose unless you're on ice or gravel .... and so on...
my $0.02

Last edited by master.axu; Apr 6, 2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:46 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by master.axu
Why does everybody say that our CVT Lancers have good gas mileage? All the 2.0L automatic or manual NA cars I know have better gas mileage than Mitsu Lancer. I mean come on, even a sorry 2.2L Cobalt gets better gas milleage.

Really, the ONLY advantage in our CVT Lancers is a smoother ride. A lot of disadvantages though: no low end lorque, bad throttle response, impossible to redline, not to mention impossible to break the wheels loose unless you're on ice or gravel .... and so on...
my $0.02
30mpg on the highway is good gas mileage..if you get significantly lower than that..then you have bad driving habbits.

on long road trips i drive 80 and get about 30mpg..im sure i could get 35 if i actually went the speed limit.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LuDa
30mpg on the highway is good gas mileage..if you get significantly lower than that..then you have bad driving habbits.

on long road trips i drive 80 and get about 30mpg..im sure i could get 35 if i actually went the speed limit.

I got 33.5 (calculated not based on the on dash display) when driving 65mph from san antonio to lubbock. 2 passengers 2 bags each.

with k&n drop in on an 08 es
Old Apr 7, 2009, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by master.axu

my $0.02
i can redline my cvt in sports mode. i dont know how some of you say you cant
Old Apr 7, 2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by LuDa

I really don't want to hijack this thread to mpg related issues.

Yes I usually get 30-31 mpg on highway, sometimes more but let's take a look at Nissan Altima 2.5L CVT 175HP, 31mpg hwy (EPA '08, so you'll probably get 34-35mpg if your try) ... no comment. Yes, I know it's a bit more expensive and it can't beat the sexyness of our Lancers, but the point I am trying to make is that the CVT on our Lancers is far from performant, mpg or performance wise.

I still think the main thing with our CVT is the smothness that also comes with too many downsides (I forgot to mention bad engine noise in the most used rpm band 2500-3000). I know we're all trying to make ourselves feel better about our acquisitions but let's try to see the true facts.

And to answer the thread question: No, I don't think got the CVT right...
Old Apr 9, 2009, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

I like the CVT, only wish that 1st "gear" was shorter so it was quicker off the line. With 6 "gears" I shouldn't be able to go 45 mph in 1st.

It is fun to have on a windy road.

Quick Reply: * Did Mitsubishi Get the CVT Right?