Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Advice and Opinions are welcomed. Please read...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Advice and Opinions are welcomed. Please read...

I owned my Lancer 2008 GTS for two years now. Recently, for about 3 weeks, the gears have been slipping when I press on the gas pedal excessively after full release of the clutch. I brought in my car to get an oil change and serviced by Mitsubishi. I asked them to take a look into the clutch because of the slipping.

I live in Chicago, IL and I drove about an hour just to get to the dealership. When I was driving there, the car was completely managable in getting to place. The next day, I went to pick up my car from the dealership. As I walk by, there is a strong smell of the clutch burning. I turned on the car and attempted to drive the vehicle. The clutch and the gears are completely not gripping. I could barely move the car on gear one with excessive slipping.

Before I left the car off the shop, gear one was gripping fine on the clutch. I could even torque second gear without any slipping. When I shift onto the 3rd to fifth gear, excessive gasing causes the gears to slip, but I always refrained myself from abusing the slipping.

Here are my questions:
How long does a clutch last after the first signs of slipping gears (3rd - 5th)?
Will Mitsu customer service purposely abuse the clutch to have the car repaired by them with a price quote of $2100?

I am looking into buying after market clutches and getting it installed by a local auto shop. I have looked into Works, RRM, Speed Corp (Specs). What would you recommend for a daily driver who commutes to school and home, stage 1 ? 2 or 3? Also, Do I also need to change the flywheel? I am also looking into upgrading into something lighter like fidanza.

Can someone estimate me a price for labor? I'm planning to spend 600 - 800 for parts and less than 700 for labor.

Should I try to open a case with Mitsubishi? I have a gut feeling that they abused my tranny.

Thank you for reading and replying.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

it sounds like they abused ur car on this one. u should def try to get them to cover all labor costs at a minimum since the car was drivable when you brought it. as for the cost, i know that a fd car is ~1300 just for the labor plus the parts. if u have them do the work u can def give them an upgraded clutch to install and you shouldn't need a new flywheel unless u want to upgrade it.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

1. Def mitsu fault, especially if you have no mods that would void a transmission warranty. in that case, make a scene and make them repait it completely for free.

2. if you DO get a new clutch, since its just for daily driving and such, id say stick with stock and have Mitsu do all the repairs, OR just get a stage 1 clutch. BUT, dont get Clutchmasters or Spec, Ive heard a lot of bad things about them, even from strangers met at the race track, they agree that clutchmasters and Spec are absolute garbage.

Call ACT, (661) 940-7555, and ask for Dean. let him know you want a clutch, and if you mention that you know a guy named Cory with an 08 lancer with a turbo that was looking for a clutch a few weeks ago, he will probably know who I am, and can get you started from there on what clutch packages they have that will fit the car for just daily driving and light driving and such. Then, take those part numbers and message, on here, Big Valley.....they have excellent prices. Also, should cost about 350-450 dollars for labor for installation. I got my stage 3 clutch kit for $410, including alignment tool and new release bearing.

good luck!

but overall, id say go to mitsu first and make them do it for free!

Last edited by yitzac1990; Sep 19, 2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

what *******s, they **** up your car, then tell you it's $2100 to fix it?! Tell them **** YOU, and that they are paying for it.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

good luck man - it might be tough to get them to cover a toasted clutch that you asked them to inspect in the first place because you knew it was shot....
Old Sep 20, 2009, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

I am considering legal actions towards Mitsubishi.

where should I start?

I believe I have to warn mitsubishi that they have to do something for my clutch because I left the car at the shop with drivable conditions. After receiving the car back the next day, I could not even drive a block away from the dealership. If they refuse to do anything about my clutch, my next step would be to notify the dealership that I am going to pursue legal action if they do not wish to fix my car. That is all I have down right now.

Can anyone else offer me some more advice?
Old Sep 21, 2009, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is a win less fight. They will not cover it and legal action will end up being a loss in the end for you anyways.

If I were you, I would find a local performance shop and have them install it for you. I see you are from chicago, there are many very reputable shops in your area that will do the job for much less than 2100. Call ACT ask for stage 1 unless you are making a lot of power and go from there.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ashun22panda
I owned my Lancer 2008 GTS for two years now. Recently, for about 3 weeks, the gears have been slipping when I press on the gas pedal excessively after full release of the clutch. I brought in my car to get an oil change and serviced by Mitsubishi. I asked them to take a look into the clutch because of the slipping.

I live in Chicago, IL and I drove about an hour just to get to the dealership. When I was driving there, the car was completely managable in getting to place. The next day, I went to pick up my car from the dealership. As I walk by, there is a strong smell of the clutch burning. I turned on the car and attempted to drive the vehicle. The clutch and the gears are completely not gripping. I could barely move the car on gear one with excessive slipping.

Before I left the car off the shop, gear one was gripping fine on the clutch. I could even torque second gear without any slipping. When I shift onto the 3rd to fifth gear, excessive gasing causes the gears to slip, but I always refrained myself from abusing the slipping.

Here are my questions:
How long does a clutch last after the first signs of slipping gears (3rd - 5th)?
Will Mitsu customer service purposely abuse the clutch to have the car repaired by them with a price quote of $2100?

I am looking into buying after market clutches and getting it installed by a local auto shop. I have looked into Works, RRM, Speed Corp (Specs). What would you recommend for a daily driver who commutes to school and home, stage 1 ? 2 or 3? Also, Do I also need to change the flywheel? I am also looking into upgrading into something lighter like fidanza.

Can someone estimate me a price for labor? I'm planning to spend 600 - 800 for parts and less than 700 for labor.

Should I try to open a case with Mitsubishi? I have a gut feeling that they abused my tranny.

Thank you for reading and replying.
How many miles do you have on your lancer?
Does your car have a problem decreasing the engine revolutions when you shift? I'm referring to a problem which makes the engine rpm fall very slowly when you let of the gass and push the clutch.
My car has always had that problem and I think that it contributes to a faster rate of clutch wear.

Also about your problem, i think that it's very possible that they abused your car "trying to reproduce the problem". On the other hand I don't think that you will have a chance to get the warranty to cover it.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
1. Def mitsu fault, especially if you have no mods that would void a transmission warranty. in that case, make a scene and make them repait it completely for free.

2. if you DO get a new clutch, since its just for daily driving and such, id say stick with stock and have Mitsu do all the repairs, OR just get a stage 1 clutch. BUT, dont get Clutchmasters or Spec, Ive heard a lot of bad things about them, even from strangers met at the race track, they agree that clutchmasters and Spec are absolute garbage.

Call ACT, (661) 940-7555, and ask for Dean. let him know you want a clutch, and if you mention that you know a guy named Cory with an 08 lancer with a turbo that was looking for a clutch a few weeks ago, he will probably know who I am, and can get you started from there on what clutch packages they have that will fit the car for just daily driving and light driving and such. Then, take those part numbers and message, on here, Big Valley.....they have excellent prices. Also, should cost about 350-450 dollars for labor for installation. I got my stage 3 clutch kit for $410, including alignment tool and new release bearing.

good luck!

but overall, id say go to mitsu first and make them do it for free!
I do not have a turbo in my lancer. Will ACT's stage one clutch still be right for me? It seems like Dean is a little confused as to where to get the clutches. He claims they are from RRM. Do you have more information you can provide for me
Old Sep 23, 2009, 04:53 AM
Evolved Member

stage one clutch will have a sportier grab than stock but is not made for turbo. Stage 1 is made for stock to slightly modified (exhaust, intake kind of thing).

If you really want, call ACT. They will give you more info than you will find here.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

I do not have a turbo in my lancer. Will ACT's stage one clutch still be right for me? It seems like Dean is a little confused as to where to get the clutches. He claims they are from RRM. Do you have more information you can provide for me
really? he helped me out a LOT, it just took about a week because they never actually found what clutch will fit a 2008 lancer, so I guess when i called them, it was his own little special project lol...what exactly did he say? i told him RRM had soem clutches for the 08s, and he looked at them and said yeah those plates and disks look familiar, let me tell the R&D department and see what they think...I guess tryh im again, because I know hes familiar with at least the clutch that I got. my disk is a 6224204 and pressure plate is MB020. see if he can cross reference those to find a disk and pressure plate for a stage 1 setup.

Last edited by yitzac1990; Sep 23, 2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by yitzac1990
really? he helped me out a LOT, it just took about a week because they never actually found what clutch will fit a 2008 lancer, so I guess when i called them, it was his own little special project lol...what exactly did he say? i told him RRM had soem clutches for the 08s, and he looked at them and said yeah those plates and disks look familiar, let me tell the R&D department and see what they think...I guess tryh im again, because I know hes familiar with at least the clutch that I got. my disk is a 6224204 and pressure plate is MB020. see if he can cross reference those to find a disk and pressure plate for a stage 1 setup.
Thank you, I will look into it.

He said he did not have an exact clutch package that matches the 2008 lancer. He needs more time and information. Thank you so much for your help. Will those model numbers fit a 2008 Lancer GTS non turbo for daily driving and commute?
Old Sep 23, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you, I will look into it.

He said he did not have an exact clutch package that matches the 2008 lancer. He needs more time and information. Thank you so much for your help. Will those model numbers fit a 2008 Lancer GTS non turbo for daily driving and commute?
Yeah they will fit fine but i only got that because im turboed...you would be looking for something lighter for just daily driving and stuff.