Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Cvt oil!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cvt oil!

Well I have been trying to get original CVTF-J1 here in Egypt with no success, cant even find it in Europe, the dont use the 4b11, they use the diesel. Anyways with some cross referencing with JATCO(they make our CVT) I came to the conclusion that the Outlander and X-trail have the same transmission. The Outlander uses CVTF-J1 so I got the X-trail oil which is Nissan NS-2 and took the dive and changed the oil. I am keeping my fingers crossed. One other thing Nissan owns Jatco.
Old Oct 25, 2009, 05:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use Eneos CVT fluid, it is compatible . Someone can export it to you for sure .
Old Oct 27, 2009, 06:35 AM

Thanks Evo_Soul, the Nissan stuff didnt work. I got stuck in traffic for about a half hour and the transmission light came on. I guess nissan uses a different oil than mitsubishi, even though they are the same transmission.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:11 AM
Former Sponsor

Thats really strange, cause the Nippon Oil is rated for our Mitsubishi Tranny, Nippon Oil aka Eneos is actually owned by Mitsubishi Chemical (Japan).

what is the transmission code your getting.

Remember. If you have the wrong fluid in their from the start it will trigger a code cause the damage that can be caused is permanent. Find out the code number using a scan tool and let me know.

Cheers
Old Oct 29, 2009, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Read here
http://www.eneos.us/product/7
Old Oct 29, 2009, 04:38 PM

I forgot to mention that after I parked the car for an hour. The tranny light went away and did not come back on, but to be safe, after driving home I drained the oil and put back the old oil( I had saved it) and it has been fine since. I will try and get the code in about a week when I goto a friends who has a scan. I have also emailed about everyone in the world and no one ships fluids international. I like the CVT, but if I cannot get any oil soon I will have to start thinking about a manual conversion. One other thing Eneos states that there oil is ATF SPIII compatible, but they don't mention CVTF J1, I don't know if that makes a difference.

Last edited by ziftawi; Oct 29, 2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 06:34 AM
Former Sponsor

INVECS-III Sports Mode 6-CVT ATF-SP III

Should be the same, because I checked mitsubishi doesnt run any other variants of the Jatco CVT. their CVT is the same as the one in the Dodge Caliber and very similar to the ones produced in most of the CVT Nissan line up.

If your still confused, Mitsubishi Motors Japan will answer your question, just provide them a part number and they can confirm for you if it is safe to use the Nippon Oil. I know of someone who may ship it to you so once you get confirmation just PM me and I will help you find an exporter. mind you, it wont be cheap. but once you get it in there, the fluid is good for like 100,000km +.

cheers
Old Oct 31, 2009, 06:53 AM
Former Sponsor

after searching around, this document should make you feel more safe.

http://www.lubegard.com/pdfs/CVTFlui...ationChart.pdf
Old Nov 1, 2009, 12:08 PM

Really appreciate your help!! Just an update after I put back the original oil, I got caught in bad traffic and the transmission light came on one for about 10 seconds and went away when I started going again, soon as I parked I checked the oil and found that the level was about 5 mm over the hot level and there were some bubbles on the dipstick. Still have not found a code reader, hoping to get it read by Wednesday.

I also got an email back from a friend in Japan who did some searching for me there and this is what he found out. The Lancer in Japan is called Grand Fortis and it has the same transmission as the Nissan Bluebird Sylphy which uses Nissan NS 2 CVT OIL, so I am almost certain that it is ok for our transmission.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 04:17 AM
Evolving Member

go to jiffy lube and tell them you need CVT oil. i got a small discount from them and it was 10 a qt. the price on the qt was 13.00 a qt but i knew the guy anyways. it is auto fluid and it works for CVT for all. and its full synthetic.
Old Nov 30, 2009, 07:11 AM
Former Sponsor

unfortunately, their isnt a Jiffylube in Egypt lol
Old Nov 30, 2009, 06:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
unfortunately, their isnt a Jiffylube in Egypt lol
wow youd think theyd not sell the CVT if its so hard to get fluid there.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
INVECS-III Sports Mode 6-CVT ATF-SP III

Should be the same, because I checked mitsubishi doesnt run any other variants of the Jatco CVT. their CVT is the same as the one in the Dodge Caliber and very similar to the ones produced in most of the CVT Nissan line up.

If your still confused, Mitsubishi Motors Japan will answer your question, just provide them a part number and they can confirm for you if it is safe to use the Nippon Oil. I know of someone who may ship it to you so once you get confirmation just PM me and I will help you find an exporter. mind you, it wont be cheap. but once you get it in there, the fluid is good for like 100,000km +.

cheers
hi Evo_soul, you have mentioned here 100,000km+ for the ATF-SPIII oil change can you please enlighten me as I am confused with all info i got here most people here saying 30K or 60k interval for changing CVT oil then why is it 100,000km is that special oil for CVT as i can see on my lancer GT saying CVTF-J1 required for CVT oil.

many thanks
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Greetings Dohnzky, the CVT is a great transmission. Far more durable than conventional transmissions. In order to understand how it works, you can take the time to read these indepth articles on them.

http://chiptuner.ru/image/cvt/orig.pdf
http://chiptuner.ru/image/cvt/orig2.pdf

That said, to answer your question. The construction of the transmission allows for ultra long change intervals. Because the transmission is submerged in fluid (completely). The fluid will not break down with normal use. If you are towing or in super extreme heat, its wise to change the fluid. But still. Service manuals will state the change interval from 100,000km to 160,000km. Mitsubishi, Dodge, and Nissan all use the same transmission from Jatco.

Your manual book will state for you to use that specific CVT fluid to avoid you using an outdated or out classed fluid. Its very important to use the right CVT fluid type. There are different types of CVT transmissions. So Mitsubishi will be very specific what what fluid to use. Different regions like Mitsubishi UAE, may say to change the fluid more often, because of extreme heat. some may say longer.

Where I live in Canada, they state to change the fluid every 50,000km which is excessive compared to the USA recommended change interval.

Let me know if that helps?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that helps out for me, i wasnt sure when i should change my CVT fluid. i havent since i got my car 2 years ago and i have about 55,000 miles on it. so i guess i should do that before i look into further modding.

not to jack the thread but evosoul you seem to be the only one that knows enough about the CVT to answer my question since nobody else has. im getting evo cams for my lancer and have it tuned like the guys from pueto rico has, but i understand the boosted lancer CVT was having issues running the 190-200whp that the MT lancer was. my question is if all that powe was all motor, would the CVT be able to handle 190-200whp if it was all coming from the motor and not boost? it seems like boost itself is more the issue than the actual power but im not sure. thanks

Quick Reply: Cvt oil!