Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

02 Lancer: Where to buy Used Transmissio, Replacement Clutch Disc, and Slave Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 02 Lancer: Where to buy Used Transmissio, Replacement Clutch Disc, and Slave Cylinder

I figured I'd post this and see what kind of response I got. I know most likely I'll have to find a replacement transmission local but if anyone has recommendations I'd love to hear them.

I purchased a car that the owner previously replaced the clutch, flywheel, pressure plate but didn't replace either the slave cylinder or input shaft bearing.

My transmission made a noise unless I pressed the clutch down.

I tried to have someone look at it previously but it would require a lot of work to break in a they told me the clutch felt fine.

Well, my rear main seal decided to go out on my and leak oil all over the place.

Great news is, a rear main seal only cost about $10-$15, but of course the bad news is the labor calls for around 7.5 hours (Yikes!)

I've got a buddy helping me out (only charging $25/hr) to pull it apart to replace and check the clutch (as it began to slip due to the oil soaking the disc).

He pulled it apart and said my clutch disc is ruined and needs to be replaced, and he said I need to get a throw-out bearing/slave cylinder as well. I've looked them up but I wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations.

So far, the best deals I came across is $48 - clutch disc (which seams like a good deal) and $56 -slave cylinder (which also seems good).

I found a transmission in good shape for $400 cash near by but the only thing wrong with the transmission is the input shaft bearing needs to be replaced. Is this something I should consider just replacing or pay $400 for the full trans?

Thank you all for your thoughts and comments! This is a major pain in the A$$!
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Normally if your trans makes noise but stops when the clutch is pushed in means the throwout bearing is bad. Your throwout bearing and slave cylinder are one in the same. Unless you have other symptoms your not telling us then I would put money on your trans being perfectly fine man. I would also since your in there replace the entire clutch not just the disc and get your flywheel resurfaced.

As far as time, even if you guys have never done this on this car before 7.5 hours seems pretty steep for this job. I just changed my clutch since I busted my last one and took me under 2 hours to pull my trans by myself. Probably 3 to put it back and thats because I was checking out everything to be sure nothing else was damaged.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks 03lances for your input. You are correct in the throwout bearing being bad from the clutch noise.

The reason I was told the transmission may need to be replaced is because input shaft bearing was in pieces. It's not a Mits. Dealership so they don't want to open the trans and not be able to put it together. Is this fairly easy to do? If so, I may just buy a trans repair kit around $200 and just do it myself while saving $200 on the replacement transmission I would have purchased.

Unfortunately, I need to fix the transmission prior to replacing the throwout bearing/slave cylinder and clutch discs. The flywheel and pressure plate have recently been replaced so they told me it would be fine if I could just order the disc and t/o bearing/slave cylinder.

Originally Posted by 03lances
Normally if your trans makes noise but stops when the clutch is pushed in means the throwout bearing is bad. Your throwout bearing and slave cylinder are one in the same. Unless you have other symptoms your not telling us then I would put money on your trans being perfectly fine man. I would also since your in there replace the entire clutch not just the disc and get your flywheel resurfaced.

As far as time, even if you guys have never done this on this car before 7.5 hours seems pretty steep for this job. I just changed my clutch since I busted my last one and took me under 2 hours to pull my trans by myself. Probably 3 to put it back and thats because I was checking out everything to be sure nothing else was damaged.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dallas02ozRally
Thanks 03lances for your input. You are correct in the throwout bearing being bad from the clutch noise.

The reason I was told the transmission may need to be replaced is because input shaft bearing was in pieces. It's not a Mits. Dealership so they don't want to open the trans and not be able to put it together. Is this fairly easy to do? If so, I may just buy a trans repair kit around $200 and just do it myself while saving $200 on the replacement transmission I would have purchased.

Unfortunately, I need to fix the transmission prior to replacing the throwout bearing/slave cylinder and clutch discs. The flywheel and pressure plate have recently been replaced so they told me it would be fine if I could just order the disc and t/o bearing/slave cylinder.
Transmissions in general are pretty complex inside, lots and lots of gears. If you have the time and are mechanically inclined I would say go for it. However if you need this up and going asap I say get the other trans for now that way you can be back on the road. You can always buy the repair kit later and fix that trans and either have it for a spare or sell it to recoupe some costs.