Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

02 OZ Rally Clutch install

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 OZ Rally Clutch install

So today i finished the clutch install, and this was my first FWD clutch install, I am sure if I did this as many times as I have on a rwd platform I could do it just as quick but man it was a pain lol.

I will add these for people doing the install

*Remove battery and the Intake (not the intake manifold)
*The starter is located under the intake manifold (crappy location but thats Mitsubishi's fault)
*Make sure the engine is supported pretty decently without the support you cannot wiggle the trans back in, I made this mistake... (did I mention my first FWD clutch?)
*Have patience I have worked on a good amoun t of cars and have done everything from basic tuneups to complete engine builds, to even swapping an LS1 into other cars and this took me 13 hours to do the clutch
*For the Driveshafts/axle shafts getting in between cam be a pain in the *** but just work at it and get that pry bar in there (watch out for the seals though in the Tcase)
*Putting the axles back in I pushed on them using the shaft instead of pushing on the base, be careful not to pull on them though that could be bad.
*Otherwise search for the write up and another site has a good one

All in all I told the wife we are never buying another FWD car again haha, but really it wasn't too bad just getting the trans back in kicked my butt, I had the trans out in about 3.5 hours. So you can see just how much of a pain it was getting it back in without screwing anything up.

The car drives amazing now, at 160k miles and the clutch completely died last Friday, and when I say died it was worn down to the bare metal on the pressure plate side and to the rivets on the flywheel side, luckily a store near me in Riverside happen to have a stock flywheel for about $4 more than getting the old one resurfaced, I bought a new one.

I am glad that the daily driver is now back on the road if anyone in Riverside ever needs help let me know I have no problems helping out, just don't expect me to do all the work lol.

I will post a pic of the old clutch, I went with a stock replacement, SACHS kit from Oreilly, opened the box and there was exedy components in there, I was pretty pleased with that.

Last edited by ls1adam84; Oct 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: I did the math again and it was 13 hours to do the clutch not 10