Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Lancer ES AWD Conversion

Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Lancer ES AWD Conversion

Wow... That was annoying. I just about finished writing this and then accidentally closed out the tab. Forgive me if I miss anything writing this the second time around. Okay. Anyway. Hi! I'm new to this forum as I'm sure you've noticed, but I'm certainly not new to cars. I've spent the last few years learning all I can without formal schooling - reading, researching, and tinkering with my own car. I currently don't have a Lancer, but I'm looking now and I'd like the get one soon. I have a 1998 Mitsubishi 3000GT, and I love it, but -unfortunately- because I drive for work and have to constantly chauffeur people, I need a four-door with better gas mileage. Again, I'm new to the forum, so I hope this isn't against any rules, but if there's by chance anybody in or around Florida that wants to trade their 08+ MT lancer for a 3000GT... I may just fall in love with you. But anyway, I digress! Apologies, moving on...

To the point! I'm looking to get a 08+ Lancer ES MT, mostly because that's what I can afford. If I could afford the Ralliart, I'd get one in a heartbeat. That being said, I realize that the drivetrain swap is going to be expensive. I'm not planning to do it right away. The car is going to be a mix of a daily driver and a project car. I've done a lot of research on this already, and I know it's been discussed a bit, but I have more specific questions than what were on those posts. I realize that it's going to make the car slower in the straights, but frankly, if I wanted to get a car that can go in a straight line, I'd get an American piece of poo. I want to have a car that's fun to drive every day, but that can drive off the pavement and around corners like nothing else. Plus, an AWD conversion is a lot of work and many people see it as pointless- I see that as a challenge that I'd love to overcome.

Okay! So on to my specific questions. I think my best bet would be the AWD system from the Ralliart, since I've read in multiple places that that's a direct bolt-on. But drivetrains aren't my forte, so I don't yet know everything that would be involved. From what I've read, I would also need to replace the transmission. Now, that wouldn't be a problem if the Ralliart came in a true manual. But since it doesn't, what can I do? Would I definitely *need* to replace my transmission? Could an EVO transmission bolt on to the Ralliart drivetrain? Aside from those, what else would I need, and exactly what work would be involved? I know there's something having to do with electronics, but I don't know what, and also, would I have to replace the exhaust system? That wouldn't be a big deal, I want to do it anyway.

I'll probably have more questions, and I'm positive that some of this will be ridiculously obvious to some people, so I'm sorry for seeming stupid. But regardless, I greatly appreciate any help provided, and I formally thank you Sirs and Madams!
Old Dec 7, 2012, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

I've clicked CTRL+W instead of SHIFT+W before and closed out my browser during a long post before (back when I used firefox)

You'll probably get many forum goers tell you to just buy an evo or ralliart, despite what you said about money issues...

That said, if you have to ask such general questions, I wouldn't recommend it. You need to know what you're doing because there will probably be a lot of fabrication involved... I don't own an 08+, just my 2 cents. These swaps are never as easy as they're drawn out on paper.

Good luck with the purchase
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by WangMan
I've clicked CTRL+W instead of SHIFT+W before and closed out my browser during a long post before (back when I used firefox)

You'll probably get many forum goers tell you to just buy an evo or ralliart, despite what you said about money issues...

That said, if you have to ask such general questions, I wouldn't recommend it. You need to know what you're doing because there will probably be a lot of fabrication involved... I don't own an 08+, just my 2 cents. These swaps are never as easy as they're drawn out on paper.

Good luck with the purchase
Thanks for your imput, and sorry it took so long for me to respond. I realize it won't be easy, and I'm kind of looking into this half for fun and half because there's a chance I *may* eventually do it. But I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm definitely not doing this any time soon. I'm not even going to think about starting until I know every bolt in the system. Which is why I'm asking such general questions, because I don't know much about it *yet,* Every great mechanic out there didn't know anything about cars in the past. So I'd really like to find out as much as I can about this from people who have worked on the cars firsthand, it's hard to find everything I need without having schematics of the car or something. Anyway, thanks again!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

You say your reasoning for wanting to do this is because you can't afford a ralliart, but the cost to do this would amount to much more than the price differential between a used base lancer and a used ralliart. If you want an inexpensive used awd car, a base impreza is a better choice.

*edit* If you're looking for a drivetrain project that's actually feasible, there is the ability to convert the impreza to rwd. All that is required for that is to remove the front axles and weld the differential.

Last edited by ever12; Dec 21, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

+10000^
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:32 PM
Evolving Member

Ive seen low mileage Evo 8's and higher mileage IX's go for the same price as low mileage 08+ sedans. just my two cents.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:47 PM

Well of course it would cost more in the long run- but that's the point. I need a new car soon, I don't need to have all I want in the car any time soon. Besides, I can spend all the time that I have while I plan how to do it looking for good deals and getting everything I need one piece at a time. Which, again, is the point. Not paying all at once, but over a period of time. People keep missing the point that I don't want something crazy fast and I don't need it *now.* I want to have a fun project car that I've spent my blood sweat and tears on over years of working and tinkering. That's what makes it *mine.* That's what makes it a real project car... I was born a few decades too late, wasn't I? xD Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions, but I'd really like the answer to my actual question if anybody knows it.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

>AWD system from the Ralliart, since I've read in multiple places that that's a direct bolt-on.

I don't see how that's possible given that the lancer doesn't even have spaces for the transfer case, drive shaft, rear diff, ect.

>Would I definitely *need* to replace my transmission?

Yes

>Could an EVO transmission bolt on to the Ralliart drivetrain?

Yes, evo X SST bolts up but you'll prob also need an evo x ECU to talk to the TCU, tuning, wiring, etc.

>would I have to replace the exhaust system?

It's probably going to be in the way so yes.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

http://mitsubishicars.com/lancer-line-up/awc/se.html

Not much more than a brand new ES... saves you A WHOLE LOT OF HEADACHES... believe me, if this option was available to me, I would have just gotten this.

But to be honest, I totally agree with your whole mantra about tackling a challenge, but if you had to ask questions about how to do this in the first place, it just looks like you're not ready to partake in such a feat...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Panis
>AWD system from the Ralliart, since I've read in multiple places that that's a direct bolt-on.

I don't see how that's possible given that the lancer doesn't even have spaces for the transfer case, drive shaft, rear diff, ect.

>Would I definitely *need* to replace my transmission?

Yes

>Could an EVO transmission bolt on to the Ralliart drivetrain?

Yes, evo X SST bolts up but you'll prob also need an evo x ECU to talk to the TCU, tuning, wiring, etc.

>would I have to replace the exhaust system?

It's probably going to be in the way so yes.
Awesome! Thank you so much! Let me make sure I have the basics down:

I will have to possibly do some frame alteration.. The gas tank in the Ralliart is slightly smaller, so I may also have to switch that out... I'm not sure what else could get in the way, since I haven't actually seen under the cars yet. Is there anything you know of?

As far as the transmission goes, it looks like you're talking about a transmission like is in the Ralliart and Evo MR, with the paddle shifters. I'm looking to try to put in the true manual transmission. Does that mean I would have to put in the Evo GSR drivetrain, or will the Evo GSR ECU be able to work properly with the Ralliart drivetrain?

That's pretty much all the information that I should need now, as long as there aren't any more issues that come up.

Originally Posted by MarkOJ1011
http://mitsubishicars.com/lancer-line-up/awc/se.html

Not much more than a brand new ES... saves you A WHOLE LOT OF HEADACHES... believe me, if this option was available to me, I would have just gotten this.

But to be honest, I totally agree with your whole mantra about tackling a challenge, but if you had to ask questions about how to do this in the first place, it just looks like you're not ready to partake in such a feat...
Thank you, but I really can't afford something *brand* new. :/ But I totally know I'm not ready. This is yeeeaaars down the road I'm looking, I'm just trying to learn all I can now so that when I actually *can* do it, I will be ready. 'Course, between now and then I may get rich and be able to afford trading in for a newish Evo... In which case... Yeeeeeeaaaahh I'd proooobably do that. I honestly would probably go for an older generation Evo now, but I just don't trust the people that have owned them. Except for some rare occasions, they drive them super hard all the time or rice them out. Plus their gas mileage is no where near as good as the base Lancers. I want to get something that's completely stock and is likely to not have been driven hard, because I want the car to actually last me a long time.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 04:47 AM
Evolving Member

>I'm looking to try to put in the true manual transmission.

You'll have to ditch ralliart components and rip the drivetrain/subframe from a GSR.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wesley3xL
Thank you, but I really can't afford something *brand* new. :/ But I totally know I'm not ready. This is yeeeaaars down the road I'm looking, I'm just trying to learn all I can now so that when I actually *can* do it, I will be ready. 'Course, between now and then I may get rich and be able to afford trading in for a newish Evo... In which case... Yeeeeeeaaaahh I'd proooobably do that. I honestly would probably go for an older generation Evo now, but I just don't trust the people that have owned them. Except for some rare occasions, they drive them super hard all the time or rice them out. Plus their gas mileage is no where near as good as the base Lancers. I want to get something that's completely stock and is likely to not have been driven hard, because I want the car to actually last me a long time.

Ill lend you a couple of pieces of advice. And be forwarned, im not trying to burst your bubble or deny you the right to build something. Just sharing some info ive come to find...

Any kind of sports vehicle has been driven hard. People dont buy sporty cars to putt around in. Thats what camrys are for. I bought nothing but stock low mileage sports cars for a long time, has issues with every one. I bought my IX modded and so far it hasnt skipped a beat. People who spend money on mods (and im talking quality mods, not ebay shiz) also tend to spend money on maintence. For example, the previous owner of my IX put nothing but Amsoil fluids in it, its whole life.

My biggest piece of advice to you would be if you are just dead set on building something from the ground up, buy a nice evo roller (ive seen more than a few in the past couple of months) and build it to your liking.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by ever12
You say your reasoning for wanting to do this is because you can't afford a ralliart, but the cost to do this would amount to much more than the price differential between a used base lancer and a used ralliart. If you want an inexpensive used awd car, a base impreza is a better choice.

*edit* If you're looking for a drivetrain project that's actually feasible, there is the ability to convert the impreza to rwd. All that is required for that is to remove the front axles and weld the differential.
This. You will never do this as cheaply and as well as Mitsubishi. If you want an AWD Lancer, trade your car in for an AWD Lancer or buy one used. Converting to AWD isn't something you can do piece by piece. You need all the parts for it to work. The cost of buying and installing those parts, plus the down time, won't be cheap.

Last edited by ambystom01; Dec 26, 2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Panis
>I'm looking to try to put in the true manual transmission.

You'll have to ditch ralliart components and rip the drivetrain/subframe from a GSR.
Ahh, okay, thank you! Does this mean that I still have to replace the transmission at all? There may or may not have been some confusion about that earlier.

Originally Posted by Xplosiv
Ill lend you a couple of pieces of advice. And be forwarned, im not trying to burst your bubble or deny you the right to build something. Just sharing some info ive come to find...

Any kind of sports vehicle has been driven hard. People dont buy sporty cars to putt around in. Thats what camrys are for. I bought nothing but stock low mileage sports cars for a long time, has issues with every one. I bought my IX modded and so far it hasnt skipped a beat. People who spend money on mods (and im talking quality mods, not ebay shiz) also tend to spend money on maintence. For example, the previous owner of my IX put nothing but Amsoil fluids in it, its whole life.

My biggest piece of advice to you would be if you are just dead set on building something from the ground up, buy a nice evo roller (ive seen more than a few in the past couple of months) and build it to your liking.
I honestly hadn't thought of that. That's an excellent point. It's still pretty hit-or-miss whether people take care of their cars like that, but you're right, I guess people who put quality parts on cars generally would take care of them. I've been looking at 08+ ES and GTS models, most are actually totally stock, so I guess it's pretty hard to tell what the previous owners were like without a very close inspection...

Anyway, thank you very much for your advice. I've said this several times already, but again, mostly I'm looking into this for the knowledge of the systems. Like I said before, by the time I actually gain the knowledge and money to do this I may have enough money to buy an Evo X. I definitely want the new model of the car though, otherwise I probably would go for an older model. I need the space/comfort/gas mileage more than anything, which is another reason I'm getting the base model of the car now.

Thanks again everyone!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Would the AWC from the Lancer SE be a plausible solution?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lancer ES AWD Conversion