Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Tranmissions swap?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tranmissions swap?

Theoretically speaking, if I were to change the transmission, would it be worth it to swap out the A/T for M/T? What would I need to do to successfully change it and how much money and time would be needed to apply all of it? Just popped in my mind, I do want to modify but I know I'm limited to what i can do with a car with A/T. If so, Any suggestions. If not so then I can always buy another with M/T, but what's your take on this?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 08:41 AM

I was wondering the same thing. I was talking to someone from R/T Tuning in Lansdale yesterday and asked the same question. They told me that I'd be better off selling my car/trading it in and getting a M/T car. The guy I talked to said that it's a lot more than just bolting on another transmission. Not to mention the price. He said it'd be about $3k. And to go from CVT/Auto to an SST, it'd be about $7k. So it's not worth it. You'll be a lot happier if you trade it in and get a M/T car.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:32 PM

Well the sst is kinda strange to me which does throw me away from it, what picked my interest was the cvt which is very clever , don't get me wrong I like how they've come so far but if any of the two were to go bad would be pretty hectic especially with the way things are going nowadays. I'm happy with what I got but I would love to have a contingency should it happen, so that's the reason being theoretical question.

Last edited by Jordan Tanaka; Nov 23, 2013 at 07:45 PM.