Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

4g64 Swap 03 Lancer ES Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2014, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4g64 Swap 03 Lancer ES Transmission help

Hi,
I have a 2003 Lancer ES (automatic) that me and my buddy are working on. We are currently running into an issue with the transmission portion of the swap and are wondering if any of you on here have any other input to help.

The goal was to swap to a 5speed trans once the 4g64 swap was done. Currently the lancer is automatic. What would be the "easiest" cost efficient way to swap to 5speed trans for 4g64.

Would it be more cost effective to buy manual trans from 3rd gen Eclipse and buy custom axles?
Or buy 3rd gen 5speed, Lancer 5speed and swap internals? (for the purpose of not having to buy custom axles)

Another possibility that i dont know of is swapping differentials? Ex; Using the Diff out of the Auto Lancer trans and swapping it into the 3rd gen manual trans. would that work or would the gears from the 3rd gen not go together with the lancers diff? I know that the differentials are different from auto and manual, but theoretically speaking, would it work?

Really stuck between what to do here. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO** Our budget is limited to $2k, we've spent roughly $500 on engine swap and rebuild, and want to keep the transmission swap within this budget. I also dont know prices of custom axles.... Any inout/ Info you guys have will help! Thanks in advance
Old Oct 30, 2014, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by aznalan
Hi,
I have a 2003 Lancer ES (automatic) that me and my buddy are working on. We are currently running into an issue with the transmission portion of the swap and are wondering if any of you on here have any other input to help.

The goal was to swap to a 5speed trans once the 4g64 swap was done. Currently the lancer is automatic. What would be the "easiest" cost efficient way to swap to 5speed trans for 4g64.

Would it be more cost effective to buy manual trans from 3rd gen Eclipse and buy custom axles?
Or buy 3rd gen 5speed, Lancer 5speed and swap internals? (for the purpose of not having to buy custom axles)

Another possibility that i dont know of is swapping differentials? Ex; Using the Diff out of the Auto Lancer trans and swapping it into the 3rd gen manual trans. would that work or would the gears from the 3rd gen not go together with the lancers diff? I know that the differentials are different from auto and manual, but theoretically speaking, would it work?

Really stuck between what to do here. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

ALSO** Our budget is limited to $2k, we've spent roughly $500 on engine swap and rebuild, and want to keep the transmission swap within this budget. I also dont know prices of custom axles.... Any inout/ Info you guys have will help! Thanks in advance
does your bell housing have two spots for the starter? cause 4G6x engines have the starter on the front of the block...

you can't use an auto diff in a manual, because it lacks the speedometer drive gears, which are machined into the diff case in a manual transmission. physically it will fit, and will work, but you won't have a speedometer...

also another problem with swapping to manual, aside from all the fabrication, is the ECU, cluster, and wiring.

if you can get the 3g axles, A1 CV tech makes custom axles for $200 each...i had mine modified with cadillac CTS CV joints, and a thicker custom shaft.