Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Question: 02 oz rally manual transmission in 04 lancer es

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: 02 oz rally manual transmission in 04 lancer es

I was wondering if you can take a manual transmission out of a 02 oz rally and put it into a 04 lancer es? Because doesn't it have the same engine?
Old Jan 1, 2015, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yeah...I think the gear rarios are slightly different...but yes, it should work...assuming the diff splines are the same...
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:30 AM

Alright thanks for the reply and I was also wondering could I use the oz rally ecu or just have to bypass the neutral safety switch
Old Jan 2, 2015, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Actually i don't think u can do that since the 02-03 have an internal slave and the 04-06 have an external slave cylinder
Old Jan 3, 2015, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

change the slave...it's like $30
Old Jan 4, 2015, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
change the slave...it's like $30
You have to keep in mind that the clutch oil lines will probably not be the same on the 03 and the 04+
Old Jan 4, 2015, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

it's just a hydraulic brake line...you can make your own, and it's cheap...there's a flex line from the master to the transmission...after that, it doesn't need to be flexible...
Old Jan 5, 2015, 03:01 AM

So the pedal kit should just bolt up to the body or do I have to make any modifications? Then mount to master cylinder from the engine side of the firewall to the clutch pedal bolts then run a flex line from the master cylinder to the external slave and have the slave connected to the pivot arm?
Old Jan 5, 2015, 03:11 AM

Why can't I just run flex line to the internal slave they both do the same thing just change line
Old Jan 5, 2015, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wesleylawson6
Why can't I just run flex line to the internal slave they both do the same thing just change line
yes you can do that....will just cost more..

So the pedal kit should just bolt up to the body or do I have to make any modifications? Then mount to master cylinder from the engine side of the firewall to the clutch pedal bolts then run a flex line from the master cylinder to the external slave and have the slave connected to the pivot arm?
wait a minute...is your car currently automatic?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 03:06 AM

Yes it is I'm sorry I did not put that in my description
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

yeah, pretty sure you need an ECU/control harness, some people have done it, but it's a big job, there's wiring behind the dash that needs to replaced/removed, you'll also need the shifter/base, shift cables etc. so you need to pull the dash out. you need the whole pedal assembly with the interlock switch...not sure if the auto has the mounting points or not...you'll need the clutch master, again mounting points may or may not be there. rear tranny mount I'm pretty sure is different. you probably need a brake reservoir if the auto doesn't have the tap off for the master, you'll need the slave, flywheel, clutch, transmission...you'll probably need a gauge cluster for a manual as well, but I'm not entirely sure....there are threads on the subject but it's not as simple as you might think...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
yeah, pretty sure you need an ECU/control harness, some people have done it, but it's a big job, there's wiring behind the dash that needs to replaced/removed, you'll also need the shifter/base, shift cables etc. so you need to pull the dash out. you need the whole pedal assembly with the interlock switch...not sure if the auto has the mounting points or not...you'll need the clutch master, again mounting points may or may not be there. rear tranny mount I'm pretty sure is different. you probably need a brake reservoir if the auto doesn't have the tap off for the master, you'll need the slave, flywheel, clutch, transmission...you'll probably need a gauge cluster for a manual as well, but I'm not entirely sure....there are threads on the subject but it's not as simple as you might think...
The mounting points for the clutch pedal assembly won't be there unfortunately, and you will need to cut a circle through the firewall to accommodate the master cylinder assembly and to properly bolt up the pedal assembly flush/flat with the firewall.

The gauge cluster is interchangable so that you can keep. Fortunately the brake reservoir can be used with the 5spd master, too.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 04:08 PM

I was gonna buy the whole oz rally car that has been wrecked found it for cheap. I was just wondering if that year you could swap cause I know one of the years you couldn't and yeah I know it will be a big job I just want it to be a learning experience and I'm going to uti been learning a lot so I'm not as dumb as you'd think but I'm not saying I'm a genius lol I just have a dream for working on cars sport bikes etc anything mechanical and only 19 years old
Old Jan 6, 2015, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I was gonna buy the whole oz rally car that has been wrecked found it for cheap. I was just wondering if that year you could swap cause I know one of the years you couldn't and yeah I know it will be a big job I just want it to be a learning experience and I'm going to uti been learning a lot so I'm not as dumb as you'd think but I'm not saying I'm a genius lol I just have a dream for working on cars sport bikes etc anything mechanical and only 19 years old
all things considered, it's not a difficult swap and most everything should be compatible. good luck!