Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

03 Lancer ES tranny issue?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
03 Lancer ES tranny issue?

I might have a tranny or clutch issue on my 2003 Lancer ES 5-spd

Sometimes:

I get a clunk or it pops out of 1st gear when going from a stop

I get a clunk or a loud gnashing sound going into reverse, if I hold the shifter in reverse, and release the clutch, it will clunk (while pushing against my hand to try and pop out) but will work in reverse

I am slowing down rapidly in 2nd, and it wont let me shift out even with the clutch in

Not sure if it is related, but I have a whirring sound (like when you drive on the shoulder) coming from what sounds to be the right front. It isn't the tires (although I do have the tires inflated to the max PSI), and front to rear on the tires doesn't matter. sound gets louder with more speed, and is present at all speeds. noise is the same whether the clutch is out or in, and it isn't a motor noise either

I have done a lot of hills and wouldn't be surprised if my clutch is going... I have smelled that funny smell

Is it possible my tranny might be low on fluid (I can check it, just haven't yet)? Or do you all think it is something else?
Old May 4, 2015, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
check that your cable end bushings can move freely...
Old May 4, 2015, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

on the transmission shifter or where?

I do have an FSM, and I am going to try and look at that right now
Old May 4, 2015, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

which part?
Old May 6, 2015, 08:53 PM
Evolved Member

make sure 6 and 7 are moving freely on the shift levers on the control housing...
Old May 9, 2015, 03:34 AM
Evolving Member

6 and 7 seem fine, I do have a lot of gear whine also, I may need to add some tranny fluid

as for the whirring noise... IT'S GONE!!!! Got off my butt today and fixed it... it wasa night mare, but oh well.... $205 later.... has a new lower control arm ($108), new bearing ($22), and new brakes (brakes were under warranty from autozone, all of a sudden yesterday, they were just really loud, no grinding, but really loud, only a few months old too) $68 from napa to remove the old bearing and press in the new one, it was really stuck (or else I would have just done it with the wood and hammer press method ).... the C clip wouldn't even rotate, they had to cut it out, and put in a new one
Old May 10, 2015, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

that's good to know...and yeah if you have gear whine replace/top up the transmission oil...if it still whines you've probably worn the gears and they have excessive backlash...popping out of gear could be gear damage, damaged or missing detent or it could simply be a control/linkage problem...
Old May 11, 2015, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
that's good to know...and yeah if you have gear whine replace/top up the transmission oil...if it still whines you've probably worn the gears and they have excessive backlash...popping out of gear could be gear damage, damaged or missing detent or it could simply be a control/linkage problem...
ok, so my tranny is toast!!!!! got royal purple for it, cracked open the drain plug....4 oz came out!!!!!!! i kid you not......!!!!!! put in 2.5 qts of royal purple, and drove it.... about 100 mies later, went to shift into reverse, it popped out, did its noise, and would not go in at all.... couldn't even hold it into gear this time...... went ok, started driving home, hit hte freeway, going htrough the gears, and now, 5th gear wont work, like completely locked out, the shifter goes from nuetral, over to the right, but will not shift up... and still same issue with the reverse.... just makes a bad sound, but wont engage reverse

with the car off, it still wont go into 5th. although, it will go into R, just wont do it with the motor on

can anyone help?! this is our only car right now...... and both my wife and I use it to make our livings.....

looking @ trying to get a used one, and everyone wants $750 ---- rebuilt is looking like $2000

I am in the SF Bay Area
Old May 12, 2015, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jimbo74
ok, so my tranny is toast!!!!! got royal purple for it, cracked open the drain plug....4 oz came out!!!!!!! i kid you not......!!!!!! put in 2.5 qts of royal purple, and drove it.... about 100 mies later, went to shift into reverse, it popped out, did its noise, and would not go in at all.... couldn't even hold it into gear this time...... went ok, started driving home, hit hte freeway, going htrough the gears, and now, 5th gear wont work, like completely locked out, the shifter goes from nuetral, over to the right, but will not shift up... and still same issue with the reverse.... just makes a bad sound, but wont engage reverse

with the car off, it still wont go into 5th. although, it will go into R, just wont do it with the motor on

can anyone help?! this is our only car right now...... and both my wife and I use it to make our livings.....

looking @ trying to get a used one, and everyone wants $750 ---- rebuilt is looking like $2000

I am in the SF Bay Area

wow, that sucks...did you not notice the car leaving puddles anywhere? I don't want to sound like a dick, but there should have been some early warning sign that there was literally no oil in the gear box...You may have clutch problems as well, if you can shift with the engine off, but not with it running..

Target Auto wrecking in san diego has 2, one is $750 the other doesn't list a price, Allied auto salvage in riverside has one for $600...M&M Imports in Fontana had one for $600 as well...

I would not pay for a rebuild if it were me...just swap it and be done with it...shouldn't take more than a few hours...new rear main seal and clutch would be a VERY good idea...and I'm very sorry for your misfortune, but they say check your engine oil every time you fill up...tranny oil doesn't get burned through the motor, it just leaks out....I check and change mine once a year, but keep an eye out for puddles, and a ear out for strange noises...
Old May 12, 2015, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

no leaks or indication at all..

if I would have noticed a leak, I would have looked into it a long time ago.

$600 is out of the budget right now --- so not really sure what is going to happen at this point
Old May 12, 2015, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

well it's hard even to get a beater on the road for that price, unless you can finance a beater, you might have to sell some meth or something....

just kidding, don't do that...do you have any friends or relatives that can help you out? maybe call the wreckers and see if they will negotiate the price...
Old May 19, 2015, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

is this the correct rebuild kit?

Amazon.com: F5M42 5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION REBUILD KIT WITH SYNCHRO RINGS FITS '01+ DODGE & MITSUBISHI: Automotive Amazon.com: F5M42 5-SPEED MANUAL TRANSMISSION REBUILD KIT WITH SYNCHRO RINGS FITS '01+ DODGE & MITSUBISHI: Automotive

in the listing of what fits, it shows lancer, but then says 2.4l..... mine is a 2.0... also with 3 piece synchros
Old May 19, 2015, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think Cranswick has a good idea about dropping in a used transmission. I live in a rural area and managed to find a entire lancer for parts for $600. Just look around online (craigslist) for a car thats been t-boned or rear ended. A transmission swap would probably take 5-6 hours for a first timer. The transmissions in the lancers are pretty good.

If your transmission is toast you might as well swap it. The housing might have got hot and warped. Its cheaper and faster. Just be sure to put a new rear main seal. It sounds like thats where the gear oil went if you didn't have any leaks. Don't forget a clutch and throw out bearing as well.
Old May 19, 2015, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

a used transmission is out of the question they want between $800 and $1200. I will be rebuilding mine. apparently, the manual transmission lancers are rare so I have been told.
Old May 20, 2015, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think just manual cars in general. LOL Its a great anti-theft device.

Quick Reply: 03 Lancer ES tranny issue?