Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

automatic to manual tranny swap

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2004, 05:29 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question automatic to manual tranny swap

ok. i had a manual lancer oz....crashed it....bought an automatic. there's my background. i bought back my totalled lancer and parted it out. still have some parts available if anyones interested. the tranny from my old lancer is fine and intact. i want to do a tranny swap, but before i do, i wanted to know if anyone has had any problems with their cars after the conversion. please do not turn this into a money issue. i've got both tranny's and all the extras. liquid and i plan on doing it ourselves. i was just interested to know if anyones had any problems after the swap. thanx for any info.
Old May 2, 2004, 05:43 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

i'm positive that no one on this site has converted a 02+ lancer from automatic to manual. why? expensive for labour, but most importantly PARTS. obviously our lancers are pretty new, so your not going to find affordable used parts (like say junkyard for instance). anyways with that being said if you have all the parts, everything SHOULD go smoothly. the only thing that might be a problem is the actual transmission mount. i've never checked, but on some cars the automatic transmission sits bigger/wider/taller than a manual (obviously the automatic transmission is bigger). so you should make sure that it pretty much sits the same. if not your going to have to find someone who can fabricate a mount for you. you dont want to off balance the drive axles, because if you start to race/beat on the car, you could start snapping axles (a couple of people i know have done this with their honda's). and pretty much the last possibilty are the axles themselves. just make sure they are interchangeable. they should be the same, but just make sure.
Old May 2, 2004, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

i dont know too much about this, so i am going to just keep it real short.

I think this would be a cool idea and think, since you have all the parts and dont need to worry about the money and parts, why not go for it? I have an automatic transmission, so if yours goes well, perhaps I will give a whack at it.

THe only thing i would say, is that listen to what .L. said about how the auto tranny is bigger and you need it sitting correctly. You dont want to break something that will end up costing a fortune, hehe

Good luck brother and hope it goes well, and definatly let us all know if you do go ahead and do it and how it works out.
Old May 2, 2004, 05:53 PM
Account Disabled

if all goes according to plan...it should go down quite soon so i'll keep ya posted. thanx for the support bro!
Old May 2, 2004, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

awesome, im really excited to see how this works out. I like having a automatic lancer for when I am tired comming home from work at 1am, but would love to have a manual just for when i race (lol) try to go fast is what i ment to say.
Old May 2, 2004, 06:09 PM
Account Disabled

race? not on the street of course! lol we members of evom.net always abide to all traffic safety laws and regulations... lol no, but if all goes well, and i have no problems with the conversion, i'm goin for the turbo, so liquid and i can own the streets of jersey. lol also if ur interested in doing urs, maybe liquid and i will take on the job for ya.
Old May 7, 2004, 04:09 PM

I also have an automatic. If all goes well, I'll give it a shot too.
Old May 8, 2004, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

any progress on thsi, i know its only been a couple days, but im still excited and im-patient
Old May 8, 2004, 09:10 AM
Account Disabled

haha not yet, but soon..just gotta get everything together and make sure im not forgettin anything. nuttin worse then tearing apart your car and runnin into a problem
Old May 8, 2004, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

haha i know what u mean
Old May 8, 2004, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

good luck man
Old May 11, 2004, 07:20 AM
Account Disabled

ok, i wanna do this, but the **** just keeps gettin pushed back! it may take a few weeks to get started, but this will get done!
Old May 11, 2004, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

It is definitely going to take some time for that.
Old May 31, 2004, 02:28 PM
Account Disabled

its finally goin down.. i got off from work all week. and its now or never, wish me luck guys....were startin tomorrow. i'll keep everyone posted!!!! .....fingers crossed.....
Old Jun 10, 2004, 09:49 AM
Account Disabled

tranny swap is a no go! check it out....got everything ready, bought all the tools, everything i need to do the job....start the job with liquid and tear out my entire dash. i had to go home to eat dinner and my parents see my car. they totally knew about the tranny swap and gave me the ok. when they saw my dash missing, something changed their minds...now theyve threatened to sell my car if i do the swap...theyve offered to buy me a used yellow lancer oz with a m/t. but with all the mods i have done to this one, it'll take forever to do the trade out...i'm hatin this right now!

Quick Reply: automatic to manual tranny swap