Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

possible clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2003, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible clutch problem

i'll make this short and sweet...nottttttttt !
i noticed yesterday that my car now sounds like a diesel engine... not in a good way.
when my car is on and i'm outside of it i can hear this pretty noticable clanking noise that is there constantly but every 30 seconds or so i hear it even louder for about 5 second. then it goes back to a soft clanking.
i know it is related to the clutch because when i hop in my car and press down on the clutch the noise goes completely away and the car sounded absolutely silent.
i will take it to the dealer in a day or too .. what i need from you guys is 2 things.

1) what do you think it is (logical answer only pleaseee)?

2) i have an a-hole dealership where i bought the car and i do not want to go back there again . the last time they told me i had to go only to them. is this true? if not does anyone know of a really nice dealership in southern california (OC area) i could go to ?

p.s. last time i went to dealership they cursed me out and didn't want to touch the car at all because it had a short shifter. i went in to check on a rattle in the dash at 3000 rpm ..... like i said assssssssholeeessssssss

Last edited by M3 STYLELAB; Apr 30, 2003 at 11:01 AM.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Just go to a different dealership. Your warranty's good no matter which you go to. I have to say though that's ****ty and I don't know enough about transmissions and clutches to give a good diagnosis myself. If your car's not too far from stock (engine and drivetrain wise) I think that's your best bet. You should write a letter of complaint to MMC if your dealership refuses to even inspect your car for service however. That's absolute bull****.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Yup....go to a different dealership. IF you went there for the dash rattle, they should have looked at like, since the shifter has nothing to do with the dash rattle.

IF it turns out to be a problem with the tranny, they might give you ****. But the only way that it would void the warranty is if the shifter is waht caused the problem, which i doubt highly it is.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

i also highly doubt the short shifter since the lancer is drive by wire i think ... ( not directly linked to tranny) someone correct me...
OC people .. help a brother out i don't wanna go from dealership to dealership, cuz i'll end up hurting someone for sure.
if you know a dealership let me know i'm going to the costa mesa mitsu tommorow. wish me luck
anyone had this happen before on a lancer or any other car..?
Old Apr 30, 2003, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

mine makes same noise i think. I can hear it when im idling and open the door/stand outside. going to get it looked at at next service.
Old Apr 30, 2003, 05:12 PM

I would look at your fly wheel it might need resurfaced. If the sound goes away when you put in the clutch it's usually the fly wheel.
Old May 6, 2003, 01:03 AM

Could you please post which dealership this was as there are many in the OC area. My Lancer was purchased from Tustin Mitsubishi and luckily havent had to take it in yet for anything. Would like to avoid a hassle if I can.
Old May 7, 2003, 09:56 AM

i had the same kinda chatter coming from my old honda it was especially loud on cold days i had it checked out the guy said it was the input shaft bearing, or it could be one of the gears in the tranny did you miss any shifts and grind really bad
Old May 7, 2003, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

input shaft bearing or the idler bearing. or you could have broke a tooth on the idler gear or one of the other gears(all these components are spinning when the clutch is not pressed in) but first thing to check is the inputshaft bearing(on the flywheel). only other poibility i can think of would be a broken spring on the clutch. but that would make the clutch engage a little softer as those springs keep the friction material from ripping of the cluth assembly when the cluth is dumped. hope this helps
Old May 7, 2003, 11:44 AM
Evolving Member

took it to them
guess what?
the fu*king car refused to make that noise...
they had the car all day and nothing... i hate when that **** happenssss...grrrrrrrrrrrrrr
anyways i drove the car around and the problem really seemed to have disappeared.... not only that but the shifts are less notchy.... i think my car is possesed (spell?) ! anyways if i do hear it again i told them i would just drive straight to them so they can hear it.
Grinding: my car grinds like crazy, cuz the gear box is very notchy. so much so that sometimes you have to double clutch to get it in gear. i've been told over and over that this is how mitsu cars are, and how it will loosen up with time. i still know something is wrong.........maybe if i get the noise back and they hear it i'll get it all worked out. so yes my car grinds i'd say 80% of the times i take a trip in it.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 08:36 PM

I have the same noise, and when i push the clutch it stops also, any one else???
Old Jun 18, 2003, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Possibilities...

Clutch disk has a loose radial spring.
Throw-out bearing is bad.
Input shaft bearing on transmission is bad.

These are the 3 biggest possiblilties. If you can't shift though and have to double clutch it then the clutch is not releasing fully.
Oh I guess that gives me one more possibility a bad pressure plate with either broken or distorted fingers.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 10:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have that too. is it not normal?
Old Dec 15, 2010, 05:59 AM

sounds to me like you guys are all in need of input shaft bearings
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

bring it back from the dead I would hope in the 7 years that past its fixed by now

Quick Reply: possible clutch problem