Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

how do i reset the "service soon" light?

Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how do i reset the "service soon" light?

i got my oil changed at the dealer (took 3 hours to do) and they forgot to reset that service needed soon light you see on the dash lights. wheres the button to reset it?
Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

3 hours for an oil change? hope it was free. next time go to a jiffy lube or something, for like $20 they'll change your oil, rotate your tires, etc. in like 15 minutes.
EDIT: or do it yourself. much cheaper.

to reset the light you need to go back to the dealer if it doesn't turn off in a couple days.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:18 PM

kinda free... they give me every other oil change free if i go consecutively. plus they do a 27-point inspection and free car wash. but they charge $30, so wtf. i guess ill look at that annoying message of checking my service soon light. but fuq waitiing another 3 hours so a service guy at mitsu can go and push the button for me.
Old Nov 21, 2002, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

it's not a button....he needs to hook up the computer and reset the code.

$30 isn't bad for all that especially if they check all your fluids etc.
when i got my spoiler put on we were in the middle of a draught so they didn't wash my car...bastards. i haven't been back to the dealer since i got my plates.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Was the light on before you got the oil changed and just stayed on after? You have more problems than you may realize or change your oil at one hell of an exorbitant mileage. If anything, try unhooking your battery for about 15 minutes. Run the car and hopefully it'll go off if it was just your poor car telling you desperately to get an oil change. All else fails, get the code pulled at Auto Zone and find out what's really wrong.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 12:44 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, I just posted a thread like this a few hours ago (it is the same as the check engine light, right?) Check out one guy's suggestion. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=10499
I change my own oil. Costs me about $15 in oil and filter, but if you get every other one free, you might be saving more than me. But my service light never comes on for an oil change
Old Nov 22, 2002, 12:50 AM
Evolved Member

I've changed my oil since I was 16 (big whoop I'm all of 18 now) and had my van. Regardless, it's not his oil that was causing the problem I'm pretty sure unless he's never changed it and has like 10k miles on it (I really doubt the ECU has a tap on the oil pan plug). So, if he does reset it and it goes away, could've just been a fluke or he's got something else wrong. Your scenario was different in that you actually were able to fix the problem.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 12:58 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW, someone once told me you can plug a light bulb and wires somewhere into the car and read the light bulb (kinda like morse code) to get the dignosis a shop computer would. Is this true or someone just talking out of their @$$?
Old Nov 22, 2002, 01:01 AM
Evolved Member

I've heard it to but it was an onboard dash that supposedly blinks. I don't buy it all. I'm pretty sure manufacturers only want people with the appropriate equipment knowing what the ECU knows. Plus, you'd also kinda have to be able to decipher the "blinks". I'm waving my own BS flag on this.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 04:41 AM
Evolving Member

to reset that light, just disconnect the battery for like 15 mins. then that should get rid of it. if the light is a problem, it will come back on. if it comes back on u should get it looked at. it could be something as simple as your gas cap being on wrong or something. go to autozone or something and the offer free scanning of the ECU. the scanning will tell u the code. it will give you some kinda idea of where ur problem it. sometimes you can fix it easily but many times it'll just tell u to go see a mechanic cuz u won't understand the code lol. its free so give it a shop, not hurt in doing so.
Old Nov 22, 2002, 05:17 AM

with chevy's (maybe older ones, my 88 blazer had it) you could connect a wire to two points in a harness near your fuses and your CEL would blink in morse code sort of, giving you what was wrong with your engine. If it would blink once then pause, then twice, that was 12, which was everything is ok, then it would continue blinking in that fashion telling you what was wrong. They had the code listings in most Hayes manuals. Spiffy
Old Nov 22, 2002, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by pinoyesv6
to reset that light, just disconnect the battery for like 15 mins. then that should get rid of it. if the light is a problem, it will come back on. if it comes back on u should get it looked at. it could be something as simple as your gas cap being on wrong or something. go to autozone or something and the offer free scanning of the ECU. the scanning will tell u the code. it will give you some kinda idea of where ur problem it. sometimes you can fix it easily but many times it'll just tell u to go see a mechanic cuz u won't understand the code lol. its free so give it a shop, not hurt in doing so.
Was the light on before you got the oil changed and just stayed on after? You have more problems than you may realize or change your oil at one hell of an exorbitant mileage. If anything, try unhooking your battery for about 15 minutes. Run the car and hopefully it'll go off if it was just your poor car telling you desperately to get an oil change. All else fails, get the code pulled at Auto Zone and find out what's really wrong.
Hehehe...sounds so familiar to mine a few posts back... ^
Old Nov 22, 2002, 01:41 PM
Account Disabled

3 hours for an oil change?? dayum i hope it was free. my service light came on like after my first oil change and i took my car back to them and they turned it off. they turn it off after they change the oil i suppose