Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Lancer Fart?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2002, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer Fart?

heres the senerio, While driving with my windows cracked a couple inches sometimes I feel the need to romp on the gas, whether it be to pass someone or just to hear my exahust. If I only floor it for a few seconds everthing is cool, yet if I floor it all the way up to fifth (except when shifting) I get this weird sulfer smell. This only happens when my windows are down. Now first time this happend I did some investigating and found that it is NOT my ***. (my girlfriend smelled it too and said I smell worse ) anyways, I assume it would be something to do with my CAT (which I have not modified) but how would that smell be getting into the car while its moving. After a few seconds of coasting the smell fads and everthing thing is back to normal. Anyone else been having this problem?? Or know of a solution?
Old Dec 22, 2002, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

How old is you car? Most of the time this happens to the new cars, as they are being warn in and aren't used to the high revs yet, but it should be normal.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 09:45 AM
EvoM Guru

i only get it when i floor it in first and second, and then it starts to go away. with windows rolled up only also. i think i read somewhere that the stock fuel maps run rich or something. so i guess you're not alone on this one.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

if all else fails take it to the dealer
Old Dec 22, 2002, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by YellwTyper
How old is you car? Most of the time this happens to the new cars, as they are being warn in and aren't used to the high revs yet, but it should be normal.
My car is over a year old and has close to 22,000 miles. It should be pretty well worked in.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 10:15 AM

my cat farted once took it off and cat new one
Old Dec 22, 2002, 10:16 AM

stupid newbie
Old Dec 22, 2002, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Riight... anyway, I was going to ask rhyzin... dude, is it possible that what you're smelling is clutch? Not saying you can't drive, but, sometimes a hard launch and some hard shifting in first and second could give you that same smell from the clutch... which does not smell unlike sulfur...
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Entirely possible, SL. I've done ti before to my own car as well. I bet if you dropped gears into high revs yo'd get the same smell..not that I'm recommend you go around doing that just to produce a funny smell. Does it smell like burning or just like stink?
Old Dec 22, 2002, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Oh hell, I know I've done it tons of times.... sometimes you just launch with your left foot a little heavier than it needs to be, and you're rewarded with that awful smell.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

You are talking about riding the clutch. Riding the clutch usually happens to people that aren't familiar enough w/ their car, i.e.:SL. Just need more practice and not afraid to stall once in a while afterall which is worse, riding clutch or stalling?
Old Dec 22, 2002, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Uh, you really don't know me if you think that I'm not familiar with my car, or driving in general. Actually, you don't know me at all, haven't ridden with me, or seen me drive, so, hmm, please don't use me as an example ever again. Thanks.

Yes, it is true, riding the clutch is bad, and when I said I had done it tons of times, it was before I knew how to really drive... back when I was 15. I've done it maybe twice since I've had the Lancer, but, that was when I was becoming familiar with my car.
Old Dec 22, 2002, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

And if you read my post again, you'll see that all of it was basically sarcasm, because who would regard the smell of clutch-smoke as a reward?
Old Dec 22, 2002, 10:52 PM
EvoM Guru

yeah, could be clutch burning. so does this smell come when you "drop" the clutch into a new gear, or does it come if you let go of the clutch slowly into a new gear? i've actually been dropping it into the next gear. but then again, its starting to go away. maybe i'm getting better? naw... hehehe

but wait. i thought clutch burn actually smelled like burning? the smell i smell has this smell like hot dirty coins. take a handful of pennies and smell it. thats what it kinda smells like.
Old Dec 23, 2002, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

yeah clutch smells kinda like that, kindof a wierd discription, you might also check to see if you have a plastic bag stuck to something, my mom got a plastic bag stuck to the radiotor of her mustang and everytime you were at a stoplight it would stink, doesn't really sound like whats happening to you but you might wanna check

Quick Reply: Lancer Fart?